GF1 vs D700 Yosemite Smackdown!

Started Jan 2, 2010 | Discussions
dko22 Contributing Member • Posts: 923
Re: Great pictures for sure..

Anthias wrote:

looks like the d700 is metering correctly and the gf1 is not.

Could be. But surely, with liveview cameras we should be getting away from the concept that the camera is metering, especially with an EVF. I just move the G1 up and down using multiple metering to get an idea of the range within the image and then expose carefully so that clouds or other highlights are clearly visible but no more and then lock. May take a little time while you get used to how what appears in the EVF (or LCD if necessary) matches the finished product but once you get there, you should have perfect exposures virtually every time. You could also use spot metering, however, unless you really want to meter specifically for a small area, the more gradual transitions when using multiple seem to me to work the best.

To me, real liveview is the primary reason after weight for getting an m43 system in the first place as it makes it so much easier to control how the image will come out as you take it. Of course most DSLR's also have a sort of liveview but unless you have a tripod, you might as well forget actually trying to use it!

David

dko22's gear list:dko22's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Z6 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Irix 15mm F2.4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +2 more
zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,346
Re: GF1 vs D700 Yosemite Smackdown!

jus wanna say very good pics.

More than camera its the photographer here.

-- hide signature --

::> I could not learn to spell 'cos God always ate my homework.

Rens
Rens Senior Member • Posts: 1,807

A bit late finding this thread, but a good comparison and well presented.

I use D700 and GH1, carry the GH1 mostly for convenience but always use the D700 for best IQ I can get.

The D700 images are over-sharpened for my taste, makes them look artificial.
--
Rens

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic GX850 Canon EOS RP
Walsh_uk Contributing Member • Posts: 560

I have to say I like the images out of either, I'm interested in the image not comparing pixels etc.. Your images are wonderful.. The majesty of the peeks are stunning..

Thanks for posting.
--
Cheers Guy...
(originally joined 1999) Lost my password ..

Walsh_uk's gear list:Walsh_uk's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II
dickg1 Regular Member • Posts: 314
Re: GF1 + 20mm at f/11 and diffraction

Interesting observation on diffraction limiting, but I fear your remarks are not quite accurate;

Diffraction softening at any given aperture is directly related to the sensor size and consequently the distance from the rear element of the lens to the sensor surface (or film plane) - the smaller the sensor, the wider the aperture at which diffraction limiting sets in. Ever wonder why the smallest apertures available on compacts like the Canon G10/11 is only f8 and f7 on P&S cameras?

Consider the old 4x5 view cameras and medium format cameras, where f32/45 was eminently useable on the former and f22 on the latter.

When I was shooting full frame digital (Canon 5D) I had no problem with diffraction at f16 nor did I have a problem with f11 on my canon APS-C bodies.

After switching to m4/3 I have found that f8 is about as small as I can use before diffraction raises its ugly head. This isn't a problem because the APPARENT depth of field at f8 with m4/3 is about the same as f16 on a FF DSLR.

I hope this has been at least somewhat helpful

dickg1

dickg1's gear list:dickg1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
H Smith
H Smith Senior Member • Posts: 1,404

I Have a G1 , a GH1 and a D700. Other than high ISO and subject isolation advantages offered by the big sensored Nikon, for landscape work, the GH1 is nearly equivilent, and much more portable.
See my review: http://henrysmithscottage.wordpress.com/2010/05/15/the-gear-i-use/
BTW nice images!

Henry F. Smith Jr
Http: www.glensummitimage.com
Visit my blog at henrysmithscottage.wordpress.com

H Smith's gear list:H Smith's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
jagge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,149

I've done more and more comparison pixel peeping and even printing shots between a D700 and G1 and there simply are not the dramatic differences that are shown here --indeed in properly exposed images in reasonable light processed the same way, I am pretty sure that most people couldn't tell the difference.

Hey David

Thanks for that info. Alway super interesting to hear from someone working with both systems. Valuable info.

I am getting closer and closer to that G2 purchase ;0)

Best wishes

Jakob

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,481

I think I am having a monitor problem. I am seeing color banding in almost all of the clouds. Does anyone else see this?

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
andy mclean Senior Member • Posts: 1,353

jagge wrote:

I've done more and more comparison pixel peeping and even printing shots between a D700 and G1 and there simply are not the dramatic differences that are shown here --indeed in properly exposed images in reasonable light processed the same way, I am pretty sure that most people couldn't tell the difference.

Hey David

Thanks for that info. Alway super interesting to hear from someone working with both systems. Valuable info.

I am getting closer and closer to that G2 purchase ;0)

Best wishes

Jakob

I have a GF1/20mm and D700 - although not that Zeiss glass the OP has ;-(

There is little doubt that the D700's RAW files are more 'robust' when it comes to PPing, although that isn't to say that the GF1's are poor in the least. Just that the D700 is a DR machine.

I can accept the OP's finding's that the D700's output captures better shadows - but, the levels of sharpening being applied between the two camera's images are clerly very different. This means that the D700's micro-contrast is boosted relative to the GF1's in the images here - so i'm not so sure what conclusions can really be drawn save for the obvious; shadow detail is retained more effectively with the larger sensor and so more detail is there to be pulled up in the first place.

The d700's ouput is overly sharpened to my eye and contrast tweaks are such that the really punchy B&W has more blocked shadows than the GF1's. So while there may be appear to be more 'microcontrast' and 'tonality', really the apparent diffs a we are seeing are as much due to greater sharpening as inherent camera/lens properties.

That said - I respect what the OP has tried to do and agree with everyone else; the pictures are all great. It looks to me that the GF1 does very well indeed given that the extent of pping is different.

NeilJones
NeilJones Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455

tedolf wrote:

I think I am having a monitor problem. I am seeing color banding in almost all of the clouds. Does anyone else see this?

no banding here

-- hide signature --

'More mega-pixels does not mean better photos!'

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,481

Thanks, I supected I was having problems.

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads