2. New Camera. Old Lens.
3. Old Camera. New Lens.
4. Old Camera. Old Lens.

1. Possibly?
2. Not likely
3. Could be, but not likely given the coyness of it all
4. Not a chance.

Can only guess the abouyt the lens.

• You need a helicopter to take a wide vista.

• Fat lens body, big hood.

• Twilight... it's been a while, but my experience with f/2.8 lenses at twiligh is that even with D3 levels of ISO power, the shutter speeds are going to be fairly slow. Yes, this could be the 17-35 at ISO 6400, but what would be the marketing point?

• It's a helicopter. Unstable shooting platform

• Nikon likes "can you do this?" type of pictures with new products. Think back to the double page spread of the D3x brochure or the D700. Remember he understated way in which the D90 video was introduced showing the depth of field and lens possibilities.

So my guess is its a 24 f/1.8

Mebyon K
Mebyon K Contributing Member • Posts: 832
A possible clue

I picked up the latest copy of a magazine called Digital SLR User yesterday and in it is a first report by their camera reviewer on the D3s. They were given samples by Nikon in October which were fitted with the 24-70 f2.8 and, amongst other things, were taken for a helicopter ride over London. Not for any special photographic purpose, just as a 'jolly'.

So, either the blogger is behind the times and he is using a D3s/24-70 or it is a new model with the rumoured new 16-35. It also suggests that he wasn't the only camera user/reviewer in the helicopter and it was far from being a special job for a client other than Nikon.
--
Mebyon K

Mebyon K's gear list:Mebyon K's gear list
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Jorgen E Senior Member • Posts: 1,730
Optical AND sensor VR...

Bostjan Pulko wrote:

We’re shooting aerials of Miami…at twilight.

As Paris Hilton might say, “That’s huge.”

Picture won't tell much, bur these two sentences are written on purpose.

Wouldn't it be something, if Nikon were the first to have solved the problems with using both sensor and optical image stabilization...?

-- hide signature --

Take care,
Jorgen

Probere necesse est.....

J Mankila
J Mankila Veteran Member • Posts: 4,234
I think yours is a very good guess...

KnightPhoto2 wrote:

OK if low light is the schtick, that rules out the 24 megapixel sensor in the D3X. But it leaves open either an:

• 18+ megapixel sensor with good low light performance in a smaller than D700 body, in other words a HEAD TO HEAD 5Dii competitor. This would align with Canon dropping their price this week. No one has mentioned video - is that why you go up in a helicopter at twilight, seems likely.

I think it would be possible to show a twilight quite effectively in a video, but is that something Mr. Krist does regularly?

Other than that, I believe you're getting close to what Thom is hinting at - be that the truth or the best educated guess.

• or a D700S (D700 with D3S sensor)? If it's a D700S I'll order it and sell my D700.

That would be extremely swell, too. If only it came in a bit smaller body.

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

In-body VR?

Thom Hogan wrote:

I don't think I've given anything away. I'm just trying to get you speculators to actually look at the photo.

Look, let's make this simple. There's a camera and a lens in the shot. There are four possibilities:

1. New Camera. New Lens.
2. New Camera. Old Lens.
3. Old Camera. New Lens.
4. Old Camera. Old Lens.

a) Would Thom point to the possibility of something being "old", unless he actually thought that's the case?

b) Would Nikon do an advertising shoot like this for a new lens only? No.

c) So, let's assume it's a new camera with an old lens.

d) Twilight + static subject --> VR helps

e) Old lens --> VR is in-body

f) Possible bonus: Has Nikon solved the problems connected with using optical and sensor based VR simultaneously ?

-- hide signature --

Take care,
Jorgen

Probere necesse est.....

PhotoRecon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,032
Re: He's Doing Everything I Wouldn't Do.

I'm seen here field-testing the new D4 & new 85-105mm f/1.2 zoom lens
on this cold, November photo shoot over Savannah Lakes... LOL..

(BTW: I should have been wearing boots & pants with leg-ties - a bit of
a problem which I at that time learned about.)

marc
http://marcstpierrephotography.com

Alternative...

Jorgen E wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote:

I don't think I've given anything away. I'm just trying to get you speculators to actually look at the photo.

Look, let's make this simple. There's a camera and a lens in the shot. There are four possibilities:

1. New Camera. New Lens.
2. New Camera. Old Lens.
3. Old Camera. New Lens.
4. Old Camera. Old Lens.

a) Would Thom point to the possibility of something being "old", unless he actually thought that's the case?

b) Would Nikon do an advertising shoot like this for a new lens only? No.

c) So, let's assume it's a new camera with an old lens.

d) Twilight + static subject --> VR helps

e) Old lens --> VR is in-body

f) Possible bonus: Has Nikon solved the problems connected with using optical and sensor based VR simultaneously ?

g) An alternative to f) would be some kind of 1/2 pixel sensor shifts, to produce high resolution images.

"That's huge", as it were...

-- hide signature --

Take care,
Jorgen

Probere necesse est.....

DotM Regular Member • Posts: 231
new 14-24 VR?

sandy b wrote:

I think if Nikon hired him to showcase a FF camera, he said sure! I also don't think they would hire a helicopter to showcase a D90 replacement. I also don't think they would do the helicopter for JUST a lens. Maybe they would, but I doubt it. I think he's using a new FF and a new wide zoom, and we will kinow for sure in about 3 weeks. Oh, and I bet he is shooting video from that helicopter. (too).

Yep, video with image stabilisation I bet - so a VR lens for sure.

Could the lens possibly be a 14-24 'upgrade' - it is just about the best zoom nikon have right now and is simply crying out for removeable hood/filter attachments - why not add VR at the same time for all the video fans???

mtt_PL New Member • Posts: 4
A wild guess, what you think Tom ?

What we see is a shallow, large hood on the lens, which is itself is also quite big.

Thus it can be only wideangle. Due to the shallow hood and big lens barrel, I would say - a prime, fast wide angle. My type: 24/1,4 ? Quite useable in aerial photography, isn't it ? And NO VR since there's only m/a-m swich visible

BTW - Thom, any chance for fast DX tele, as the 35-135/2.8 DX VR, which is on your waiting list ? Or DX owners are deemed to have only plastic half-fast, half-pro lenses such as 35/1,8 and 85/3,5 ?

regards,

mtt_PL

Lift Off
Lift Off Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Re: I think Thom gave it away.

Body: FX on a Dxx body
Lens: new 24-120mm or something

Freymond Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: I think Thom gave it away.

Thom Hogan wrote:

1. New Camera. New Lens.
2. New Camera. Old Lens.
3. Old Camera. New Lens.
4. Old Camera. Old Lens.

I'll wanna play the rumor roulette too.

I would guess based on that he would not tell what equipment he's using that at least the body is new, so one can rule out options 3 & 4.

"That's huge" & shooting at twilight from up above could mean number of things:

• If he usually uses smaller bodies like D90, that would tell us that the body is bigger than D90.

• If he usually uses DX-sensor bodies, that would tell that the body has bigger sensor than DX, which would mean it would be a Full Frame body (or bigger :)).

• The pic itself shows that the viewfinder hump might be bigger than one on D700. That should indicate that the body has 100% viewfinder coverage. 100% viewfinder coverage with big viewfinder and full frame would be huge, when compared to D90/D300(s) or D700.

• Huge could also indicate that he's shooting with relatively wide angle lens. That assumption might be supported by the lens hood, and that the lens does not seem to have VR-switch. Also the fact that he's shooting a city from above in twilight could indicate that he is using fast WA lens. And wide on FX, well, that's Huge compared to DX.

• Twilight could mean Huge ISO. (Or huge DR, I wish it would be the FF Fuji S6/7 Pro! :))

• Huge city, huge amount of detail, more megapixels?

• The lens is another matter. Since the body blocks some of the lens, it's hard to tell if there a ring between the body & M/A-M-switch. I would guess there is. The apparent lack of VR-switch could indicate, that it's an old lens like 24-70 or new/old wide angle.

Based on this, and other rumors, my bet is on New Body (D900?) that has FF sensor, 100% viewfinder coverage, possibly more megapixels than D700, slightly better ISO performance than D700, in slightly bigger body than D700 (since the 100% viewfinder). And the lens could be new f/2.8 wide angle, 14/16/17-24/35.

Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads