those 128 GB cards

Started Jan 19, 2010 | Discussions
bill hansen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,022
those 128 GB cards

Does anyone have an idea when those 128 GB CF cxards will be available? They sound like the answer to a couple of different problems - extensive video, storage for large volumes of still shots when traveling, possibly even archival storage of images (more reliable than spinning HDs, less expensive than SSDs??)

Bill

thenickdude
thenickdude Senior Member • Posts: 1,076
Re: those 128 GB cards

They're the perfect accessory if you like putting all of your eggs in one basket. I wouldn't use a card that large.

T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,546

lamah wrote:

They're the perfect accessory if you like putting all of your eggs in one basket. I wouldn't use a card that large.

I think by now we should all know flash memory is highly reliable. Having such a large capacity in your camera is not really any different than having a 128GB solid state drive in your laptop. These new high capacity CF cards are just solid state drives for your camera. When you think about it, all of us walking around with laptops with spinning internal hard drives are actually walking around with "all our eggs in one basket" with a much more vulnerable technology (a spinning hard drive), but we all seem to get by with it just fine. Furthermore, when I think about it, would I rather have a laptop with one 250GB solid state drive, or ten 25GB solid state drives that I constantly had to swap out (assuming the operating system was stored on some seperate internal memory and was uneffected)? Seems like all that swapping could present some potential problems. Now apply that to your camera: one 128GB card versus, say, eight 16GB cards.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
thenickdude
thenickdude Senior Member • Posts: 1,076

Certainly, flash memory is reliable. But all the reliability in the world won't save you if the card happens to fall out of your pocket and get lost, get crushed by a closing car door, fall into a river and be washed away, or be inside your camera when it is stolen.

lamah wrote:

Certainly, flash memory is reliable. But all the reliability in the world won't save you if the card happens to fall out of your pocket and get lost, get crushed by a closing car door, fall into a river and be washed away, or be inside your camera when it is stolen.

Well, if you have a card that you can leave in your camera all the time, you eliminate the "fall out of your pocket and get lost, get crushed by a closing car door, fall into a river and washed away" part. So you bring up a very valid point: having multiple smaller cards that you swap in and out increases your chances of something happening to those loose cards that aren't in your camera. Having one big card that you can leave inside your camera eliminates those issues. Then all you have to do is make sure you don't have your camera stolen. But I would still back up my one card onto a laptop while traveling anyways (do that at the end of each day when you're back at the hotel). The advantage, though, is that I could still keep a complete set of images on my internal CF card as well as on my laptop so I have a complete backup.

T3 wrote:

lamah wrote:

Well, if you have a card that you can leave in your camera all the time, you eliminate the "fall out of your pocket and get lost, get crushed by a closing car door, fall into a river and washed away" part. So you bring up a very valid point: having multiple smaller cards that you swap in and out increases your chances of something happening to those loose cards that aren't in your camera. Having one big card that you can leave inside your camera eliminates those issues. Then all you have to do is make sure you don't have your camera stolen. But I would still back up my one card onto a laptop while traveling anyways (do that at the end of each day when you're back at the hotel). The advantage, though, is that I could still keep a complete set of images on my internal CF card as well as on my laptop so I have a complete backup.

Oh, and by the way, I had a friend you once lost a CF card "wallet" in which he stored all his loose CF cards. He lost all his cards (and the images that were on them) except for the one card he still had in his camera. I'm sure he wished he had had one big card at that time. You're more likely to keep an eye on, and be aware of, your big DSLR camera than a small CF card wallet that you have clipped to your belt or tumbling around away in your camera bag.

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom Senior Member • Posts: 2,215

big cards, small cards.. they all have their pros and cons as you guys have pointed out

on the other news.. SD cards only 64GB? ...psshhh

OSAM Regular Member • Posts: 489

I'd never use a 128gb card and, frankly, find that size absolutely useless. It's ridiculous to have so much space: hell it's more than any of my computers before this one has had.

I've heard of people buying the 64gb cards as "backup" in case their computers die or their harddrives take the plunge. I hardly think that Flash memory, as good as it is, is reliable enough for such sizes.

Hell, I have trouble with 4GB at a time.

mikev1 Regular Member • Posts: 265

People have been making that argument since 32 mb cards and probably even before that. I'd rather have 1 card than try to keep track of 10. Though it never hurts to have a good backup strategy.

lamah wrote:

Jerryrigged Regular Member • Posts: 465

OSAM wrote:

I'd never use a 128gb card and, frankly, find that size absolutely useless. It's ridiculous to have so much space: hell it's more than any of my computers before this one has had.

I've heard of people buying the 64gb cards as "backup" in case their computers die or their harddrives take the plunge. I hardly think that Flash memory, as good as it is, is reliable enough for such sizes.

Hell, I have trouble with 4GB at a time.

LOLOLOLOL!

Reminds me of when I heard my sister bought a PC with a (then huge) 1gb HD!!!

What!?! 1GB, Why on earth do you need 1gb? Sure, my 100mb drive is mostly full, but I can't see EVER NEEDING more than about a 200mb HD....

And that was in my desktop... LOL

You may not need it now, but you will in a few years....

-- hide signature --

Current digital camera: my cell phone
Also a E-410 & SP-570uz

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 19,088

I'lll have to double check, but I think due to overhead on the card, a full length HD video from a Canon 5D Mark II, for example, would not even fit on a 4GB card.
--

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +12 more
Leswick Veteran Member • Posts: 3,102

Once the price comes down, it would be much easier to carry 64 or 128GB cards as oppose to larger/heavier ext hard drives (backup). But, I'll continue to shoot with 8-16GB cards - we all have different needs and styles. Reducing weight is good....and that wasn't even my New Year's resolution.

Leswick

MarcV
MarcV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,995

People used to say the same back then when the IBM 340MB and 1GB Microdrive was the largest we could get.

lamah wrote:

-- hide signature --

Marc Vandenhende

MarcV's gear list:MarcV's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
LeRentier
LeRentier Forum Pro • Posts: 13,622

In the mid eighties I had a whopping 15MB hard drive and felt I was the king.

Yesterday I ordered an 8 GB SD card to go with a new P&S.
Ir cost about a third less than the 2 GB card I bought two years ago.

It suddenly seems a bit small compared to a card 16 times that size.

Theft is always a concern but you can also get killed crossing the street.

No risk no fun, isn't it ?

SeeRoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,666

Security of data means duplication, or triplication (my preference). It hardly matters how big the card is, what do you back it up to?

I've yet to have a CF card fail. That said, I've used hard drives continually since 1986 or 7 (my first Mac SE, which had a 2o Mb drive...) in all kinds of working environments and I have a hard time remembering more than two total failures in hundreds of drives.

The thing that bothers me about 128 gb cards is how much are they going to cost? I'd prefer 4 X 32 Gb in case of possible loss.
--
Trying...

josh007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,203

lamah wrote:

Back when I've bought the D100 I paid $220 USD for a 1GB Lexar and people told me the same thing, that I was crazy to use such a large card.

BTW; I never ever had problems with flash cards but a co-worker once lost all his images with one defective one.
--
http://www.pbase.com/juanfotos

Sparky_ca Veteran Member • Posts: 3,350
Compatibility?

What cameras using CF are currently compatible with this card?
--
Sparky_ca
Go take photos

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,028

I've seen it first about 4Gb cards

Doesn't mean I'll get one soon, as they'll be expensive per Gb for the time being

mikev1 wrote:

People have been making that argument since 32 mb cards and probably even before that. I'd rather have 1 card than try to keep track of 10. Though it never hurts to have a good backup strategy.

lamah wrote:

Birds have several strategies concerning eggs: some species lay a lot and lose many, some lay only a few but guard them carefully

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS XF 90mm
G10Rebel
G10Rebel Contributing Member • Posts: 788
Flash Based Storage Has Expire Date

Unless their technology limitation, voltage decaying, is resolved in time
--
http://hdr.strivearth.com | canon fodder

Re: Flash Based Storage Has Expire Date

G10Rebel wrote:

Unless their technology limitation, voltage decaying, is resolved in time

I have very old CF cards that I bought back when I got my first DSLR, the Canon 10D. They still work fine after all these years. I think the "expire date" is way overblown. Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 100,000 write-erase cycles before the integrity of the storage starts to deteriorate or wear out. That's plenty. By then, you should have easily gotten your money's worth out of it, if you ever hit that "wear out" point at all.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads