How deep is your 7D buffer?

Started Jan 12, 2010 | Discussions
liquidstone
liquidstone Forum Pro • Posts: 10,121
How deep is your 7D buffer?

Let's share some info about the number of continuous shots we can get from the 7D. Of course, we need to include some shooting info, as many factors affect file size and write speeds. Let's see if the newest, fastest CF cards can make a huge improvement from the published specs of 15 RAW buffer.

I can get 16 + 2 with my 7D (16 at roughly 8 fps, plus a split second delay then 2 more shots before the delay between each succeeding shot is noticeably longer).

Shooting info - RAW only, ISO 400, Tv of 1/1000 - 1/1600, Sandisk Extreme III 16 GB 30 Mbps, 400 mm lens in one shot AF.

I'm particularly curious on how the new Sandisk Extreme Pro performs on the 7D.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Romy

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
Photo Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
HD Bird Videos - http://exposureroom.com/members/RomyOcon.aspx/videos/

(Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

 liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more
Jovo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,200
Re: How deep is your 7D buffer?

Don't have the Sandisk Extreme Pro, but with an 8GB Extreme I get:

19 shots, a slight delay and a further one shot when taken with a 400mm f5.6, ISO200, 1/2000s.

The buffer cleared in under 5 secs.

 Jovo's gear list:Jovo's gear list
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
liquidstone
OP liquidstone Forum Pro • Posts: 10,121
19, Wow! Is that the new 60 mbps Extreme? nt

Jovo wrote:

Don't have the Sandisk Extreme Pro, but with an 8GB Extreme I get:

19 shots, a slight delay and a further one shot when taken with a 400mm f5.6, ISO200, 1/2000s.

The buffer cleared in under 5 secs.

-- hide signature --

Romy

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
Photo Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
HD Bird Videos - http://exposureroom.com/members/RomyOcon.aspx/videos/

(Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

 liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more
photoweasel Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: How deep is your 7D buffer?

liquidstone wrote:

Let's share some info about the number of continuous shots we can get from the 7D. Of course, we need to include some shooting info, as many factors affect file size and write speeds. Let's see if the newest, fastest CF cards can make a huge improvement from the published specs of 15 RAW buffer.

I can get 16 + 2 with my 7D (16 at roughly 8 fps, plus a split second delay then 2 more shots before the delay between each succeeding shot is noticeably longer).

Shooting info - RAW only, ISO 400, Tv of 1/1000 - 1/1600, Sandisk Extreme III 16 GB 30 Mbps, 400 mm lens in one shot AF.

7D (v1.1.0), RAW only, ISO 400, TV 1/1000, one shot AF, 10-22@22mm:

my 4GB Lexar Professional UDMA 300x (> 1 yr. old) yields 19-20 high-speed continuous shots before the delay/2-shot occurrence.

Jovo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,200
Re: 19, Wow! Is that the new 60 mbps Extreme? nt

That is the one...

liquidstone wrote:

Jovo wrote:

Don't have the Sandisk Extreme Pro, but with an 8GB Extreme I get:

19 shots, a slight delay and a further one shot when taken with a 400mm f5.6, ISO200, 1/2000s.

The buffer cleared in under 5 secs.

 Jovo's gear list:Jovo's gear list
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
tallshorty Contributing Member • Posts: 722
25 + 2

I can get 25 continuous shots with my 16GB Kingston Ultimate 266x CF card.

tallshorty Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Re: 25 + 2

It's odd that I can get more than the new Sandisk 60MB/sec CF. Mine was full size RAW at 8fps.

AndreasOberg Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: How deep is your 7D buffer?

Can everyone please also write how fast the buffer clears. This is also important.
Andreas

liquidstone
OP liquidstone Forum Pro • Posts: 10,121
25, a new high!!!!

Would you recall what ISO were you shooting at?

-- hide signature --

Romy

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
Photo Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
HD Bird Videos - http://exposureroom.com/members/RomyOcon.aspx/videos/

(Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

 liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more
liquidstone
OP liquidstone Forum Pro • Posts: 10,121
19-20 looks good too

I've learned good buffer management at BIFs from my 1D2's 18 RAW, which was amazing back then (the 300D has 4 RAWs, and the 20D, 6). I have to hold off pressing the shuttor button until the bird is just about to enter into the "photogenic zone" then let go once it's a bit past. A deeper buffer is always welcome, but I think I can live with 18-20 for most action shooting. This translates to a just over 2 sec capture window (at 8 fps), good enough for the peak action.

photoweasel wrote:

7D (v1.1.0), RAW only, ISO 400, TV 1/1000, one shot AF, 10-22@22mm:

my 4GB Lexar Professional UDMA 300x (> 1 yr. old) yields 19-20 high-speed continuous shots before the delay/2-shot occurrence.

-- hide signature --

Romy

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
Photo Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
HD Bird Videos - http://exposureroom.com/members/RomyOcon.aspx/videos/

(Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

 liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more
dprsok Senior Member • Posts: 1,422
Re: How deep is your 7D buffer?

I get 26 shots before the delay using Photofast 32GB Gmonster 533x. Raw only, ISO 400, 1/60, HTP and ALO disabled. Around 11 seconds to clear the buffer.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39169343@N04/

 dprsok's gear list:dprsok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
liquidstone
OP liquidstone Forum Pro • Posts: 10,121
26!!! The bar is raised higher

Any feedback on the reliability of Photofast cards?

dprsok wrote:

I get 26 shots before the delay using Photofast 32GB Gmonster 533x. Raw only, ISO 400, 1/60, HTP and ALO disabled. Around 11 seconds to clear the buffer.

-- hide signature --

Romy

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
Photo Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
HD Bird Videos - http://exposureroom.com/members/RomyOcon.aspx/videos/

(Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

 liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,294
Re: How deep is your 7D buffer?

photoweasel wrote:

7D (v1.1.0), RAW only, ISO 400, TV 1/1000, one shot AF, 10-22@22mm:

my 4GB Lexar Professional UDMA 300x (> 1 yr. old) yields 19-20 high-speed continuous shots before the delay/2-shot occurrence.

Even in the film days when there was no buffer to run up against, I never shot like that - that's more than half a roll of film!

I very seldomly came up against the buffer on my 30D, and doubt it'll ever be a problem on my 7D.

Mark

dprsok Senior Member • Posts: 1,422
Re: 26!!! The bar is raised higher

"Any feedback on the reliability of Photofast cards?"

No issues with mine.

 dprsok's gear list:dprsok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
samWebster123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,153
Photofast!

I have the 16gb 533x gmonster cards and have no issues for the last 2 months.

In real world shooting I've never been able to fill the buffer. I was shooting bison in december with my 7D and 1dm2n and kept switching bodies onto my 600f4. Shooting the same way with both bodies the 1dm2n was bogging down something terrible with a sandisk extreme III card. The 7D on the other had never bogged down which really impressed me.

I'll do a more controlled test tonight!

 samWebster123's gear list:samWebster123's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM +4 more
cmphotos Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: How deep is your 7D buffer?

Just a side note on settings. I noticed that if you have the camera set for High Speed Noise reduction this will significantly reduce the amount of images you can buffer. With HSNR set to Strong, standard I was able to get only 4-5 shots before buffer. With HSNR set to off I consistently get around 20 Raw+Jpeg before buffering starts.

Condor99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,938
Re: How deep is your 7D buffer?

liquidstone wrote:

Let's see if the newest, fastest CF cards can make a huge improvement from the published specs of 15 RAW buffer.>

The buffer is a fixed size located in the camera and it determines the amount of shots you can take in burst mode. The CF card has absolutely nothing to do with how many shots can fit into the buffer. The speed of the card only comes into play when it is time to empty the buffer or empty the card.

Tom Seiler
My portfolio:
http://picasaweb.google.com/SeilerBird/MyPortfolio

Jovo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,200
Re: How deep is your 7D buffer?

With a fast card the buffer is being cleared faster so that means you can achieve more shots until the buffer overflows and then reduces the fps.

Condor99 wrote:

liquidstone wrote:

Let's see if the newest, fastest CF cards can make a huge improvement from the published specs of 15 RAW buffer.>

The buffer is a fixed size located in the camera and it determines the amount of shots you can take in burst mode. The CF card has absolutely nothing to do with how many shots can fit into the buffer. The speed of the card only comes into play when it is time to empty the buffer or empty the card.

Tom Seiler
My portfolio:
http://picasaweb.google.com/SeilerBird/MyPortfolio

 Jovo's gear list:Jovo's gear list
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
aayjay
aayjay Contributing Member • Posts: 647
Same results with two CF's one is UDMA the other is not

Interesting. I shot RAW only with Romy's specs and got 19+2 for both a Transcend 300x UDMA (16gb) and a SanDisk Extreme III, 30MB/s (16gb).

I did not make any difference for a UDMA vs non-UDMA.

Alan

 aayjay's gear list:aayjay's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7S III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
Paul Feng Regular Member • Posts: 232
Q for dprsok

Is that the 533x or the 533x Plus?

Thanks...

dprsok wrote:

I get 26 shots before the delay using Photofast 32GB Gmonster 533x. Raw only, ISO 400, 1/60, HTP and ALO disabled. Around 11 seconds to clear the buffer.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39169343@N04/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads