K-x FW silent update?

Started Dec 30, 2009 | Discussions
opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,121
K-x FW silent update?

for those interested, there seems to be a new firmware for the K-x.
for those not interested, move along. nothing to read

i downloaded the version 1.01 from pentax jp on 12/5/2009 and the MD5 checksum is the same as the current 1.01 fw from pentax.usa and pentax canada

the EXIF for the current USA firmware from photome is 1.01.00.05

the EXIF for the CURRENT JAPAN firmware from photome is 1.01.00.07

doing a compare on both binaries yielded about 1.5mb of differences.

i've posted this difference in a different thread

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=34096511

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

GordonBGood Veteran Member • Posts: 6,306
Re: K-x FW silent update?

opiecat wrote:

i downloaded the version 1.01 from pentax jp on 12/5/2009 and the MD5 checksum is the same as the current 1.01 fw from pentax.usa and pentax canada

Good catch and thanks. I wonder if this silent update does anything to fix reported SR problems as reported on another thread at the following link:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=34086647&page=1

in a similar way to how the latest silent update to firmware 1.02 for the K-7 has seemingly fixed SR problems for the K-7. If so, I wonder of using this new firmware would make the K-x test better as to SR performance in the DPR reviewer's hand (singular or plural )! Thread related to the K-7 silent firmware update is at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=34049743&page=1

Regards, GordonBGood

opiecat OP Senior Member • Posts: 2,121

hi, gordon,

i hope so too as quite a few threads are popping up about softness and blur issues.

a few folks, myself included, seem to have a more difficult time getting that sharp shot (shutter is fast enough, focus was right, etc) as compared to other cameras (my former Km and XYL's k200).

the difference between the old and new fw is notable. 1,655,017 (about 1.5MB) bytes.

that must mean something good!

regards,

jordan

-- hide signature --

-- master yoda

Alex Contributing Member • Posts: 725

opiecat wrote:

hi, gordon,

i hope so too as quite a few threads are popping up about softness and blur issues.

a few folks, myself included, seem to have a more difficult time getting that sharp shot (shutter is fast enough, focus was right, etc) as compared to other cameras (my former Km and XYL's k200).

the difference between the old and new fw is notable. 1,655,017 (about 1.5MB) bytes.

regards,

jordan

I was also getting softer images from K-x than I was from K2000 I tried in the past. Then I figured out that default sharpening level is way lower in K-x than K2000. After I moved sharpening slider few notches to the right I started to get same sharp pictures from K-x as well. So all is in your hands

I am using 1.01 US version firmware.

Alex wrote:

opiecat wrote:

hi, gordon,

regards,

jordan

I was also getting softer images from K-x than I was from K2000 I tried in the past. Then I figured out that default sharpening level is way lower in K-x than K2000. After I moved sharpening slider few notches to the right I started to get same sharp pictures from K-x as well. So all is in your hands

I am using 1.01 US version firmware.

alex,

that could have something to do with it, but the other reported issue is SR possibly causing blur. something similar to the K-7 which according to some users, the latest silent fw fixed.

so we're hoping that this silent fw for the Kx fixes this issue as well, if indeed it was an issue.

regards,

jordan

-- hide signature --

-- master yoda

it appears the latest KX FW from usa has now been updated to reflect the version from japan.

they now have the same checksum

MD5: 2c5376d258e834d0c1d445a2d8c34efc

-- hide signature --

-- master yoda

Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 4,641

What do you suggest? Should we update FW one more time?

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1
Bullwhip Regular Member • Posts: 263

So is jp and eng ver the same now (both 1.01.00.07)?

XavierP56 Contributing Member • Posts: 928

Have you updated to the Japan firmware ? Does it still work ? Any improvements ?

Thanks.

Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462

I believe that when Pentax starts work on a new firmware, they have plan - a list with issues they are fixing and things they improve.

When they have fixed one issue, but the whole new firmware version is not completed yet, they issue a "silent update".

Then, when the whole new firmware is completed with the fixing-list gone through, they release the final version of the new firmware, which includes previous updates.

-- hide signature --

Updated to Japan firmware was OK.

Bullwhip Regular Member • Posts: 263

Had eng 05 and updated to jp 07. Didn't notice any difference, but then again not sure what to look for. No noticable change in sr performance, but then again, never had a problem with it in the first place.

fskhoo Regular Member • Posts: 250
Thanks opiecat.

opiecat wrote:

Encouraged by your and GordonBgood's discovery and I updated to fw 1.01.00.07 and it does make a huge different to solve the blur pictures issue with my K-x.

K-x ,14f2.8,Tamron 18-250,35f2.Panasonic LC1,DMC-L1,Nikon FE2/50f1.4,Olympus C5060.

Dylandw Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Thanks opiecat.

Just curious if you have already uploaded the 1.01 version and now you update one more time. Any potential problem with that?

I did this. It worked.

SamTruax Senior Member • Posts: 1,762

How can I tell if the Pentax Canada website has the newest firmware version?
Should I just use the Pentax USA sites version?

Thanks
--
Sam

'Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it... albeit probably in colour the second time around.'

SamTruax's gear list:SamTruax's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 +4 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 36,569

you have to download, install, take a picture, put the picture on the computer and use a program like photome to check the firmware version saved in the exif
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Dylandw wrote:

Just curious if you have already uploaded the 1.01 version and now you update one more time. Any potential problem with that?

No problem at all. The newer version just overide the older/previous version.
--

K-x ,14f2.8,Tamron 18-250,35f2.Panasonic LC1,DMC-L1,Nikon FE2/50f1.4,Olympus C5060.

SamTruax

SamTruax wrote:

How can I tell if the Pentax Canada website has the newest firmware version?
Should I just use the Pentax USA sites version?

Thanks

I learn that US has the latest version also, but you can download from japan website here: http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-x_s.html
--

K10D,14f2.8,Tamron 18-250,35f2.Panasonic LC1,DMC-L1,Nikon FE2/50f1.4,Olympus C5060.

Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,468
Demo of 1.01.05 v. 1.01.07

GordonBGood wrote:

Good catch and thanks. I wonder if this silent update does anything to fix reported SR problems as reported on another thread at the following link:

According to my test, it does make a significant difference and certainly in normal picture taking I have had no issues since upgrading to 07.

Test consists of: DA70 lens, SR on, camera mounted on tripod. Five images with firmware 05 (top row), five images with firmware 07 (bottom row).

Note the horizontal lines are somewhat blurred compared with the vertical lines in the top row, indicating camera-induced motion blur with the 05 firmware. This all but disappears in 07. (To see the effect, you'll need to expand the image to 100% in this message).

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads