Sony Alpha 450?

Started Jan 4, 2010 | Discussions
don1jam Regular Member • Posts: 315
Sony Alpha 450?
Mika Kovalainen Regular Member • Posts: 388
Re: Sony Alpha 450?

Odd - if it is true we will have yet another stripped down camera a bit above entry model in price but missing many basic functions.

The mis-spelled text in the front page makes me believe and wish that it is a false rumour.

Richo -> Ricoh

PierreChris Senior Member • Posts: 1,103

The A450 will be announced at CES Las Vegas, another entry level camera, nothing special, I would like to see somme picture of the other rumor the A650??? but untill now no confirmation what so ever on that one.

ck3
ck3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,925
Yes

it has been hinted at in advance by more or less reliable sources. Basically an A500 without live view if I remember correctly (could be the A550 as well).

OP don1jam Regular Member • Posts: 315

Can anyone read the text?

Addictif
Addictif Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: Yes

Ok, now i'm worried about the path Sony is going ... i mean, if this is true...
--
Pedro Sombreireiro.

Shooting with: A550, Minolta 24mm f2.8, Sony 50mm
f1.4, Sony CZ 16-80, Minolta 100-200 f4.5 & 70-210 f4
Light by Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24358740@N07/

Tomodo89 Regular Member • Posts: 135

By zooming in i can read:

• The sensor? (12MP?)

• ISO 200 - 12,800

• SDHC / MS Pro Duo

• The price - I can see Yen and 4000__

• 1/100?

• FM500H battery

• Body size

• ??

-- hide signature --

Live Music Photographer in Surrey/Hampshire, UK
http://tomodo.net
http://flickr.com/tomodophotography

Tomodo89's gear list:Tomodo89's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +4 more
Shishkejo Forum Member • Posts: 69

from what i see it not the 4000 yen, it's 1/4000 ... and the 1/100 i guess it is 1/200 flash sync speed. and 14.2mp. Not really interesting....

CatStevens11 Contributing Member • Posts: 932
Thank You!

Mark

ck3
Why?

Addictif wrote:

Ok, now i'm worried about the path Sony is going ... i mean, if this is true...
--

Nothing wrong with offering more options (and people were complaining about the protruding screen and the small viewfinder).

I expect more innovative and interesting releases later this year. If the A450 were the only new model this year I'd be worried as well.

jcurtistx Contributing Member • Posts: 503

Sony is off their rocker thinking they need 6 sub $1000 DSLRs if they introduce the A450 and keep all of the other cameras.

They will have the A230/330/380/450/500/550 which is simply overkill... Seems like they are continuing the shotgun approach to put several models out there and see what people want to buy. I would think by now they would have some data to support what models sell better than others to help consolidate the lineup in 2010...

-- hide signature --

A550, Tamron 17-50, Sony 50 f1.8, Sony 70-300G

jcurtistx's gear list:jcurtistx's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
gillbod Senior Member • Posts: 1,598

lots of japanese companies will avoid having model numbers with 4's in them, due to superstitious reasons.

maybe sony won't follow, i don't know. either way, there is a 6 series that needs to be filled...

Addictif
Addictif Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: Why?

I don't really understand what's the point ...

Maybe they want to close the A2xx and A3xx series i don't know but ...

launching stripped down cameras ... A500 is a stripped version of the A550 ... now a A450 is a stripped donw from the A500 ...

I just can't understand what's the major advantages or what it will bring for a end user other than being cheaper. And you still have the A3xx series and A2xx...

That's the reason

-- hide signature --

Pedro Sombreireiro.

Shooting with: A550, Minolta 24mm f2.8, Sony 50mm
f1.4, Sony CZ 16-80, Minolta 100-200 f4.5 & 70-210 f4
Light by Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24358740@N07/

ck3

Addictif wrote:

I don't really understand what's the point ...

Maybe they want to close the A2xx and A3xx series i don't know but ...

launching stripped down cameras ... A500 is a stripped version of the A550 ... now a A450 is a stripped donw from the A500 ...

I just can't understand what's the major advantages or what it will bring for a end user other than being cheaper. And you still have the A3xx series and A2xx...

That's the reason

IIRC the A450 won't be available in all markets. But more models means more shelf space (shelf space that in turn isn't available for competitors) and means the projection of a more complete system ("look how many cameras!") - even if they do not really differ much.

And as to the advantages for the end user - being cheaper is a pretty important advantage I'd say

jcurtistx Contributing Member • Posts: 503

To me it would make more sense to have two models in each range - one with LV and one without.

For example...
A230/380 (Entry Models)

A450/550 (Advanced Consumer)

A600/650 (Amateur or whatever is appropriate to refer to users above the A5xx lineup)

A750/780 (Advanced Amateur/Semi Pro top of the line APS-C)

Will Sony do this? Who knows. All I know is adding the A450 while not consolidating seems like it will hurt Sony in the end by confusing potential buyers as they already have too many models and few on display at stores such as Best Buy.

Sony needs an A650/750 before the A450 unless they trim the lineup of sub $1000 cameras...

-- hide signature --

A550, Tamron 17-50, Sony 50 f1.8, Sony 70-300G

jcurtistx's gear list:jcurtistx's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

ck3 wrote:

IIRC the A450 won't be available in all markets. But more models means more shelf space (shelf space that in turn isn't available for competitors) and means the projection of a more complete system ("look how many cameras!") - even if they do not really differ much.

And as to the advantages for the end user - being cheaper is a pretty important advantage I'd say

Reminds me of that old saying.

"never mind the quality, feel the width"

If it is true, it's pointless, a LV less A500 appeals just as little to some, as the A5xx models do on their own. What is needed, is some attention to basic photographic features, that are missing.

No point bashing out a lot of zzzzzzzz cameras, if people don't buy them

ck3

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Reminds me of that old saying.

"never mind the quality, feel the width"

If it is true, it's pointless, a LV less A500 appeals just as little to some, as the A5xx models do on their own.

"Some" meaning what exactly here? You and your friends?

What is needed, is some attention to basic photographic features, that are missing.

No point bashing out a lot of zzzzzzzz cameras, if people don't buy them

They don't? Would you be so kind as to point me to the global sales figures?

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

ck3 wrote:

If you are trying to suggest 2 people in the world want a bit more than some face and smile detection mode, how about just a little something in the custom menus? I mean DSLR's are not point and shoots, cough..sorry I forgot Sony have yet to work that one out

We'll see Sony's market share slipping, so just hold on..Japan numbers were awful, last place, EU will be better but lower than last year, and the USA will be weak as well.

My point remains, DSLR's are not cybershots, and if Sony's pile it high never mind about features strategy is working so well, do take the time to explain why the big 2 are not doing the same, in fact no other company feels the need to shelf pad for DSLR's, apart from Sony, and..it's not even working!

Danel Senior Member • Posts: 2,905
Unofficial A450 specs here

I have it from a very unreliable source that the Sony A450 (code name Barrycam) will have the following specs:
-Manual focus live view from the main sensor only (no flip lcd).

-A slightly larger OVF versus A5xx camera (possible due to lack of secondary sensor).
-A true mlu function
-DOF preview
-Program Shift
-Direct manual focus
-12mp cmos sensor
-shoots 4fps
-$499 with 18-55 kit lens (price in 3months will be $399)

-$200 off to anyone named Barry Fitzgerald provided they sign an agreement to stop complaining about Sony cameras for period of one year.

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

ck3 wrote:

If you are trying to suggest 2 people in the world want a bit more than some face and smile detection mode, how about just a little something in the custom menus? I mean DSLR's are not point and shoots, cough..sorry I forgot Sony have yet to work that one out

We'll see Sony's market share slipping, so just hold on..Japan numbers were awful, last place, EU will be better but lower than last year, and the USA will be weak as well.

My point remains, DSLR's are not cybershots, and if Sony's pile it high never mind about features strategy is working so well, do take the time to explain why the big 2 are not doing the same, in fact no other company feels the need to shelf pad for DSLR's, apart from Sony, and..it's not even working!

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
gil Forum Pro • Posts: 16,774
Let SONY release what they like and the market will decide (nt)
-- hide signature --

Cheers,
gil - San Jose, CA
Cheap Lens, JPG and 100% Handholding Provocateur
Like happiness, photography is often better created than pursued.

gil's gear list:gil's gear list
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Sony a6600 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads