New Toy - Pentax 25mm f1.4

Started Jan 31, 2010 | Discussions
danny_only Forum Pro • Posts: 11,115
New Toy - Pentax 25mm f1.4

a manual focus CCTV lens just arrived, some quick test samples.

Most pictures taken at f1.4 to f2.8 aperture. Mild PPed.

E-P1 kit lens pictures for comparison under similar lighting condition.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

'Close enough is good enough, I just come here for fun:p'

My Albums
http://photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly

danny_only's gear list:danny_only's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
John Wales Contributing Member • Posts: 775
Re: New Toy - Pentax 25mm f1.4

Hi Danny-

It has been awhile since I've seen any of your posts. I used to enjoy your night scenes and food shots. I hope to see some more from your EP1 (been thinking of buying one).

Regards - John W

Photography is a great hobby, but then so is collecting cameras and I am better at it.

ahuyevshi Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Which Adapter?

I have been looking at getting an IR CCTV lens but I haven't been able to find the right adapter..

ahuyevshi's gear list:ahuyevshi's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
OP danny_only Forum Pro • Posts: 11,115
Re: Thank you for your kind words, John.....

John Wales wrote:

Hi Danny-

It has been awhile since I've seen any of your posts. I used to enjoy your night scenes and food shots. I hope to see some more from your EP1 (been thinking of buying one).

Regards - John W

Photography is a great hobby, but then so is collecting cameras and I am better at it.

I did not post much in the FTF lately. Some of my E-P1 pictures taken with another CCTV lens 35mm f1.7 (much cheaper, only US$15, this Pentax is around US$105), both can use a C mount extender to take macro pics (US$1.9, cheap plastics)

More here.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/yeeonly/E-P1/4th%20Quarter%202009/Fujian%2035mm%20f1-7/

The E-P1 (in fact, almost all m4/3 are fun) is fun factory, but beware, it is also a money spending trap, once acquired a M4/3, most people will searching for weird and old lenses to use on it, and start buying a lot of adaptors (I have 1 - C mount/Pentax Auto 110/Leica Screw mount combo adaptor, plus 2 M42 to m4/3 adaptors) and weird lenses. During the process of searching old lenses, some will fallen in love with film photography, I am one of the victims, a second hand shop keeper told me, ever since the debut of m4/3, many people started looking for old lenses and film cameras. I now have 2 Pentax SLRs and some film compacts, plus a cheap zoom for use with my Pentax SLRs. Plus 15 rolls of film in the refrigerator

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus C-4000 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 +13 more
Re: Which Adapter?

Mine is a combo adaptor (C mount + Lecia screw mount + custom made Pentax Auto 110).

For use with C mount CCTV lebs, in expensive stuff, try ebay, some sellers has description explaining their products.

ahuyevshi wrote:

I have been looking at getting an IR CCTV lens but I haven't been able to find the right adapter..

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

pppp Senior Member • Posts: 1,350

Thanks pppp!

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 5,201

Hi there Danny,
nice to see you around, been awhile
Hey, great to hear you got yourself the Pen. Beautiful camera

Have the GF1 myself, and waiting for my adapter to arrive so I can use some of my Pentax lenses (taking ages...).
Great pics btw.
Have fun and take care

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My cameras: GF1, TZ3, recently fixed (I think) Minolta Hi-Matic 7s, broken Konica Auto S2(couldn't fix, who the heck GLUES screws in??), K1000 and my wife's old K110D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100 II Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
AllenGH1 Regular Member • Posts: 171

Love the last one - what's the technique to get that shot with the moon? Was it planned? Was it two exposures combined into one (that would not take anything away from it, I just want to be able to take this kind of pic!)?

Re: hI Hubert.....

peppermonkey wrote:

Hi there Danny,
nice to see you around, been awhile

Yes, long time no SEE

Hey, great to hear you got yourself the Pen. Beautiful camera

Frankly, I brought the Pen mainly for using all these weird and odd lenses. No kidding. The camera is indeed beautiful but far from perfect and user friendly, but I am very happy already.

During my search of weird and odd lenses, I have fallen in love with film photography again, brought 2 Pentax SLRs and many film compacts, yesterday, I brought a Pentax Espio 24ew.

Nice to see you have a Minolta 7s and Konica S2. the repair shop owner who made the Pentax 110 C-mount to m4/3 camera adaptor for me, shown me his toy the last time I visited him, an adaptor to mount and focus (via helicoid) an disassembled Konica Range finder lens (lens was from a Konica RF older than S2 I believe, he said as long as a RF with Copal shutter, he could attach it to his adaptor, the lens can be removable too, he can add Yashica electro lens to it I believe).

Have the GF1 myself, and waiting for my adapter to arrive so I can use some of my Pentax lenses (taking ages...).

Brought too many toys, other wise, I will also get myself an adapror which can use my Pentax DA compatible lenses, which include the kit, Sigma 10-20 and Tarmon 18-250.

Great pics btw.
Have fun and take care

Thanks.

m4/3 camera is just fun and resurrected many old and weird lenses

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

MelanieC New Member • Posts: 18
Pentax 25mm/1.4 source

Where'd you order that lens from? I'd like to pick one up but it seems to be backordered everywhere.

Re: Thaanks Allen....

AllenGH1 wrote:

Love the last one - what's the technique to get that shot with the moon? Was it planned? Was it two exposures combined into one (that would not take anything away from it, I just want to be able to take this kind of pic!)?

It was one of the 2 outdoor test shots I made after getting the lens, not planned. Not a composite shot. It is a iso3200 shot, many noise, see pics below, I reduced the brightness to hide the noise. It is not difficult, I guess I was lucky to have the brightness of moon close to the light below.

Original version - resized only

Denosied with Noiseware Community Edition, using default night scene setting. I avoid using this freeware because it removes EXIF. Smedays I will have to buy the paid version.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

Re: Hi Melanie....

MelanieC wrote:

Where'd you order that lens from? I'd like to pick one up but it seems to be backordered everywhere.

From a group buying organized by a local forum member (generous and great poster). who contacted a local security equipment company (selling cctv lens and cameras, I believe). First round, 65 lenses ordered (need to thank my friend who visits the forum frequently and found this gem, before, I was unable to locate one). It took us 3 months to get the lenses, but worth waiting. Assmebled in Vietnam. People are organizing for the second round, another 50 lenses ordered within 2 days.

Cost around US$105+, price performance wise it is hard to beat. I have seen great pictures captured with this lens.

There is another c mount cctv lens I own and like a lot. A Chinese made 35mm f1.7 cctv lens for 2/3" ccd. Only US$15+ (my friend brought it direct from seller inside Mainland China for me), I guess one can find them in ebay for about US$30+, reasonable, because if I have to travel back to Mainland China to get it, the travelling expense will be around US$13 to U$15.

One can also get some macro ring for these C mount lenses. I brought one locally for US$1.9.

Using macro ring - 35mm f1.7 cctv lens

Using macro ring - Pentax 25mm f1.4 cctv lens

Close up - Pentax 25mm f1.4, no macro ring

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

Re: Playing with the Pentax 25mm f1.4 cctv lens (22 pics)

This new toy is great for taking indoor and outdoor portraits. It is at the present my favorite lens.

The first night I played with this lens, I stayed up until almost 3:00am

I had not get carried away, though, still remember my wife to wash the oranges before going to bed. Midnight Oranges

One last glimpse of the sky before going to bed

50mm (35mm equiv.) is too short for birding

Not too bad for low contrast subjects like fur and hair

Vignetting and Blur corners can be annoying and it can also be fun, but for something around US$100, really not much to complain.

The center portion of the lens is rather sharp. My lens is over-infinity when shooting distant landscape, I have to be careful with the focusing.

For outdoor long distance shooting, I will try avoiding the blurred corners

Going Home

Taken by my friend inside a McDonald, who later also ordered one of this lens.

Inside a favorite restaurant. Macro pictures taken with a US$1.9 Macro ring.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

markpsf Senior Member • Posts: 2,732
Danny

Danny:

What adapter are you using?

Could you please also post an exact listing re the name of the lens so I can track one down.

Thanks.

Mark

Re: Mark..

markpsf wrote:

What adapter are you using?

Mine is a combo adaptor which can accept C mount and other mounts via adaptors connector. I aslo ordered a custom made adaptor connector for using my Pentax Auto 110 lenses.

The Pentax 25mm f1.4 is a standard C mount lens, so I guess any standard C mount to m4/3 adaptor can be used.

Could you please also post an exact listing re the name of the lens so I can track one down.

The model # is C22525KP. Mine is a brand new cctv lens, brought via a group buying activity organized by a local camera forum member. Could be difficult to find in regular camera shops, it took us 3 months to get the lens. Try security equipment shops.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

efix Senior Member • Posts: 2,028
Extensive review

In case anyone's interested: I've written an extensive review about how this lens performs on the E-P1 a couple months ago. Here's the link: http://www.efixmedia.de/photography/cosmicarpentax-251-4-c-mount-tv-lens-review/
Thanks for looking!

efix's gear list:efix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 +17 more
benbammens Regular Member • Posts: 240

Goddammit! Now I want one of those as well...

As if collecting cheap old SLR lensen wasn't expensive enough...

degger Contributing Member • Posts: 698
Cheap China c-mount lenses

danny_only wrote:

There is another c mount cctv lens I own and like a lot. A Chinese made 35mm f1.7 cctv lens for 2/3" ccd. Only US$15+ (my friend brought it direct from seller inside Mainland China for me), I guess one can find them in ebay for about US$30+, reasonable, because if I have to travel back to Mainland China to get it, the travelling expense will be around US$13 to U$15.

Hehe, I hear ya. The second to the left in this shot maybe:

It barely fits the c-mount adapter but I like this lens a lot, too. One thing that bothers me about many c-mount lenses is that the focusing ring is closer to the mount and the aperture closer to the front of the lens, this 35mm gets it right. It's a very nice lens for 720p video footage. I bought it together with the 25mm f1.4 in the middle of the above shot which is not quite as useful and has a strange rendition as well as reversed rings and it's too close in terms of focal length to the 20mm f1.7, too. Both have stepless aperture which is nice but very cheaply made aperture blades which yields a nervous bokeh and I'm also not sure how long the lens will last; basically they're products which are cheap in every possible meaning of the word.

-- hide signature --

Servus, Daniel

Re: Hi Felix....

efix wrote:

In case anyone's interested: I've written an extensive review about how this lens performs on the E-P1 a couple months ago. Here's the link: http://www.efixmedia.de/photography/cosmicarpentax-251-4-c-mount-tv-lens-review/
Thanks for looking!

Just found and briefly viewed your excellent review of the Pentax 25mm f1.4 lens.

It is getting late now, I will reply more this coming weekend. Just PPed some pictures from my newly acquired Yashica D (a 50's TLR) and is a little tired. Well. the E-P1 made me do it. I first brought the E-P1 with using Pentax AUTO 110 lenses (world's smallest SLR system) in mind, though I already have a complete arsenal of Pentax DSLR gears.

Then I also found the special appeal of C mount lenses, then the adapters for mounting my M42 lenses and K mount lenses to my E-P1, ultimately, I fell in love with film photography and brought a lot of film cameras. I guess I am not the only M4/3 users who have fallen in love with film photography, once we started installing old lenses to our M4/3. At least in my part of world.

My second shot with TLR. Excuse me for the horizontal problem. I was carrying a heavy bag with another camera inside on my shoulder, no strip attached to the NEW TLR, so difficult to hold initially.

The Pentax is my favorite indoor and night street portrait lens. Taken many pictures of my family members while walking on the street at night. It is also a very good lens for street pictures.

Many PENTAX 25mm f1.4 users are making good uses of this inexpensive compact MF lenses.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1351040@N20/

One of the member 'Loveducation' is a talented photographer. some of his works with the pentax cctv lens are really outstanding.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,

Danny

My Albums

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads