panasonic gf1 vs canon 5d

Started Dec 31, 2009 | Discussions
lorin niculae Contributing Member • Posts: 971
panasonic gf1 vs canon 5d

Hello, I just bought a gf1 as a small carry around camera when the 5D seems too heavy/ bulky.

For everybody interested, here are my first impressions about the gf1 and a non scientific non exhaustive comparison between the two cameras.
http://www.pbase.com/lorin/panasonic_gf1_vs_canon_5d

Feedback and comments appreciated,
Happy new year!

Lorin

PS the comparisons are out of camera jpeg only. I'm not very interested in raw.
PS this is a cross post with the panasonic forum.

Dylthedog Contributing Member • Posts: 859
Re: panasonic gf1 vs canon 5d

I did the same thing but went Olympus E-P1, sooo glad I did. I've taken it way more places than I would have considered taking the 5D.

I reckon it beats my old 350D in image quality terms though despite being smaller it's still just as heavy as the 350D, but better built.

Still adding to my Canon kit though, just bought the 100mm 2.8 Macro

Dylthedog's gear list:Dylthedog's gear list
Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +8 more
BRUCEK56 Contributing Member • Posts: 858

Hi,

I agree with your review completely. I did want to mention I also have the Panasonic 14-140 (28-280 35mm equiv.) in addition to the 20mm 1.7. It focuses silently like Canon usm lenses because it was specifically built to be used with video (especially the GH1).

I am amazed how sharp this lens is even at 280mm. I know it is a relatively large lens for the GF1 but compare it to my 1D Mark lll with 24-105 and 70-200 f4 IS I would have to carry to cover the same focal lengths! Of course it is not a replacement for the big gear but it compliments it superbly.

I did want to ask you specifically what settings you use for the jpeg's. I believe your review only mentions using -2 for sharpening. Thanks! Bruce
--
BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon PowerShot G7 X Leica Q Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II +5 more
neroangelo Contributing Member • Posts: 841

I totally agree. I have captured many shots that I would have missed as I wouldn't have my larger cameras with me.

I prefer the grain from the GF1 at 1600ISO more than the 40d. So much so that I sold the 40d.

The 45-200 is fast and near silent.

One bad point I would like to add when using the 20mm f1.7 is that it defaults to f1.7 which causes shutter lag if you want to stop down. I hope a firmware update will solve this along with full manual control of focus in video.

lorin niculae wrote:

Hello, I just bought a gf1 as a small carry around camera when the 5D seems too heavy/ bulky.

For everybody interested, here are my first impressions about the gf1 and a non scientific non exhaustive comparison between the two cameras.
http://www.pbase.com/lorin/panasonic_gf1_vs_canon_5d

Feedback and comments appreciated,
Happy new year!

Lorin

PS the comparisons are out of camera jpeg only. I'm not very interested in raw.
PS this is a cross post with the panasonic forum.

-- hide signature --

Slainte (cheers)

You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. :- Samuel Langhorne Clemens

dimi3 Forum Member • Posts: 57

Thanks for the comparision.

I sometimes take my LX3 instead of the 5D, and have wondered what the GF might offer, and it looks good!

BRUCEK56 Contributing Member • Posts: 858

Hi,

I have the Lumix LX3 in addition to the GF1. I actually bought the GF1 because there was too big a gap in quality between LX3 and my 1D Mark lll.

The LX3 is a nice little camera and arguably the best compact out there but it is still a compact!

The GF1 is miles ahead of the LX3 in quality from iso 200 up. Also the GF1's iso 1600 is better than the LX3 at iso 400. As stated previously the GF1 will NEVER replace my big gear but it is a perfect compliment to it.
--
BRUCEK56

BRUCEK56's gear list:BRUCEK56's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon PowerShot G7 X Leica Q Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II +5 more
OP lorin niculae Contributing Member • Posts: 971
you're right

I noticed that and I thought it's just me. You're absolutely right and this is obviously a thing to be addressed by the 1.2 firmware.
Thank you,
Lorin

the 350d looks a toy compared with the gf1. The built quality of the pany is just amazing, except for the little left door which can be left open, it does not affect the functioning of the camera in any way.

Best regards,
Lorin

Hi Bruce,
Thank you for mentioning the silent design lens!

The settings of the jpegs posted are:
-contrast 0
-sharpness -2
-saturation -0
-noise reduction 0

I will increase saturation to test what happens because the color comes out just a bit desaturated to my taste, but not hue shifted as some reviewers reported.

All the best,
lorin

WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,240

Interesting post, though your DOF comparisons do not have the same focal point. The GF1 is focused on the word "Canon" on the calculator, and the 5D is focused on the bottle.

I've tested the EP1 and the 5D. The DOF is much more like 2 stops (so the 1.7 is more equivalent to 3.5 than 2.2) in terms of effect on DOF/background blur. Try shooting both cameras at the long end at a subject that is further away from it's background and you'll see a great difference.

The differences in DOF can also be seen in your book shelf shots for high ISO, where the shelf is OOF on the 5D, but nearly in focus on the GF1.

Enjoy the new camera!

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +3 more
pixee Regular Member • Posts: 410

I agree with you concerning the cameras 5d, 1DMarkIII and Pan dmc GF1. Panasonic DMC GF1 is a great compact camera which I use with 1D MarkIII. I also use for ex. the lenses 20mm f1.7 and canon 35mm L 1.4. With Pan I also use Olympus M Zuiko 14-42.

Jpeg from Pan is very good, but I have found that best results can be obtained with Raw using the new Phase One 5.1 or Bibble pro 5 (was released yesterday). Noise Ninja included in Bibble pro 5 is very usable with GF1 raw-files. Also Lightroom 2.6 supports GF1 -raw.

Postprocessing with GF1-files is not as easy than with 5D or 1DMark III -files. Pixel-size is little and the sensor of GF1 is 2,2 times smaller than in 1DMarkIII and 3,5 times smaller than in 5D, so the noise is visible much earlier than with Canons and the border sharpness is not epecially good because of automatic distortion correction of the camera.

But all in all a great camera, which I like to use a lot with ISO 100-400.

thank you very much for the comment. You are right about the focus distance and dof. I updated the review and I will post images shot from a bigger distance.

All the best,
lorin

thomas2279 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,876

Thanks for the review and sharing your thoughts.

Canon & Nikon certainly have missed a trick with this corner of the market and I hope Panasonic and Olympus do well on this.

Could be an ideal travel camera small and copmact but still delivers the goods and not bad HD Video - wished it was 1080p of course but 720p is not bad
--

My Pictures & Web Site: http://www.dltp.co.uk

thank you for the information about raw editing software. Indeed, the jpegs from the 5D were having a broad margin to edit, much larger that that ones from the pany. On the other hand, not all images need much editing and for those many photos of details with uniform lightning, the direct output is fine.

Happy new year!
Lorin

PhillipA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,505

thomas2279 wrote:

Thanks for the review and sharing your thoughts.

Canon & Nikon certainly have missed a trick with this corner of the market and I hope Panasonic and Olympus do well on this.

Could be an ideal travel camera small and copmact but still delivers the goods and not bad HD Video - wished it was 1080p of course but 720p is not bad

The Panasonic GH1 does 1080P and leaves any DSLR for dead as far as video goes. The 14-140 kit lens is designed for video with fast silent A/F and stepless aperture. It will autofocus in video as fast as most videocameras and I can keep track of my 2 year-old grand-daughter's wild ramblings with no trouble. I has a 500D for a little while and the video of anything moving towards or away from you was hopeless.
GH1 compared to 1DIII

-- hide signature --

Judge: ' This image may be better in black and white - perhaps even just black! '

Thank you for the comment. Indeed, Canon and Nikon have missed this area but, the one who is really hurted is the Leica, imo. Canon and Nikon were slr experts anyway (if we forget that, at the beginings, they were leica copies as well).

The first thing I'll do is to buy myself a m 4.3-M adaptor and use the 40mm f2 summicron c on the pany.

Besides, the beauty of m 4/3 is that it can use the beautiful, splendid optics of minolta md and canon fd! Can't wait to see the adaptors on the market.

Somehow, the m 4/3 is a restitution act the world of photography was waiting for!

All the best,
Lorin

pixee Regular Member • Posts: 410

concerning 4/3 adapters you can find them already in ebay. I bought an Carl Zeiss Contax adapter for micro 4/3 (OlympusPen/ Panasonic) bodies in e bay from Germany. Now I can use the same Zeiss lenses both with Canon 1 D mark III and Panasonic. Micro 4/3 adapters do not have af confirmation ship, but the life view with manual focus works fine.

I have used my Zeiss S-Macro Planar 60mm lens with Panasonic and it really works well! Also 85mm f 2.8 Sonnar, 45mm pancake Tessar (weight only 90 gr.) are great!

There are also adapters for the lenses of Leica R and M, Olympus Om, Pentax, M42, etc. etc. Almost everythig can be used with suitable adapter.

fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 17,245
Just don't shoot stills of anything that moves.

Don't overlook the G1, with articulated screen and EVF.

-- hide signature --

Frank
http://www.sidewalkshadows.com

ego sum via et veritas et vita

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 +19 more
georgec Regular Member • Posts: 478

Thanks for the report. I learned a couple of things new from your report
(1) jpeg can be adjusted better with settings

(2) the speed can be slower since it does not have the mirror part and less vibration

For me gf1 is the most exciting camera in the past couple of years. I have a 5DII to play with for now and I am looking forward to get a gf1 or its successor before the next major vacation.

georgec's gear list:georgec's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
yes, and

it's a very reliable photographic tool,, with excellent image quality. It burns highlights more than the 5D but that's why it has exposure compensation. A good camera to complement the 5D, imo and very funny to use.

Regards,
Lorin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads