Aperture 3 first impressions

Started Feb 9, 2010 | Discussions
Alpha Doug Veteran Member • Posts: 9,222
Aperture 3 first impressions

Well, I thought they wouldn't impress me (even though, as you know, I have been a firm Aperture supporter as well as a T3 Trainer), but I'm really impressed. Some of the new features that might get lost in the talk about the brush targeted adjustments are truly spectacular. The inclusion of true multi-media import, organizing, searching, and archiving is huge. Go to the Aperture 3 page, click on the "What's New" tab, and move down to the HD video, audio group. Play Bill Frakes video on creating a multi-media presentation in full HD! I'm amazed! And with the close integration with other programs in the iLife and iWork suites, as well as Final Cut etc, this is a real game changer. What's our favorite multi-media slide show presenter app on the Mac? Aperture 3!

Also, the book module has really come into it' own. New 13x10" book size from Apple, lots of new themes ( and probably the ability for 3rd parties to offer other themes), and the capability to automatically upload created books to lots of third party printers besides Apple! Also the Print module has had a MAJOR facelift, and is now my favorite print dialogue!

It may not be enough to bring back people from Lightroom, but WOW this is a major upgrade with so many new cool things, it will take me a month to figure them all out.

The anonymous source I quoted back in October said that the Aperture team had been working 6 day weeks since January 09 on this software. It really shows.
--
Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}

http://www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
maflynn Senior Member • Posts: 2,134
Re: Aperture 3 first impressions

Alpha Doug wrote:

It may not be enough to bring back people from Lightroom, but WOW this is a major upgrade with so many new cool things, it will take me a month to figure them all out.

I'm importing my old aperture library now, and so far the feature set catches up to LR and doesn't leap ahead so I think you're spot on that assessment. In switching to LR and using it for many months, I've come to miss the integration that aperture has with apple's other products, so much so this may be enough for me to switch back. I need to play with it for a bit however.

The anonymous source I quoted back in October said that the Aperture team had been working 6 day weeks since January 09 on this software. It really shows.

I only wished apple was a bit forthright in some information. While they couldn't spill the beans to a large extent, providing the public a little more info, or even updates to version 2 would have stemmed the tide of people switching over. As it stands, their lack of updates in the past could still spook people from switching back to aperture.

OP Alpha Doug Veteran Member • Posts: 9,222

I agree with you on the secretiveness and what feels like a lack of response. On the other hand, the list of new features matches most of what we have been asking for via the built in feature request in Aperture, so someone has certainly been listening. Also, I feel that in order to really cement this as a significant support upgrade for Aperture, Apple MUST start providing timely updates for new cameras in RAW, and they MUST go back and pick up some of the orphans they have bypassed. That, alone, would convince a lot of folks of Apples' seriousness about this software.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
JasperD
JasperD Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

Waaaahhhh! It finally is there.

From your first impression and the first reaction on it, I for one am glad I waited patiently in my little corner...

Anyone knowledgeable about integration of NIK components in this version? I waited with purchasing until the new Aperture would be there, and I'm assuming the plug ins will not be redundant, especially DFine, Viveza and Silver Efex. Are they? Need to rush home, can hardly wait the two more hours before I see for myself...

Happy already...

Agreed, and as I mentioned, I'm importing my 40gig library. I'm liking the interface over LR's. I had forgotten how clean and uncluttered it is.

I switched to LR for two reasons, the perceived lack of attention because of no updates and lack of localized non-destructive edits. Apple has fulfilled the latter but only time will tell if the former has been rectified.

I'll give it a good working through before deciding to switch back or not

adr23 Regular Member • Posts: 276

sounds to me like it's "not good enough". and that's what I'm afraid of. I'm less interested in all those eye candy features such as video and print books or faces and places.

aperture 2 failed miserably on raw conversion with d3 raws and if aperture 3 falls into the same category, it's just a glorified iphoto.

but i haven't tried it yet...we'll see:)

adrian

adr23's gear list:adr23's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +1 more

adr23 wrote:

aperture 2 failed miserably on raw conversion with d3 raws and if aperture 3 falls into the same category, it's just a glorified iphoto.

Aperture does not do any RAW conversions but rather lets OSX does, so if you're unhappy with aperture 2's conversion, you'll be unhappy with 3. I do think the feature set is a good solid set of features and makes it a much more usable product.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3946

maflynn wrote:

adr23 wrote:

Aperture does not do any RAW conversions but rather lets OSX does, so if you're unhappy with aperture 2's conversion, you'll be unhappy with 3. I do think the feature set is a good solid set of features and makes it a much more usable product.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +1 more

Did you ever play with the Camera RAW Fine Tuning controls in Aperture 2.0? Many times, if you aren't happy with the default Apple initial conversion, you can fine tune it to fit your desires using these controls, then save that setting as a default for initial conversion. And now, with the ability to apply some adjustments on import, it shouldn't be a major problem.
--

TraceyS Senior Member • Posts: 2,708

Happy to read this, happy to hear about the update - now to get a variety of things around here upgraded to run it!

-- hide signature --

Tracey

TraceyS's gear list:TraceyS's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more
calamita Forum Member • Posts: 56

Alpha Doug wrote:

Go to the Aperture 3 page, click on the "What's New" tab, and move down to the HD video, audio group. Play Bill Frakes video on creating a multi-media presentation in full HD!

Does Aperture 3 support AVCHD video?

Alpha Doug wrote:

Did you ever play with the Camera RAW Fine Tuning controls in Aperture 2.0? Many times, if you aren't happy with the default Apple initial conversion, you can fine tune it to fit your desires using these controls, then save that setting as a default for initial conversion. And now, with the ability to apply some adjustments on import, it shouldn't be a major problem.
--

I settled on LR actually. For the every-day-picture conversion LR's camera profiles do a good job, about 85-90% of what NX2 can do. I still go back to NX if i need outmost quality. Aperture, on the other hand, was...well...not that good.

I could barely squeeze 60% of what nx2 could do. I just couldn't justify 5k worth of image quality and getting only 60% (at best) back.

With aperture 3 I'm not into all those faces-places feature set stuff. All I want is that 90% IQ can get with NX2. And if that's the case, Apple won in my book:)

-- hide signature --

adrian

Brian Caslis
Brian Caslis Senior Member • Posts: 2,932

Alpha Doug wrote:

--

Yes I have (been using Aperture since 1.0). I've been using LR3 beta for the past two months and I'm really impressed with the conversion quality and their emulation of the Nikon picture control camera profiles. Aperture 3 is still processing my library, so no judgement yet, but boy I REALLY wish there was an equivalent. I love the GUI and the features but it might be back to LR3 if I can't get the conversions the way I want them. In LR3, using the profiles, it usually only took setting the profile and some minor tweaks to get the image where I wanted it.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more

Since most dSLRs shoot AVCHD instead of Motion JPEG, I would assume that it does. I don't know that for certain, but it seems highly likely. I will try it with some clips from my Sanyo HD100 and see what it does.
--

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,586
I agree...

I have not had as much chance to try out the other features as you, but I'm impressed with editing updates. I am really looking forward to testing printing improvements especially.

Great summary.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,586
Good question, need to hang out on that one...

JasperD wrote:

Anyone knowledgeable about integration of NIK components in this version? I waited with purchasing until the new Aperture would be there, and I'm assuming the plug ins will not be redundant, especially DFine, Viveza and Silver Efex. Are they? Need to rush home, can hardly wait the two more hours before I see for myself...

I think in part some of those aspects Aperture can do now, but the Nik results will probably still be nicer. I note that the Nik plugins are featured prominently still on the purchasing page for Aperture...

Of course the major benefits of the built-in brushes is that they are non-destructive and don't need to make a copy of the image. It'll be interesting to if the updated SDK allows creation of other non-descructive brushes.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,690

maflynn wrote:

Agreed, and as I mentioned, I'm importing my 40gig library. I'm liking the interface over LR's. I had forgotten how clean and uncluttered it is.

I switched to LR for two reasons, the perceived lack of attention because of no updates and lack of localized non-destructive edits. Apple has fulfilled the latter but only time will tell if the former has been rectified.

When I want a new camera that is not supported in Aperture, I don't hesitate a second to use LR for it. But I don't worry about unsupported cameras until I actually own them.

Sorry, still can't answer the question about AVCHD as my Sanyo shoots in H.264 mp4 format. But it sucked them right in via the import dialogue, just like they were images! And it did it very quickly, and processed them very quickly, and immediately after they were imported I was able to play them, even full screen! Awesome!

Another great goody in the new release is the ability to split and merge Libraries! Add that to the ability to switch from Library to Library with out restaring! This will be a great big advantage in managing multiple libraries!

-- hide signature --

Another note. There are great new full screen viewing and editing functions. You can jump between looking at events, folders in browser mode, and single image in full screen without ever leaving the full screen mode! Add that to being able to use and access search, metadata, and adjustments, I may never, ever leave full screen again. And I have to say, that even with my ailing video card (part coming at the end of the month), that the program is WAY more responsive and quick. Not sure why, but it sure feels good!

-- hide signature --

JasperD
JasperD Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
Re: Good question, need to hang out on that one...

I attended to one of their online training courses this evening, took advantage of it to ask the question. From the horse´s mouth, it´s a big YES , no issues...

Now, if somebody already owning them could confirm that!?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads