Sony's A450 - why?

Started Jan 5, 2010 | Discussions
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,733
Sony's A450 - why?

Why does the A450 exist? Did they just have some spare parts?

As someone who keeps considering a switch to Sony, I am very baffled by this past years releases. They make almost no sense at all. There's 6 or 7 consumer level SLRs all with blended specs and no clear tier levels. How is a consumer supposed to figure out what to buy? There's no midlevel APS-C, 2 basic full frames, no sports or Pro level camera. What is Sony trying to accomplish?

nanaphoto Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Sony's A450 - why?

my sentiments exactly. why does this camera need to exist?

JoeinLA Regular Member • Posts: 137

Yeah, it's wierd.

I'm very happy with my A900 and lenses, but if I were buying into a "system", I'd be afraid that the Sony system is a little behind, unfocused, and uncertain right now.

Great technology, great lenses, but no real direction...

Whatever. If I ever get to a point where I can't do something b/c of a weakness in the Sony lineup, I'll worry about it. So far, I'm still learning so it doesn't really matter to me.

Though reading the gearheads' comments is quite an enjoyable spectator sport.

-- hide signature --

I'm a noob, so everything I say can be, and most likely is, wrong.

Jogger
Jogger Veteran Member • Posts: 8,441

they do the same with all their product lines.. you think there are a lot of SLRs.. check out their camcorder line.. probably 40+ models from entry to entry-professional alone. thats how they work. and thats why there is an a850

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
3sgilbert Senior Member • Posts: 1,349

im sure this will replace the 230/330/380 so then you will have entry level
a450
upgrade to rtlv with a500
flagship consumer camera a550

then a650/750 for prosumer

a850/950 FF Pro pretty simple really
--
Sony a700 with HVL56AM
Sony a550 ( Wife )
Minolta 50mm F1.4
Minolta 28-75 F2.8 Japan
Sony 18-55 ( Kit )
Tamron 70-200 F2.8 Di
Tamron 28-105 F2.8
Tamron 28-200 3.5-5.6
Tamron 200-500 5-6.3 Di

3sgilbert's gear list:3sgilbert's gear list
Nikon D750 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
mike_2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635

WTF? is my reaction to this. Of all the things sony need do, adding yet another camera in this segment is just bizarre. Seems like their treading water while working out the next step, which is very long in coming...

-- hide signature --
 mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A55 Canon EOS 5D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +5 more
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 19,388
Because Sony == Minolta !

For all the folks that thought Sony wouldn't honor Minolta's heritage ... Minolta had a track record of churning out numerous confusing variations on entry level models in each AF "generation". (Particularly the 'si' generation about 10 years ago).

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
DLHoffman Junior Member • Posts: 34

I agree; the a450, a500 and a550 are a much better entry level threesome than the a230, a330 and a380 are. They may still lack some features many here would like, but they are better designed and are higher performing.

The question is, will Sony lower the prices to a230,330,380 levels or lower the a230,330,380 prices lower than they are now?

Or, better yet, maybe they will keep the a330, and scrap the 230 and 380. They could then price the a330 at the a230 level or even less. It would be a real bargain for those that can live with the grip.

Renato1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,333

They've got three basic entry level models that to me look like they were made for women's hands, now they have a more advanced model made for men's hands.

Sort of makes sense to me.
Renato

tom Senior Member • Posts: 2,724
Re: Because Sony == Minolta !

Unfortunately I agree. This past year I kept flashing back to the "si" / "Tsi" series. In the US it seemed as though they were two different series, but I think it was more confusing with the DYNAX versions (500si, 505si, 505si super) plus the real entry level QTsi (cutie si) fully auto-no exposure info camera -- a real interchangeable lens P&S.

After the si/Tsi phase, it seemed that Minolta got it right for a while with the 9, 7, and 5. But then they came out with the 4 (a stripped down 5 --why bother), and the 3 (another interchangable lens P&S-- I always wanted to see someone with one of those and the 300mm f/2.8 SSM attached.)

The thing was that the Minolta annual report from the following year indicated that the low level entry level cameras were economic failures (sales never made up for the low margins they could get at that level), so I really can't understand what Sony is trying to do with so many entry level cameras and series???

Tom

al. Senior Member • Posts: 1,431
Why not?

It's like an updated A200 with a better grip than the A230.

tkbslc wrote:

As someone who keeps considering a switch to Sony, I am very baffled by this past years releases. They make almost no sense at all. There's 6 or 7 consumer level SLRs all with blended specs and no clear tier levels. How is a consumer supposed to figure out what to buy? There's no midlevel APS-C, 2 basic full frames, no sports or Pro level camera. What is Sony trying to accomplish?

al.'s gear list:al.'s gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Olympus TG-5 +15 more
Ionian Senior Member • Posts: 1,276

Ummm.... because most likely Good ol' Toru thinks this is now the bestest DSLR in the whole world? I'm sure a press release about how he's using this for all his hobby shooting is not far behind.

Thank God Toru isn't a chef - You'd ask for steak and get a salad! If he was a doctor, you'd go for a skin rash and he'd remove your kidney!

Frank
--
'...For every man who has ever lived, in this universe,
there shines a star.'
-Arthur C. Clarke
-------------------------------------------
Why is it that the people with the biggest and most
conspicuous watermarks have the photos least worth
stealing?

I instantly disregard any thread or poster that use the
words 'Tack Sharp'.

'Can't help it, I am a Barry fanboy.' - gpr2020, Sept. 3,

Ionian's gear list:Ionian's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100
Phixel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,777

tkbslc wrote:

Sony's 10MP CCD is nearing the end of it's useful life and is being phased out in favor of the CMOS sensors. IMO, the a450 will be the bottom of the Alpha DSLR line in a years time and the 2xx and 3xx lines will be retired in favor of an EVIL camera, maybe based on the body design a330 with the small grip.

-Phil

Russell Ervin Senior Member • Posts: 1,668
Why are people upset?

It's just another model. Looks like a good basic camera. Why are people upset by this? Who cares if there are 25 different models? More choices, just pick the one you like.

To me it's better to have more models to choose from than less models to choose from. I can see people complaining if Sony only had a few models and little choice. Other brands have put out tons of different models, DPR has to have split forums for all the models.

I think people are going to complain no matter what Sony does, it is rather silly and sad. It looks like if Sony made a model for every person on this forum according to that person's specs, there would still be complaints...heheh.

They are only cameras after all, just tools. People forget what is important is called 'photography', not 'camera owning'.
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quietrvr/
Gear=A camera with a lens.

silviuv New Member • Posts: 1

I think thet the A450 is a welcome addition to the line. For me, it is the real photographer's A550. It has all the usefull qualities of the 550 (new sensor, MF LV, body design, 5-7 fps) and loses some of it's problems or bells&whisles like the flexible LCD, QuickAF LiveView).

I still hope video comes along sometime soon, because it IS usefull.

Now we just have to wait for the A700 replacement(s).

JanKritzinger Regular Member • Posts: 351
Cheap High FPS, High ISO, High IQ, for those that don't need LV

LV is not a necessity, and for those that want it there's the A550.

This is a cheaper option for those that want A550 FPS, High Iso performance and image quality, but without LV.

The a450 is the PERFECT upgrade to someone who's been shooting a100/a200 for the last few years.

Sony is going for marketshare, and not everyone is rich.

Personally, I like how Sony is tackling segment by segment, flooding the market with a plethora of models, very agressively priced - and they are specifically tackling the segments that make the most sense;

• budget FF (because Sony is the only budget FF option - they've even said that they won't compete frontally against canikon, they'll come in via unexploited segments)

• entry/midrange (because DSLR photography is all about a system. If you can ensure that someone's first cam is a sony, there's a good chance his second cam willl be a sony)

In the past Canikon were left alone and had the market all to themselves - with the recent explosion in the popularity of DSLR photography, Sony wants a slice of the pie, and they're taking it.

I for one welcome our new Sony overlords.

pramodaggrawal Regular Member • Posts: 279

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww how come sony didnt think about it and each of us here can

isnt it nice to launch an imporved version of a machine and then stop production of last two versiions.. in this case may be A2x and A3xx.

Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,492

tkbslc wrote:

2 basic full frames

LOL

-- hide signature --
 Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +14 more
JohnDB Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Why are people upset?

Russell Ervin wrote:

It looks like if Sony made a model for every person on this forum according to that person's specs, there would still be complaints...heheh.

I couldn't agree more. It won't be long before we hear complaints about the lack of MLU and DOF preview. I not meaning to "complain" as I like the A450, but I wish it had video as this would have made a big splash in the marketplace. However, this would have overshadowed the A5xx cameras.

JB

JohnDB's gear list:JohnDB's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony SLT-A77 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +6 more
cibrev New Member • Posts: 2

Not sure...all I know is that Sony is long overdue coming up with DSLR that can successfully compete with Canon 7D or Nikon D300s. Instead, in the past few months they intorduced three new DSLR's (500, 550 & 450) that bring almost nothing new or needed to the advanced amateur public that was looking to upgrade the ageing A700....long story short, recently sold all my Sony gear and jumped ship - I'll never look back.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads