A Photo Of The New Nikon???

Started Jan 11, 2010 | Discussions
Ashu Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: A Photo Of The New Nikon???

Thom Hogan wrote:

Got to say, I'm a little disappointed in the sleuthing abilities of this forum ;~). Everyone seems to have gotten out their Sherlock Holmes pixel-peeper looking for phantom Zeiss logos when some of the answers are much more obvious and right in front of you. Think, people, think.

Well now you're getting closer. There are many clues in both the photo and in Bob Krist's equipment choices. But I've yet to see anyone come to the same conclusion I did ;~).

He is talking a huge landsape photo at Twilight, means it needs a lots of depth of field. I guess it can only be achieved easily with a new Nikon MicroDX with 2.5 crop factor, am I correct Thom?

The lens may have a new MicroDX logo on it with a Blue background.

Ashu

JC Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

Might as well submit my guess: D900 with 16-35mm. If Nikon were to announce a smaller DSLR, I'd guess that one; but the prism does look too large for sub-FX. The hood on the lens seems very short, therefore a wide-angle zoom. Up in a helicopter, where the pilot cannot go wherever he wants, a zoom would make sense.

Of course, he could be using a D700. Don't think we're going to see a D700s for another year.

Joel

Thom Hogan wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote:

Hans Giersberg wrote:

Bob Krist's latest blog entry talks about a shoot he's doing for a client, which he can't name, using a camera, which he can't name. He includes a shot of himself using the camera however.

Got to say, I'm a little disappointed in the sleuthing abilities of this forum ;~). Everyone seems to have gotten out their Sherlock Holmes pixel-peeper looking for phantom Zeiss logos when some of the answers are much more obvious and right in front of you. Think, people, think.

Well now you're getting closer. There are many clues in both the photo and in Bob Krist's equipment choices. But I've yet to see anyone come to the same conclusion I did ;~).

JC's gear list:JC's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,722

Need large DOF? From a bloody airplane???

Uh - no.... in fact, last thing he'd want is DOF that is too large as then he'd get more of the imperfections of the window in the image.

-- hide signature --

My guess is a new wide zoom - maybe the 16/17-35/40 type - based upon the lens shade size, probably on a D900 or whatever it's gonna be called.

-m

thafuzz Regular Member • Posts: 204
Re: I agree with Leo

PhotoRecon wrote:

if someone is serious about air-to-ground work:

1) why bring the lens hood? (if so needed, why not have an attached bag to easily place it and other stuff in? - a backwards hood on a lens is (to me) nothing but an obstacle to work around. Period. - I haven't even bothered to go down that road)

and 2) if the work is for professional results, which I'm guessing it would be here, why shoot through glass to begin with?

(as a personal note: a hood adversely affects the turning of a circular polarizing filter - which I use religiously when up at altitude, even at dusk).

Cold? well, again - he & the pilot should bundle up & guts it out.

my opinion.
marc

I have some eperience with this also and I agree.

No lens hood.
No doors or windows if at all possible.

If shooting with a polarizer definitely no doors or windows!!! The windows often have coatings that will mess with your polarizer.

I have shot trough airplane windows by putting my fingers on the window and my hand on the lens as to stabilize my setup while at the same time not touching then window with the lens. The closer to the window the better and wide open aperture will reduce any reflections to a haze that can be processed if thats the only way... free holding close to a window is risky, there is always a bump in the air and you willl end up smashing the lens into the window, not good.

oops, sorry if this was of topic. The photo in question looks more llike a show off then a serious airial photo session??

bob elkind Veteran Member • Posts: 5,815
my guess... you're close

Cerumen wrote:

Aerial could certainly lend itself to VR. Assuming this is the real hood for the lens (and not intended to simply mask some of the optic, my wild guess is a 35mm f1.4 AF-S with VR.

Since it doesn't cost anything to make a wild- ss guess, here's mine:

• lens hood shape (it's shallow!) suggests wide angle lens

• lens length (it's longer than a typical wide-angle prime) suggests zoom

• lens width (or narrowness) suggests it's not a f/2.8 lens

• buttons on side (I think those are buttons) indicate AF-S and VR on/off switches

How long is the zoom? What clues are there about the camera body? Looks like the body has an on-board flash.

OK, here's my guess: 28-300 FX lens with VR, Nikon's FX version of the 18-200/VR. And a mid-market FX body to complete the kit for the D90/D300s class of customers.

What do I win if I guess right, Drew?

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind
Family,in/outdoor sports, landscape, wildlife
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +5 more
AD Photogs Regular Member • Posts: 375

Thom Hogan wrote:

My take is that he is shooting a landscape (hence wide angle lens and FX) that needs to be stopped down (for depth of field) from a moving object (VR?) in extremely low light (High ISO). I have no idea what camera/lens combo he is using, as do none of you, so I won't guess.

What I will say what I would use in this situation if they were available.
1) D3s or better, anything with EXCELLENT ISO6400 and FX

2) 28 f/1.4 is wide enough...wide open with subject at 1000 feet gives a hyperfocal range of 61' to infinity. Manual focus is fine so leave the lenshood reversed to reduce chance of moving focus...especially at this end of the range.

AD Photogs's gear list:AD Photogs's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D3 +1 more
Lou Cohen Regular Member • Posts: 497
Or maybe...

The 'client he cant name' is Sony, using a new 'camera he cant name' of theirs. Could he be jumping ship to Sony?
Lou

Bostjan Pulko
Bostjan Pulko Regular Member • Posts: 424

We’re shooting aerials of Miami…at twilight.

As Paris Hilton might say, “That’s huge.”

Picture won't tell much, bur these two sentences are written on purpose.

-- hide signature --

Sony and twilight?

Which cameras are best at twilight for handheld shots?

Huge?

.. it's either the lens or the camera .. maybe both?

kasponaut Forum Member • Posts: 67

Maybe the client is Nikon and the camera is the new Nikon?!?
--
Actually joined in June 2002. Man ... time flies by fast!

OP Hans Giersberg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,939
My Not-So-Elementary Deductions, Mr Watson.

Got to say, I'm a little disappointed in the sleuthing abilities of this forum ; )

I haven't read the other responses to your post, but the clues to me are:

Bob Krist is a Nikon shooter (this is the main reason I felt his blog comments were most likely related to Nikon developments, and why I started the thread). So while we can't say whether it's Zeiss and Sony gear, it's much more likely to be Nikon gear.

Presumably the client hired Bob for his area of expertise - travel photography. And since Bob mentioned the gear he was using is proprietary, we can assume it's new stuff, and that his assignment is to demonstrate the unique features of the new stuff in ways that Bob would normally use gear.

Because Bob is a travel photographer, he needs to travel light. He normally shoots with D90 bodies and small lightweight zooms. A full body with a built in vertical grip therefore doesn't make any sense. Since Bob chose D90's over D700-sized bodies, I'm assuming he's most likely testing a smaller body camera (D90 or D5000 sized).

The aerial shots may indicate he's shooting with a VR lens, but at best that's a weak clue. The lens is almost certainly a zoom, and from the lens hood we know it goes wide.

That's a big viewfinder hump, suggesting FX. Hmmmm. Bob likes small bodies. Maybe a D90-sized FX body, with a new VR zoom that goes wide. That WOULD be interesting.

If I recall correctly Thom, in one of your posts about a week ago, you suggested their would be a D90 replacement soon (maybe even in the mid-February batch).

-- hide signature --

I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Web Site - http://www.visual-journeys.com/

MickeP Regular Member • Posts: 111
Re: Or maybe...

Lou Cohen wrote:

The 'client he cant name' is Sony, using a new 'camera he cant name' of theirs. Could he be jumping ship to Sony?
Lou

Even though the lens logo looks blue, I still say Nikon. Look at the strap mount, Nikon pro style. Personally I think the lens hood looks like a regular DX-hood, and so does the lens itself. If it didn't have just one switch, my best guess would be the 18-200.

bbbinohio Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Re: Why?

Why do you think the wait will continue?

Bob

bbbinohio's gear list:bbbinohio's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +5 more
J Mankila
J Mankila Veteran Member • Posts: 4,234
I couldn't think of anything more exciting...

Hans Giersberg wrote:

That's a big viewfinder hump, suggesting FX. Hmmmm. Bob likes small bodies. Maybe a D90-sized FX body, with a new VR zoom that goes wide. That WOULD be interesting.

Small body, big sensor. To me that would be the basis for the perfect camera. An adept weather sealing, a metal frame and handy exposure metering would be the suitable spicing.

You've now made me extremely anxious, Hans, but I don't seem to mind.

If I recall correctly Thom, in one of your posts about a week ago, you suggested their would be a D90 replacement soon (maybe even in the mid-February batch).

That would be a bit of a disappointment. I'd say Nikon should try small body size along with a high quality frame and sealing. But that wouldn't be a D90 replacement, anymore...

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

OP Hans Giersberg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,939
I Agree

J Mankila wrote:

That would be a bit of a disappointment. I'd say Nikon should try small body size along with a high quality frame and sealing. But that wouldn't be a D90 replacement, anymore...

I agree. What would be exciting is a small body with D700-class build quality, weather sealing, and performance specs.

-- hide signature --

I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Web Site - http://www.visual-journeys.com/

09 CTS V New Member • Posts: 7
My guess

Okay, based on the clues.....twilight.....huge.....helicopter

He was taking a picture of a giant werewolf that was about to dismember a vampire. they were in a helicopter because both vampires and werewolfs are able to catch a person on the ground.

Did I win?

Osku Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985
low light video, high resolution, Nikon, a new f/1.4 AF-S lens (VR?)

That sounds like a D900 to me!

Could they have been "crazy" enough to have in-body VR? Unlikely but somehow possible. More likely is that he just uses a fast lens and high ISO (with perhaps 1080p).

-- hide signature --

Osku

Osku's gear list:Osku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +4 more
Mitrajoon Senior Member • Posts: 2,005

From today's guest blogger on Scott Kelby's site:

For example, this summer Bill and I spent a month in Australia working on the ad campaign for the Nikon D3s. Immediately after we finished that project, we had another ad campaign that has yet to be released.

-- hide signature --
Thoughts R Us
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 2,774

Bob could also be using that nifty new device to record video. Bob also makes some really great multimedia, and you can see some of that on his website.

Maybe Bob can be for Nikon what Vincent Laforet has been to Canon?

DarrylJ Regular Member • Posts: 137
Re: My Not-So-Elementary Deductions, Mr Watson.

Hans Giersberg wrote:

Because Bob is a travel photographer, he needs to travel light. He normally shoots with D90 bodies and small lightweight zooms. A full body with a built in vertical grip therefore doesn't make any sense. Since Bob chose D90's over D700-sized bodies, I'm assuming he's most likely testing a smaller body camera (D90 or D5000 sized).

I concur. I attended a Bob Krist seminar where he talked about his equipment. There he stated he used two D90 for their size, performance, AND value. I.e. he could buy the two D90's for the price of a "pro" body. Therefore my guess is that it's a new smaller body than the new D900 (or whatever it'll be called).

-- hide signature --

Darryl J.

DarrylJ's gear list:DarrylJ's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D200 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
DvD5 Contributing Member • Posts: 831
Re: Insanity

Okay, I'll take a stab at this.

Looks to me like he's shooting a vertical. Notice the petal hood has the wide petals on the side--they would be in this position for a vertical. The "Zeiss logo" is the clear window on the lens to display distance. The "viewfinder hump" is actually the grip or his hand.

Likely it is a zoom due to the shape of the hood. Fixed FL lenses usually (but not always) have the non-petal shape. Perhaps the 24-1xx lens.

Likely a low-light, high-ISO d700 sized body.

Don
--
A few photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dvd5/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads