G11 Date & Time Issue

Started Jan 31, 2010 | Discussions
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,372
G11 Date & Time Issue

My camera was ok out of the box.

Now it reminds me to set date & time every time I turn it on.

I've done so twice. Now I just command it off.

Any ideas how I can work around this?

It doubles start up time.

DaveL
Toronto

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902
Re: G11 Date & Time Issue

It likely has a coin battery to keep the time.

See manual, bottom of page 21.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 7D, 40D; G11, SD700IS; Panasonic ZS3/TZ7
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://philwheeler.net

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
in_saner Regular Member • Posts: 162

To set up date and time you have to press "OK" (probably SET button) after adjustments, if you didn't do it, it would ask you to set up next time you turn on camera.

Make sure you you've done it. I guess you did, just to remind )
--
a'.

in_saner's gear list:in_saner's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +19 more
OP D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,372

Thanks for the reminder. I did. (save the date and time.) Even read the manual!
DaveL

Thanks Phil

Very good of you to post the details.Read that in the manual.

Here's what happened today.

Went out with battery fully charged. Had the camera in my chest pocket of my down coat. Some insulation, but not in next to me. That way the camera was handy.

Walked for 1/2 an hour or so; maybe less.

Got the set time screen first time I turned the camera on. Got it every time I turned it on.

It's windy/cold here. NOt much snow; hardly any if fact.

My g9 stood up to this kind of use and worse and never blinked. Right now I'm sorry I traded it in.

My wife's little Pany worked fine.

I came home and charged the battery and it's in the camera now. I've set the time/date and there's no problem when I turn the camera on inside where it's warm.

DaveL
Toronto

ps probably -12 Celcius today We were out for a few hours. Much of the time I walked around without gloves on; no problem. (X ski instructor for 35 years)

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902
Re: Thanks Phil

I can't duplicate your test situation, Dave: In So. Calif. and cold is 50 deg or so (well, I could put the camera in my refrigerator for a while).

My thinking is that your G11 is defective, that either your internal battery mentioned on page 20 is not getting charged or is not holding the charge.

Operating temps are 0-40 deg C (32 to 104 deg F). I guess if you are below freezing out of doors it is working within spec.

I'd give Canon service a call or, if the camera is brand new, exchange it.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 7D, 40D; G11, SD700IS; Panasonic ZS3/TZ7
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://philwheeler.net

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV

Phil, I'm cautiously optomistic.

I charged the removable battery fully.

I put it in the camera, and didn't use the camera for a day.

I've carried it around with me; same pocket, same coat except I've been driving and my heater works.

Thanks Again!
DaveL
Toronto

geojoe Regular Member • Posts: 192

Hi Dave,

I've also experienced what you've described but not real often and not at all in the past few days. So far it has not been too aggravating and I just re-enter the date and time when prompted.
Joe

OhioBowhunter Regular Member • Posts: 261

Dave,

Have you tried a complete reset of the camera.

You are correct, with the large battery fully charged, there is no reason why even if the internal backup battery is bad, that your time settings are not being saved. Maybe the clock is only read from the internal (backup battery) and if it is defective, that would explain the problem.

b

Joe the method above has worked for me. (Except I haven't been outside for a few hours with my camera.)

• fully charge the removable battery

• insert battery in camera; takes 4 hours for it to charge the "memory" battery

That's what I did.

When the "memory" battery goes flat, it slows me down a lot. Every time I take the camera out to use it I have to go past this screen...My g9 was fine under the same conditions.

From my day job==I know that battery life is affected by temperature. Too low is bad (reduced capacity) and too high (short life)

DaveL

BigEad New Member • Posts: 7

D Lynch wrote:

Joe the method above has worked for me. (Except I haven't been outside for a few hours with my camera.)

• fully charge the removable battery

• insert battery in camera; takes 4 hours for it to charge the "memory" battery

That's what I did.

Dave, I've just come across this thread whilst searching for a solution to, yes, the same problem as you. I bought my G11 yesterday, charged the battery, fired up the G11 and - not unsurprisingly - had to enter the time and date. Which it then refused to hold Then I read the manual, and found out that the internal battery had to be charged. However, having left the camera overnight and all of today (20 hrs or so), the result was still the same; every time I switched the camera on, it asked for the time and date.

A few hours ago I reset everything to the factory defaults and, guess what? It now holds the time and date! I've even taken the battery out, and the time is still being retained.

No idea which of the many settings was causing the problem - my G11 was an ex-demonstration model and so had obviously been messed with before I got it - but I'll gradually change things back to how I want them, keeping a check on the time and date as I do so. Maybe I'll be able to tie it down to a particular setting.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
BigEad

Glad you've solved your problem. I'll give that a try next time it acts up.
DaveL
Toronto

D Lynch wrote:

Glad you've solved your problem. I'll give that a try next time it acts up.
DaveL
Toronto

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem is still there

I've tried resetting to defaults again, this time without success. Once I've set the time, if I then turn the camera off and then back on straight away, the time has been lost, so it isn't even retaining it for a few seconds.

I found another of your threads on a different forum) last night, in which you mentioned that you'd sent an email to Canon. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say!

All the best in getting it sorted....

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
BigEad

Re: G11 Date & Time Issue Canon response

Canon's response to my email--It was a canned response.

It simply said fill out details and a budget price would be delivered...so it's intended for anyone with any problem. I haven't talked to a human at Canon yet.

I have a battery on order, at a much reduced price on the internet. It's a new battery.

Separately I found a heck of a deal on a Panasonic P&S and bought it last night. I've missed too many shots with my G11 due to this problem, and I'm not happy.

So I don't know if the internal battery has insufficient capacity, or my patterns of use cause a problem. I'm glad I didn't have the G11 on my vacation trip. It has been a disappointment. I'm sorry I bought it; I should have kept my G9.

Yours is the first response I've had of another person with problems. I wish you well; if you find a soluton please let me know. I promise to do the same.

Here's what I do to save you looking:

• take removable battery out of the camera and charge it...longer than the charger says is necessary ( I leave it in for a while--hours--after it indicates full charge

• put the fully charged battery back in the camera and don't use it for at least 4 hours (I left it alone overnight) (the manual says it takes 4 hours just sitting for the interior time/date setting battery to recharge.)

• I charge the removable battery again!

Sometime later I used the camera. It's cold outside and that affects battery life.

If I don't do this--every time I turn the camera on it prompts me for date/time setting. I've missed countless shots when this happens. I have a dslr too, but I bought this camera because of its image quality, screen, and wide angle lens.

By the way, the contact at Henry's Mississauga had no product knowledge and didn't talk about my problem at all. No I didn't buy my Panasonic at Henry's. I bought it at Future Shop and had incredible service, and bought it for a price discounted from the best price I could find on the internet. It was a Golden Experience.

DaveL
Toronto

Internal battery--date/time

Here's my take...
Either--the battery has sufficient capacity, but I'm using it wrong
Or--the battery doesn't have sufficient capacity, and Canon needs to fix it.

What I know:

• temperature affects battery capacity (cold sucks the life out of batteries)

• my G9 never gave me a bit of trouble

• I don't have a spare G11 battery (over reacted to cost when I bought the camera)

2 cents worth

DaveL
Toronto

Leo Salais Senior Member • Posts: 1,706

Just a couple of comments.

The G11 manual recommends (to protect and prolong battery life) not to charge the battery for longer than 24 hours continually.

Jeff Carlson, in his book "Canon PowerShot G10/G11" recommends to fully charge the battery and then use it "right down to the point that they have nothing left to give."

Here's what I do to save you looking:

• take removable battery out of the camera and charge it...longer than the charger says is necessary ( I leave it in for a while--hours--after it indicates full charge

• put the fully charged battery back in the camera and don't use it for at least 4 hours (I left it alone overnight) (the manual says it takes 4 hours just sitting for the interior time/date setting battery to recharge.)

• I charge the removable battery again!

D Lynch wrote:

Yours is the first response I've had of another person with problems. I wish you well; if you find a soluton please let me know. I promise to do the same.

Dave, my response today from Canon UK was short and (not so) sweet:

"Please be advised that you will need to return your product to the retailer as there seems to be an issue with the date battery."

So, as soon as I get back to the UK (I'm in Newfoundland right now, and by an amazing coincidence I was in Toronto on Monday night, and visited Henry's and Vistek -small world!) I'll be off to the dealer.

Ho hum! Like you, I have a DSLR (a 5D), and I bought the G11, in part, for the convenience of not having to drag the 5D around with me all the time. Some "convenience"; trying to sort this out has been anything but, so far. Never mind, I'm sure a bit of "repair by replacement" will do the trick

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
BigEad

Good luck with repair by replacement. Apparently I had 2 weeks to do that with Henry's Mississauga. That's ok...at least they have a policy; some don't.

Henry's downtown is where I used to shop. I've had no problems there.

I need to talk to a human at Canon to see what I can do.

Good luck with yours.

I'm sorry I bought the G11. Should have left well enough alone and kept the G9.

I just bought a new Pany ZS3 so I could have a dependable camera.

DaveL
Toronto

Ian M.B.
Ian M.B. New Member • Posts: 7

I thought it may have been a temperature thing as I live in Sydney and am on the Great Barrier Reef in the tropics at the moment, but the error was occurring in Sydney too which as been mild. I just did the 'Reset All' on my G11 and so far so good... and I have since changed 'My Colors' to my settings, so they may all just need a 'Reset All' to rectify this... Thank you, I wasn't looking forward to returning it to Canon Australia for a few days. Thanks. Ian M.B.

Ian M.B.'s gear list:Ian M.B.'s gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Nikon D610 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads