New Sony 2010 Roadmap at CES Las Vegas !!! no A7xx ??

Started Jan 4, 2010 | Discussions
PierreChris Senior Member • Posts: 1,103
New Sony 2010 Roadmap at CES Las Vegas !!! no A7xx ??

CES, Las Vegas, January 7-10 2010:

Sony announces the A950. Basically it is a A900 with a 32 Mpix sensor. No video mode. High iso.

So this means that Sony keeps 2 FF DSLRs in offer, one at 1500$ street price (MSRP 2000$) and one at 2000$ (MSRP 2500$).

Expect a 600mm lens to be announced between january and april.

(Side note: this leaves Nikon and Canon to announce a D4 and a 1D mark 4 respectively around march).

From this point onwards, Sony communication will be focalized on the soccer World Cup 2010 (in june). Sony was accepted to be one of the only 6 FIFA partners already in 2007, time to get the investment back...

NAB, Las Vegas, april 10-15.

Sony announces the A1000. This will be a revolutionary camera, basically a DSLR video camera hybrid. Sony wants to use NAB, because this camera is mainly a video camera. Sony feels that RED is eating too much market share from their Cinealta line, so they need a cheaper offer along their more traditional camcorders. Expect the A1000 to look a bit like the RED, costs roughly the same and be able to take 32 MPix pictures while filming in HDV at the same time. Expect a 28-300 lens with SSM (typical video range and SSM is silent, which is important for video).

Around the same time, the A2x and A3x line is replaced by smaller, cheaper crop cameras with video. Expect a very cheap A150 without built-in AF motor.

Marketingwise, Sony communication will be axed on the FIFA:
-a pro SLR with the A950 ( )

-a new type of camera with the A1000, perfectly positioned to celebrate the convergence between photo and video on the fields
-Sony video pro stands will assist the Sony soccer photographs and videographs

-all this so that the typical soccer fan wants to buy a camera of the same brand than the pros: the new A2x-A3x line.

(* a photograph which uses a photo camera incapable of video pays less FIFA royalties to be on the spot, that counts on a budget)

(Summer: A850 ceases production silently. Camera stays in program until stocks are cleared, just like the A900.)

Fotokina, Köln, september 8-10:

Sony announces the A5x, to replace the present "5" line. At the same time, a new FF DSLR is announced, the A820. Basically, a A850 with a 32 Mpix sensor and a smaller, plastic body. SD card replaces the CF slot. Video mode, built-in flash, simplified viewfinder. 1500$ MSRP, street price around 1000$ for christmas.

The A950 replacement is to be announced at CES 2011.

JanKritzinger Regular Member • Posts: 351
wat

source?

Geir Eivind Mork Senior Member • Posts: 1,680
Re: New Sony 2010 Roadmap at CES Las Vegas !!! no A7xx ??

CES, Las Vegas, January 7-10 2010:

Sony announces the A950. Basically it is a A900 with a 32 Mpix sensor. No video mode. High iso.

I find the rumour -webpages to be something between midly amusing to downright insulting. It seems like the people behind them are too much focused on numbers and stats. I've yet to see much creditibility in the predictions done towards sony, and I highly doubt this lot is any better.

32 megapixles. Probably useful for some, but Sony already have a megapixel monster. Now they need a sport shooter. which the nice folks at the rumor site you found this had forgot, and they even said Sony would replace CF with SD, which has a lower speed thus making 32 megapixles even less useful in anything fast-moving.

They probably are up to 32 mp at one point, but not in 2010. That I can put money on. And I would think a a700 replacement is more imminent than a higher end camera than the a850, considering the possible sale volume and earnings thereof.

-- hide signature --

I want Sonys fullframe answer to the 5d mk2. Sensor live view and
video, hopefully with less mp than the 850/900.

Geir Eivind Mork's gear list:Geir Eivind Mork's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
jmknights
jmknights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,689

About 1 minute after reading this post I received and email from Sony with:
"James, Want to go to the Sony Press Conference
but can't make it to CES? Watch the Sony Press Conference
Live starting at 4:15-5:15pm PST on January 6th, 2010 on
Cnet.com, uStream.TV or on the Sony Electronics
Facebook page."
Get the latest scoop from CES
Live Blogging @SonyElectronicsCommunity.com
Videos highlighting new products @YouTube.com/SonyElectronics
Photos from the Sony Booth @Flickr.com/SonyElectroncis

Are you on Facebook? Get Sony updates from the show floor at Facebook.com/SonyElectronics
Live tweets from our Press Conference and throughout the week @SonyElectronics
For all your tweets join the conversation by using #SonyCES

Get info on CES products available to purchase or demo by reading the Sony Style® blog"

Well it should get the rumor mill buzzing...

Jim in VT

jmknights's gear list:jmknights's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A77 +3 more
taz002dev New Member • Posts: 5

A thing that confirms first post is that a550 is called the top end APS-C Sony DSLR.

I have bought Photo Magazine in Romania for December and they have compared a550 with other brands like d300s, Canon 7d and I erally wondered why.

The reason stated by them is that it will remain the top end DSLR APS-C SOny DLSR.

Later on I'll post the scanned magazine and also a translation of the exact text.

I am also considering sending a mail to them and ask for some details, maybe I get lucky.

I would be really dissapointed to have the best sony apsc a700 wich has some major parts to be improved...but what can I say, maybe a850 will be at the price of a700 in half of year and I'll be glad to take it and don't complayn about my a700.
--
http://www.fotoevents.ro

Addictif
Addictif Contributing Member • Posts: 627

It's a weird thought but lets see...

It's not a good move to launch a new camera, only with a increase of resolution without having major advantages.

Worst, launching a camera with an "old sensor" that only focus on higher resolutions doesn't really work that well ...

It's almost here, let's see!

-- hide signature --

Pedro Sombreireiro.

Shooting with: A550, Minolta 24mm f2.8, Sony 50mm
f1.4, Sony CZ 16-80, Minolta 100-200 f4.5 & 70-210 f4
Light by Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24358740@N07/

nemofin Contributing Member • Posts: 739

well, bring me a900 successor, thats the baby Iam looking for

Addictif

A550 it's not the top of the lineAPS-c camera.

You can read in the Sony that the top of the line, still shows the A700 for amateur and semi-professional photographers ...

A550 it's a "top of the line" consumer dSLR ... not "pro-consumer"

-- hide signature --

Pedro Sombreireiro.

Light by Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream:

OP PierreChris Senior Member • Posts: 1,103
No A7xx replacement theorie !!!

DSLR’s have 2 major problems: 1. Mirror that slows down the frame rate. 2. Mirror that causes long “lens to sensor plane” distance.

So APSC DSLR’s will be replaced by EVIL cameras in the future – with electronic shutter and high frame rates. Sony new prototype 3D video camera uses frame rate 240 fps at 2×2 MP.”
and

“Sony knows that by eliminating the mirror, a superior system could be developed. Sony is in the forefront of display technology, unlike Conikon, so it can produce better EVF than the competition – a VF that will not go dark with the push of DOF preview button, or when it’s dark outside. It will also zoom and allow for easier manual focusing. Add OLCD’s. The OVF suddenly loses its strength. If Panasonic, Olympus, and Samsung are working on EVIL, so is Sony. Look at their past and you will understand. Also this is the only explanation for the gap between the 300 and the 900 series, as the 500 series is only an extension of the 300 series. The 850 is only an extension of the 900 series.

It is my belief that Sony will fill the gap between A550 and A850 with a superior EVIL system, maybe with 14 and 18 MP bodies, which will be, with an adapter, usable with A-mount lenses .

APSC will be phased out in time. Current FF will be expanded up and down.

If Sony planned to bring out A700 replacement, it would be here by now. The hole in product offering between FF and APSC has existed in Japan now for some time. This is not normal. Sony is dumping A700 even in India, where it has otherwise hardly any presence.

Sony created, from their A200-350 line, the two new lines, one is the 500 line. There is no 700 camera (line) replacement. The APSC lens offering is weak, although APSC is the Sony’s bread and butter.

Few FF’s are sold, but all new serious lens offerings are FF.

EVIL camera can have same or better resolution as FF, because of less diffraction. The lenses will be smaller. The cameras will be lighter and can be smaller.

EVIL will make APSC redundant. FF will still have an advantage in DOF control and sensitivity. You need to have it to demonstrate that you play with the big boys.

I see it as follows:

Now 2 lines:
230-550
850-900

later 3 lines:
100-550 (the 100 series will have no OVF)
EVIL 14 and 18 MP models to fill the gap between FF and APSC
800 – 1000

later 3 lines:
100-550
EVIL (2 series, 4 models)
800 – 1000

later 3 lines:
EVIL basic to full pro lines
EVIL 3D
FF “

Dave Oddie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,138

taz002dev wrote:

A thing that confirms first post is that a550 is called the top end APS-C Sony DSLR.

I have bought Photo Magazine in Romania for December and they have compared a550 with other brands like d300s, Canon 7d and I erally wondered why.

The reason stated by them is that it will remain the top end DSLR APS-C SOny DLSR.

Well if so all that proves is that magazine isn't very good. When the A100 came out it was the only Sony d-slr so by definition was the top of the range aps-c camera. No one was stupid enough to compare it to Nikon's top of the range aps-c cameras. It was quite rightly compared to cameras lower down the range of a similar price such as the Nikon D80.

That was obviously the only sensible thing to do and the magazine you mention would serve it's readers far better by simply stating Sony do not currently have a direct competitor to the Nikon D300s and Canon 7d in production. Which they don't.

No one should use such a crazy stance from a magazine to conclude there won't be an A700 replacement either.

Would you compare a Nikon D90 to a Canon 7D? No and neither would the magazine so they should be comparing the A550 to the D90 not a D300s and should not be using warped logic to include the A550 in a test.

Dave

Dave Oddie's gear list:Dave Oddie's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 11-18mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +5 more
Addictif

It's a good idea but ...

i don't see Nikon & Canon going that way in a near future.

Plus, other than Olympus and Panasonic ... i don't see a brang going strong on that belief.

I don't know but i don't think the time to "turn the table" has arrived yed.

I can be wrong of course all of us have different ideas.

-- hide signature --

Pedro Sombreireiro.

Light by Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream:

OP PierreChris Senior Member • Posts: 1,103
CES 2010: Sony press conference scheduled for January 6th

there a anouncement on january 6th.

We will have to wait, don't we, anyway it's about time Sony tell us something, what so ever, there keeping there silence much to long.

Addictif
Re: CES 2010: Sony press conference scheduled for January 6th

Feel free to search for a A7xx camera...

these are true equipment to be shown @ CES eheheheh
--
Pedro Sombreireiro.

Light by Metz 48 AF-1
Flickr photostream:

digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
I dont know whether to laugh or cry! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter!

You can put a dress on a pig, its still a pig!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Re: No A7xx replacement theorie !!!

I don't put much stock in the rumor mill, but being a hiker I find the EVIL technology very appealing. I could be tempted by such a camera, especially if it would accomodate my exisiting lenses - not sure how well a 70-300g would work on an EVIL though

I really like the light weight of the OLY, Pani EVILs. IQ seems acceptable. Seems like I read there is some "shutter" lag with these cameras, which I would dislike. I would miss the handling and control layout, and especially the OVF of the A700.

Still, the concept is appealing for walking around all day with a camera around your neck. Everytime I pick one up in a store, I think, wow, that would be nice to have on hike.

Geir Eivind Mork Senior Member • Posts: 1,680
Re: No A7xx replacement theorie !!!

EVIL will make APSC redundant. FF will still have an advantage in DOF control and sensitivity. You need to have it to demonstrate that you play with the big boys.

Your theory has a little but..

Right now, people invest in lenses - many even with the thought of going full frame in the future. With FF as an advanced amateur/pro option, and EVIL-APSC as a amateur-option, the EVIL-users are not very likely to upgrade when it means their EVIL-APSC-lenses will not work. (Just as someone with only aps-c lenses will most likely not consider FF today. Total cost of upgrade will be too much)
--
I want Sonys fullframe answer to the 5d mk2. Sensor live view and
video, hopefully with less mp than the 850/900.

Geir Eivind Mork's gear list:Geir Eivind Mork's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Gionni Dorelli Senior Member • Posts: 1,063
A950 before the canon 1DS4

Sony want to announce and introduce the 32mp FF camera before or at least not after Canon this time around.
That would make sense.

Even if those cameras do not sell in big numbers, still are the flagship of a brand.

MinoltaDrew Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: wat

Yes. At least note that it is (a) your speculation (b) someone else's speculation or (c) source of info.

MinoltaDrew Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: CES 2010: Sony press conference scheduled for January 6th

It's in the locked blue chest on the right side of the photo.

ck3
ck3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,925
It's an old fake -

that was originally posted on dyxum some months ago - with the poster later admitting that he made it all up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads