G11 Focus Poin

Started Dec 28, 2009 | Discussions
rbull44 Senior Member • Posts: 2,536
G11 Focus Poin

I recently purchased a new G11, and notice that when using just the viewfinder with the LCD closed I do not see any focus box. Does anyone know what the camera focuses on, or is there anyway to display a focus box through the viewfinder? There is one if I flip the LCD around. As a rule, I prefer to hold the camera at eye level. I called Canon, and they couldn't find an answer.
Thanks
--
Bob

vincent filomena
vincent filomena Veteran Member • Posts: 5,106
Re: G11 Focus Poin

Use Quick Shot Mode: Look up in Manual;
the focus will be in the middle, unless there is a face;
if there's a face it MAY focus on face instead;
you can focus out of center,by, moving center,half push shutter,
lock, return to original view, click.
Except for FULL AUTO, try each mode;
you will be able to have focus in Middle of screen;
BUT - NOTHING will appear in the View Finder !
PRACTICE - SEE WHAT HAPPENS !

VJIM

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
joharis Regular Member • Posts: 419

rbull44 wrote:

I recently purchased a new G11, and notice that when using just the viewfinder with the LCD closed I do not see any focus box. Does anyone know what the camera focuses on, or is there anyway to display a focus box through the viewfinder? There is one if I flip the LCD around. As a rule, I prefer to hold the camera at eye level. I called Canon, and they couldn't find an answer.
Thanks
--
Bob

There is a little green light next to the viewfinder to confirm that focus is achieved but there is never any information in the viewfinder itself.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joharis/

joharis's gear list:joharis's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Nick Harman New Member • Posts: 18

The viewfinder is not useful. I dont really know why canon bothered. They could have left it off and given us back the G10s build quality with the money they saved.

Far better to compose on screen, it gives you a better idea of what the picture will look like as a print, the eye can take it all in. With a viewfinder on even an SLR, the eye is hunting all around and unable to make a decision easily.

With the G11 its like using an old plate camera - lovely!

Susan S. Senior Member • Posts: 2,058

Much to my surprise I recently found myself using the viewfinder fairly successfully. But it is really only useful in limited circumstances when the following conditions are combined:

1. When using a relatively small aperture and landscape type subjects so that the actual point of focus is less critical

2. When totally accurate framing isn't critical (while the lens does obscure the viewfinder slightly at some focal lengths it isn't too bad and you have to bear in mind the coverage of the viewfinder is a good deal less than 100 per cent of the shot

3. When visibility of the lcd screen is reduced eg by very bright sunlight (while the lcd is good and the fact that it can be tilted to reduce glare helps it isn't brilliant with lots of glare such as with sun off sand or snow or water); or by the photographer having mislaid her reading glasses, in which case the diopter adjustment on the view finder helps her to see the image when otherwise the camera would be unusable as the screen is just too blurry without glasses...
--
Some of the least worse of my photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/susans/

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,253

Nick Harman wrote:

The viewfinder is not useful. I dont really know why canon bothered. They could have left it off and given us back the G10s build quality with the money they saved.

I think you meant to say that you don't use it - or perhaps you don't know how to use it. It is very useful for those of us who know how to use it and prefer it.

With a viewfinder on even an SLR, the eye is hunting all around and unable to make a decision easily.

What are you talking about?

-- hide signature --

Larry G.
http://www.pbase.com/fernley

Hey, it ain't rocket surgery.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +4 more
OP rbull44 Senior Member • Posts: 2,536

Thank you for all of your responses. I am a very active Nikon DSLR shooter, and wanted a really first class small camera. I really am impressed with the camera, but very disappointed in the optical viewfinder. In speaking with a Canon rep yesterday, I was told that he had received several complaints about the lack of a viewfinder focus target. Other than that one issue, I am really looking forward to carrying this with me. Thanks again
--
Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads