New 550D has 1/3-stop ISO increments?

Started Feb 8, 2010 | Discussions
Prestidigitator Contributing Member • Posts: 584
New 550D has 1/3-stop ISO increments?

Can the DPR preview writer clarify that please? It's not indicated in the specs but some of the shots in the gallery have "ISO 1250", etc. It's somewhat surprising since all the previous Rebels only have full-stop ISO settings. I suppose they had to do that to make the Auto ISO more useful, but then again, the 450D and 500D already had that feature, it's just not as flexible...

John Pennington Senior Member • Posts: 1,017
Re: New 550D has 1/3-stop ISO increments?

Incorrect.
With 500D, there is a choice of 1/2 or 1/3 ISO increments.

John Pennington's gear list:John Pennington's gear list
Apple iPhone XS Max
idesignstuff Regular Member • Posts: 242

Prestidigitator wrote:

Can the DPR preview writer clarify that please? It's not indicated in the specs but some of the shots in the gallery have "ISO 1250", etc. It's somewhat surprising since all the previous Rebels only have full-stop ISO settings. I suppose they had to do that to make the Auto ISO more useful, but then again, the 450D and 500D already had that feature, it's just not as flexible...

I think, as in my 450d, that the ISO is adjustable in full stops, but if you choose auto ISO, the camera can choose 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments.

-- hide signature --

Christian

OP Prestidigitator Contributing Member • Posts: 584

John Pennington wrote:

Incorrect.

No, sorry that is wrong. Please read the specs again. Here's the proof from the 500D LCD screen itself:

Full-stop ISO increments only.

OP Prestidigitator Contributing Member • Posts: 584

idesignstuff wrote:

I think, as in my 450d, that the ISO is adjustable in full stops, but if you choose > auto ISO, the camera can choose 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments.

Ah, thanks, that's what I suspected. 1/3-stop ISO increments are still not manually selectable unlike in the higher models. The 1/3-stops are there only for the camera to select just to make the Auto ISO function more flexible.

John Pennington Senior Member • Posts: 1,017

Sorry, I misunderstood.
I thought you meant using auto iso.

Prestidigitator wrote:

John Pennington wrote:

Incorrect.

No, sorry that is wrong. Please read the specs again. Here's the proof from the 500D LCD screen itself:

Full-stop ISO increments only.

John Pennington's gear list:John Pennington's gear list
Apple iPhone XS Max
Un dbutant Regular Member • Posts: 150
That's why Canon ...

make a truck load of profits. It's because of you guys.

You are all very tolerant. When first released, 500D had a price tag of almost 900. K-m had a price tag of less than 450.

You can't choose 1/3 increments with 500D. Pentax K-m offers you a choice of 1/3 or full stops and it applies to both Auto ISO and manual select. I know, I own one.

Of course 500D has video and more MP but the point is, 1/3 iso option is free of charge. It's software not hardware. After all, 500D auto iso does have 1/3, right? Why left it out for manual select?

Cheers,
http://www.flickr.com/sjudi

Peter 13 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,301
Re: That's why Canon ...

1/2 and 2/3 ISO stops (above the base ones) are not real ISO stops (not hardware amplification), and create problems only. I am so glad that Canon was smart enough not to include 1/3 increments so far.

Poor Pentax troll, lost his sleep over the new Canon.

Un dbutant wrote:

You are all very tolerant. When first released, 500D had a price tag of almost 900. K-m had a price tag of less than 450.

You can't choose 1/3 increments with 500D. Pentax K-m offers you a choice of 1/3 or full stops and it applies to both Auto ISO and manual select. I know, I own one.

Of course 500D has video and more MP but the point is, 1/3 iso option is free of charge. It's software not hardware. After all, 500D auto iso does have 1/3, right? Why left it out for manual select?

Cheers,
http://www.flickr.com/sjudi

Ehrik Veteran Member • Posts: 8,014
Not much use

The way in-between ISOs are implemented in all Canon bodies that has it, they are not much use for raw shooters at least.

glitched Senior Member • Posts: 1,016

Un dbutant wrote:

Canon has always been the last to add features which others have had forever and should be already there Even my Canon A620 had more flexible timer settings than my 400D.

Un dbutant Regular Member • Posts: 150

If what you said is true, why does Canon use it for Auto ISO? They don't trust the users to use 1/3 increments in manual select?

I feel sorry for you, you're being cheated by Canon and yet you stand up for them.

Funny you should consider me a Pentax troll while I gave you a heads-up about what other camera makers do to make life easier.

Lost sleep over Canon? Never! Just a different time zone.

Peter 13 wrote:

1/2 and 2/3 ISO stops (above the base ones) are not real ISO stops (not hardware amplification), and create problems only. I am so glad that Canon was smart enough not to include 1/3 increments so far.

Poor Pentax troll, lost his sleep over the new Canon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads