GF1 Yosemite Gallery finished! - pics

Started Jan 1, 2010 | Discussions
Mountain Joe Senior Member • Posts: 1,451
GF1 Yosemite Gallery finished! - pics

Ok so I got home and processed my keepers - the whole gallery can be seen here: http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/p932588303/h6192d87#h6192d87 - the original shots I posted earlier are still there for comparison so please excuse the duplicates.

We stopped in Napa on the way back so there are a few shots from there as well.

I wasn't shooting the GF1 as my primary camera so I have a limited set of photos from this trip but I have to say that the GF1 did very well - the 20mm and 45mm primes are wonderful and you can't beat the portability.

Some of my favorites;

Sunrise at the tunnel view - 20mm @ f11, 1/160:

Same view point - El Capitan shrouded in fog with Half Dome in the background - 45mm @ f8, 1/1000 ISO 100:

View down the Merced near Curry Village - 20mm @ f4, 1/80, ISO 100:

El Capitan from the valley floor - 20mm @ f11, 1/100, ISO 100 - this one is pretty much straight out of the camera - just some NR and sharpening:

Ponderosas, Redwoods, and granite - from the valley floor - 20mm @ f4, 1/100, ISO 100

B&Ws included in the gallery.

Once I have my D700 photos processed I will post some comparisons as promised.

Thanks for looking
--
Joe
http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/
Chop wood, carry water...

plevyadophy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258
Re: GF1 Yosemite Gallery finished! - pics

Just had a look at your Zenfolio Yosemit gallery .................... absollutely beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

boyzo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,516
Re: Magnificent...

Joe ...
They look wonderful on my LCD beautiful composition in all ..

The reflections in the 3rd shot ... frame it

Happy New Year to you..

TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337

These look superb to me. Not sure what your D700 shots are going to do to top them except if you had different focal lengths available. It will be interesting to see the differences in dynamic range or micro contrast.
--
terry
http://tbanet.zenfolio.com/

Jen Ford Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
Wowie Zowie!

that's all I can say!
--
I never met a camera or a bicycle that I didn't like.

http://www.flickr.com/bikejen
http://www.pbase.com/bikejen

OP Mountain Joe Senior Member • Posts: 1,451

TEBnewyork wrote:

These look superb to me. Not sure what your D700 shots are going to do to top them except if you had different focal lengths available. It will be interesting to see the differences in dynamic range or micro contrast.

Thanks Terry - I am very happy with the GF1 results though most took some work to really get them where I wanted. The main difference with the D700 (apart from the obvious ISO advantage) is the amount of latitude I have with the RAW output from the D700 is simply incredible - maybe half a stop to a full stop a the high end but boy oh boy can you boost the shadows like you've never seen with the D700 (in 14 bit mode).

Many of these landscape shots were very challenging as there are trees in the fg in almost everyone and even with a 2-stop ND grad filter, most of the trees end up in deep shadow. On the GF1 I could barely boost them at all without getting a lot of noise whereas on the D700 I could make them as bright as daylight in many instances and still have them look reasonable. The D700 is remarkable - I really can't say enough about this camera - you can literally shoot in the dark with it - only downside is the size and weight (and lenses too).

Also IQ wise, the D700 tonality and micro contrast are superb imo - here are a couple of samples:

This one is shot with the Macro 105mm VR - I've kept the shadows dark as I wanted a moody look but I think the tonal range of the camera is apparent in this shot (though I just noticed some purple banding at the edges of the fog - must by happening in pp - will have to check on that).

This one with the Zeiss 50mm f1.4 - at f1.4 - this lens is really special - the tonality of this combination is amazing

Thanks again for the kind comments - I would love to get together with you and Godfrey if the chance arises - I'm not too far from either of you

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Joe

ajcgn Regular Member • Posts: 213

No original comment for me to add.
Very nice gallery.
--
Andrew, Toronto ON
(laziness, not necessity, is the mother of invention)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajcgn/sets/

TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337

A get together would be great. A little harder to plan in the rainy season but certainly we can figure something out. How far north of the city are you?

I had a D700 and it is a great camera. When I was getting ready to go to Iceland last summer I completely swapped systems and went for the Sony A900. So, I get Zeiss glass AND auto focus !!!

When I go on shooting trips I now take both the Sony and the m4/3 gear. All other times it seems like I'm just taking my m4/3.

-- hide signature --

TEBnewyork wrote:

A get together would be great. A little harder to plan in the rainy season but certainly we can figure something out. How far north of the city are you?

I'm actually south of the city in the Santa Cruz mountains - maybe come Spring time a get together is in order.

I had a D700 and it is a great camera. When I was getting ready to go to Iceland last summer I completely swapped systems and went for the Sony A900. So, I get Zeiss glass AND auto focus !!!

Definitely a plus - one of my first cameras was a Yashica and I always lusted after a Contax - always been a big fan of Zeiss glass

When I go on shooting trips I now take both the Sony and the m4/3 gear. All other times it seems like I'm just taking my m4/3.

One reason I brought the GF1 was to see if I would be happy if that was the only camera I had with me on such a trip - after seeing the results I would say yes - just have to be more careful with my exposures.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Joe

Re: Magnificent...

Thanks again John - Happy New Year to you!
--
Joe

plevyadophy wrote:

Just had a look at your Zenfolio Yosemit gallery .................... absollutely beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for looking and for the kind words.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Joe

Re: Wowie Zowie!

Thanks Jen - much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Joe

zlaoxie New Member • Posts: 5

Simply stunning my friend.
Would you share what settings you used for the camera and any post editing
you did to have the images stood out like that?

Andy

Andy I shoot RAW so I don't mess with too many camera settings - the main ones are listed with each photo. I usually keep my exposure at -1/3 EV but will change that depending on conditions - with some of these landscape shots I will over-expose in order to pick up the shadowed areas as mentioned but have to be careful to avoid clipping.

As to pp I use LR2.6 and Nik plugins - I'll try and retrace my steps on the ones posted above.

For the 1st photo - in LR I adjusted WB and levels - recovery set to 18, fill light set to 15 to bring up the dark trees in the fg; saturation slider set to 5 as I find the G1/GF1 color output a little flat (though very natural).

I set the NR and sharpening to zero in LR and use Nik Define first for NR - this tool allows selective NR so sometimes I will adjust specific areas if necessary (ie to keep detail where I want it) - in this case I just used the automatic setting.

Then I used Nik Color Efex Pro - Pro Contrast filter and adjusted contrast and color cast correction to my liking. I believe I also used Nik Viveza to selectively adjust brightness and contrast on the trees in order to bring them out more.

Lastly, I used Nik Sharpener Pro to sharpen to taste

The rest of them followed a similar flow however I used the Tonal Contrast filter in Color Efex on the second and last photo instead of the Pro Contrast filter.

The fourth one was as stated - pretty just levels, WB, and sharpening.

The Tonal Contrast filter is great - it allows you to selectively adjust shadow, mid-tne, and highlight contrast - it works best for landscapes but you have to use it in moderation

For the B&W versions I use Nik Silver Efex Pro but first in LR I set contrast to 0 and tone curve to linear (this gives maximum range of adjustment in Silver Efex). I also boost the saturation to 25-30 or thereabouts (this helps bring out the tones in the B&W conversion). In Silver Efex I will use a number of options to get the look I am after but generally first set structure and contrast and then adjust the tone curve. Then I will sometimes apply a film option and/or color filter - and finally finish with some fine tuning of the grain and tone curve (again) if necessary.

You can download demo versions of the Nik tools - I believe they are good for 15 days if you want to try them out.

Thanks for looking.

-- hide signature --

Joe

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915

Thanks for sharing! Simply superb! Yosemite is a magical place, and you have captured the essence of what it looks and feels like there.

I have not used Nik Silver Efex. It seems like there is much more control of the tones for B&W conversions. I use LR 2.6. What does Nik SilverEfex add that LR lacks?

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer
Panasonic G1

BobYIL Contributing Member • Posts: 940

Excellent pictures, excellent examples of what the GF1 delivers in capable hands... Now looking forward to compare them with those from the D700. BTW, you definitely need the oncoming 14/2.8, primes do have some undeniable advantages.

Kind regards,

Bob
--
BobYIL

SLOtographer wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Simply superb! Yosemite is a magical place, and you have captured the essence of what it looks and feels like there.

Thanks - we were very lucky to have cooperative weather

I have not used Nik Silver Efex. It seems like there is much more control of the tones for B&W conversions. I use LR 2.6. What does Nik SilverEfex add that LR lacks?

The main advantage of Silver Efex are the presets and all the film emulation modes - you can simply call up a variety of B&W films and see the effect instantly. You can also tweak everything (even after applying a film preset) including grain size and 'hardness'. There are color filters and you can also apply different tones like Sepia or copper (there are several). Lastly you can use their u-points to selectively set brightness, contrast, and structure to any given area in your photo.

In the end you could probably do everything it does in LR but it would take more time and effort (at least for me). If you know exactly what look you want and you have built some presets in LR, that may be enough for you but if you like to experiment and see many different options very at the click of the mouse, then Silver Efex is great.

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer
Panasonic G1

-- hide signature --

Joe

BobYIL wrote:

Excellent pictures, excellent examples of what the GF1 delivers in capable hands... Now looking forward to compare them with those from the D700. BTW, you definitely need the oncoming 14/2.8, primes do have some undeniable advantages.

Thanks Bob - I agree, if the 14mm f2.8 is even nearly as good as the 20mm f1.7 then it is a must for me

Kind regards,

Bob
--
BobYIL

-- hide signature --

Joe

Steven Wandy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,414
Beautiful Shots

Hi Joe - we made our first visit to Yosemite this past September and could not believe how breathtaking it was. Your shots show off the beauty of the area.

I love the "tunnel view" shot - mine is pretty similar (of course aside from the snow that causes that great contrast against the colors of the mountains and trees).
Well done,
Steve

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +6 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915

Mountain Joe wrote:

SLOtographer wrote:

Thanks - we were very lucky to have cooperative weather

The main advantage of Silver Efex are the presets and all the film emulation modes - you can simply call up a variety of B&W films and see the effect instantly. You can also tweak everything (even after applying a film preset) including grain size and 'hardness'. There are color filters and you can also apply different tones like Sepia or copper (there are several). Lastly you can use their u-points to selectively set brightness, contrast, and structure to any given area in your photo.

In the end you could probably do everything it does in LR but it would take more time and effort (at least for me). If you know exactly what look you want and you have built some presets in LR, that may be enough for you but if you like to experiment and see many different options very at the click of the mouse, then Silver Efex is great.

Thanks Joe! Seems like it speeds up things and lets you experiment quickly and easily. I'll take a look at the trial and play around.
--
SLOtographer
Panasonic G1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads