HX5V Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening ...

Started Feb 10, 2010 | Discussions
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611
HX5V Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening ...

Does anyone know if the HX5V has user settings for: Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening? Since no RAW, these settings are pretty important to me at least.
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +4 more
ron2000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,208
Re: HX5V Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening ...

As far as I can see, the on camera "retouching" functions are limited to RESIZE, RED EYE REMOVAL, and SHARPENING.

zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,044
Not likely...

Based on Sony's general trend since the T200 or so, Sony has removed the photo settings from all of their P&S cameras that I know of. It is one of the boneheaded moves they've made...though one can get by or live without it just fine, and I have with the TX1, one shouldn't have to. But oh well, if you know it going in, at least you can make an informed purchase and decide if those features are too important for you to consider the camera. So hopefully soon, someone with one can verify for sure, or the online user's guide will become available, and you'll know for sure. My money is on no!

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
Trafford
Trafford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,255

BertIverson wrote:

Does anyone know if the HX5V has user settings for: Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening? Since no RAW, these settings are pretty important to me at least.
Bert

It has manual, aperture and shutter priority so I would assume
Contrast, Saturation and Sharpening can be programmed
by settings.

OP BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611
Seems NO --- HX5V Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening ...

Seems the answer is NO. Here is a quote from the site below:
"Automatic White Balance YES
Light Metering (Multi Pattern) YES
Light Metering (Centre weighted) YES
Light Metering (Spot) YES
Sharpness Setting NO
Saturation Setting NO
Contrast Setting NO"
http://www.sony.lv/product/dsc-h-series/dsc-hx5v/tab/technicalspecs

Canon S90 for me I guess.
Bert

gail Forum Pro • Posts: 13,997
Re: Seems NO --- HX5V Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening ...

BertIverson wrote:

Canon S90 for me I guess.

I was seriously considering the HX5V until I read this thread. I'm keeping my s90 until a replacement comes along...or a worthy competitor.

If you can live with the ergonomics, as many do, the s90 is a great camera with excellent image quality and high ISO performance. Lots of user controls too, including flash compensation.
--
gail ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb

My Canon s90 BLOG: http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/canon-s90/canon-s90-first-impressions/

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
chupame Regular Member • Posts: 453

NO - same as the TX7 they are removed.

BUT I have the HX1 where all these settings can be activated and I did some major testing in all kinds of environments and after the test they went off permanently.
Why?
You loose to much detail with the limited settings.

Sure they look better on the small screen and more vivid on the big screen but let me show you with these crops what I mean:

the + sharpness and + vivid and + contrast settings are more destructive than the unchanged original.

I handle the original like some folks handle their RAW - straight out of the camera and when necessary fiddle with it...

If you really have a foto or a set of fotos, do yourself a big favor and look carefully what if you change these settings does to that actual picture.

I use a free and simple program to do it, with instead of just on setting to enhance I have 10 in each direction, and with a mouse click I can compare instantly.
What I use? Faststone Image Viewer

-- hide signature --
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,408

The samples are overexposed, which is why detail is lost. I would be lost without in-camera Sharpness, Contrast and Color adjustments. No deal for me with the HX5V.

chupame wrote:

NO - same as the TX7 they are removed.

BUT I have the HX1 where all these settings can be activated and I did some major testing in all kinds of environments and after the test they went off permanently.
Why?
You loose to much detail with the limited settings.

Sure they look better on the small screen and more vivid on the big screen but let me show you with these crops what I mean:

the + sharpness and + vivid and + contrast settings are more destructive than the unchanged original.

I handle the original like some folks handle their RAW - straight out of the camera and when necessary fiddle with it...

If you really have a foto or a set of fotos, do yourself a big favor and look carefully what if you change these settings does to that actual picture.

I use a free and simple program to do it, with instead of just on setting to enhance I have 10 in each direction, and with a mouse click I can compare instantly.
What I use? Faststone Image Viewer

-- hide signature --
chupame Regular Member • Posts: 453

dear Stephen, to each it´s own and a simple reply is enough you do not need to quote my just above post including the pictures.

and the pictures are not overexposed they are a crop as I mentioned above form a perfect exposed picture, next time check the histogram before you make that kind of statement.
p.s. the software above does that for you for free too.
--
http://hx5v.blogspot.com/

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228

Sony will probably give back the controls in the next version....along with GREAT HYPE about the NEW USER CONTROLS!!!

Same old cage, different hamster wheel.

Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072
Remains to be seen / Deal-breaker.

Separate Contrast / Sharpness / Saturation controls are pretty much a deal maker or breaker for me. While I really, truly appreciate the WX1's Hand-held Twilight mode, it's the lack of any control whatsoever over color, contrast and such that have me interested in the HX5.

My thinking was that the HX5 would have the same or similar control as the $100-cheaper H20, which has the full gamut of Contrast / Sharpness / Saturation controls.

Though, I see from the same site as mentioned above that it doesn't look like they've got the H20 correct -- they say yes to Contrast and Sharpness, but no to Saturation, and I swear I've seen all three when I've looked at that camera.

OK, that said, time out.

I can download the H20 manual and check.

OK, done. Guess what? "Contrast and Sharpness" -- no Saturation. Sheesh.

Well, I suppose I can just remain unhappy with my WX1, instead of spending more money and being unhappy with the HX5, eh?

So, let's all say it together:

SONY: WHAT FREAKING MORONS!!!!

For crying out loud!!! What on EARTH could some Genius MBA Marketing and/or Engineering Master be thinking in terms of removing control offered in the company's cheaper cameras, and/or in very nearly ALL of the competing cameras on the market??

Sheesh #2.

Though, one thing not mentioned at all on the site mentioned above for the H20 is its "Color Mode," which gives you settings for Normal / Vivid / Sepia / B&W. Vivid would at least help the wimpy, weak WX1 outdoor quality by a factor of millions.

At any rate, this is pretty crushing. Trust me, ever since the HX5 was announced, I've been trying to see what kind of control it might offer over contrast, saturation, and sharpness, hoping that its manual exposure control would infer that there would be greater control over other things, such as these.

Still, what I've seen so far from the few HX5 samples sure looks far more "normal" than the just-plain-wrong output from the WX1 -- I could live with something that relatively gets into the ballpark, as opposed to the WX1, which misses the planet, entirely. Between that and hopes for at least a Vivid color mode, I'll keep on considering the HX5 -- and I'll be paying even closer attention to whether its outdoor image quality winds up looking some measure better than bottom-of-the-line-cell-phone quality, like the WX1's.

So, I'll be looking for all of the sample images I can find -- gosh, it seems that the Asian web sites should be showing a bunch of them, soon. And, of course, I'll grab an actual copy of the instruction manual, whenever that appears. If I buy the thing, I'll definitely get it from my local SonyStyle store, or some other local retailer -- no matter whatever anything written that I can find says, I'll get my hands on the thing to see what it's got before I'll plunk any money down.

In the end, it's just more frustrating disappointment served along with Genuinely Interesting Technology from Sony. Say, what were those other compact zoom cameras that were just announced??

Tom Hoots
http://thoots.zenfolio.com

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Re: More bad news.

All the camera companies do this....give new features, take old features away. It's 100% marketing. Keeps you on the hamster wheel.

Same old cage, new hamster wheel.

SayJaiBow Contributing Member • Posts: 750
Re: More bad news.

For those disappointed, including myself, of the lack of adjustments there's always the Casio FH100 which has the same sony exmor cmos sensor and also has RAW. The Casio boys says it also has a lowlight stacking mode.. which I never knew about previously. Not sure if it's as good as Sony's implementation though.. Might have to look at that one instead...

gteague
gteague Senior Member • Posts: 2,032
Re: Remains to be seen / Deal-breaker.

hi tom:

i put my wx1 on ebay (gonna take a serious hit on that--if it even sells at all. that is) and have the hx5 on order. the few sample photos i've seen look much better than the ones from the wx1 and i was able to live with that camera just fine. and i can live without the color/saturation/sharpness controls in-camera when i can just apply a base action from lightzone after import.

the thing i already know i'm going to miss is the sheer small size of the wx1, the hx5 looks at least twice, if not 3x as thick although it's hard to tell just from the measurements alone. it is truly a fully functional shirt-pocket-sized camera--not one that has been designed to be small as its sole purpose in life.

and i wonder how much battery life i'm going to sacrifice to gps--perhaps it can be turned off though. and i wonder if my eye-fi card will work in it since i'm sure that sony's not going to support it in any way since they're so busy hawking yet another completely proprietary, completely and absolutely unneeded technology--transferjet.

and i want all those yoyo's who jumped on me for blasting sony over their continuing use of memorystick to apologize and realize that sony obviously read my complaint and was impressed enough to acknowledge defeat! [g]

guy

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +11 more
OP BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611
chupame -- Seems NO --- HX5V Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening ...

chupame wrote:

Why? You loose to much detail with the limited settings.

chupame:

You may have something there. I am in no panic to buy right now so I will wait until I can see some real sample high quality pics. I can download and then I may decide a little PP will get them where I like them. Still seems silly that Sony does not just put in these adjustments. They could bury them deep in the menus so the simple folk would not be affected.
Bert

Re: chupame -- Seems NO --- HX5V Contrast, Saturation, Sharpening ...

Remeber though, HX5V is primarily targeted for P&S market though it has lots of features to lure more advanced photographers.

No one camera has all the features all customers want.
You just have to take what you get make your choice. It is a free world.

I am sure most purchasers of HX5V do not care about manual controls/adjustments as long as it takes good pictures in iA mode.

BertIverson wrote:

Bert

I just realised that you were asking for picture taking settings, not "retouching"?

The manual is on Sony's site. I could see no such settings.

Marti58
MOD Marti58 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,180
if they advertise manual control mode

most people will expect you have control over things mentioned, like saturation, sharpness, NR, jpeg compression (fine normal ect..)

time will tell how this camera turns out as competition for other camera's in this segment.

-- hide signature --

All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads