Add "Photographer" EXIF Info to 1D Mk2

Started Jan 24, 2010 | Discussions
jBeach New Member • Posts: 12
Add "Photographer" EXIF Info to 1D Mk2

When I view images posted here on the DPR forums, I notice that many of you have an EXIF tag named "Photographer" with your name in it. I would like to add a Photographer's tag with my name in it on my images, too.

Is this something that you are able to set in the EOS 1D Mk2, or is it something that you are adding with an EXIF post processor?

I have Googled and searched these forums for an answer, but I must not be too good at picking my search terms.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,348
EOS utility

The Canon EOS utility (on the solution disk) allows the user to enter some information, just connect the camera to a PC & start the program. I don't know how much your model will accept, but it's worth a check as the information will be written into each photo automatically. Check the program's documentation for more information.

Best regards,
Doug
--
http://pbase.com/dougj

tsoutij Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Add "Photographer" EXIF Info to 1D Mk2

...What Doug J said.

Also note the 1DMk2 has both Firewire and USB connectivity (like the 1Ds II), and you need to use the Firewire connection so that EOS Utility will recognize the extra features.

OP jBeach New Member • Posts: 12

Thanks for the information. Both replies were correct and very helpful.

The EOS 1D Mark II only has an option to add the "Owner's Name" to the Camera's parameters. I loaded Canon's EOS Viewer Utility software and was able to input my name in the Owner's Name parameter using a Firewire connection. Subsequent tests show that my name now shows correctly in the EXIF data.

Apparently the 1D Mark III and newer Canon SLRs have additional parameters for "Artist" and "Copyright."

The FireFox EXIF plug-in I use displays "Artist" as "Photographer" for some reason. That's how some people get "Photographer" in their EXIF data.

I'm still looking into adding the Photographer parameter with some sort of an EXIF post processor. I have found programs to do this with IPTC data while they download the images from a storage card... but not EXIF yet.

I'm not giving up yet. I wanted to make a post now just to let everyone know that I was still working on this...

tsoutij Forum Member • Posts: 50

Glad to be of some help...

If you're looking to make changes to EXIF data on existing JPG files, have you taken a look at ExifTool? ( http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ )

It's very powerful, as you could script it and run against many files at a time.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,348

jBeach wrote:

Thanks for the information. Both replies were correct and very helpful.

The EOS 1D Mark II only has an option to add the "Owner's Name" to the Camera's parameters. I loaded Canon's EOS Viewer Utility software and was able to input my name in the Owner's Name parameter using a Firewire connection. Subsequent tests show that my name now shows correctly in the EXIF data.

Apparently the 1D Mark III and newer Canon SLRs have additional parameters for "Artist" and "Copyright."

The FireFox EXIF plug-in I use displays "Artist" as "Photographer" for some reason. That's how some people get "Photographer" in their EXIF data.

I'm still looking into adding the Photographer parameter with some sort of an EXIF post processor. I have found programs to do this with IPTC data while they download the images from a storage card... but not EXIF yet.

I'm not giving up yet. I wanted to make a post now just to let everyone know that I was still working on this...

I'm glad this helped somewhat. The 1D3 is also limited to the field "Owner's name". I use 'Copyright', followed by my name, this fits within the character number limitation.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads