K-x malfunction, any similar experience?

Started Dec 28, 2009 | Discussions
YunZY Regular Member • Posts: 276
K-x malfunction, any similar experience?

Ever since I got my K-x, it's constantly producing unsharp images at low shutter speed. Today, I finally decided to do some analysis with my xxx algorithm. After some comparisons I finally found my K-x is faulty.

The problem seems to be related to the mirror box. The image will be more blurry using the viewfinder than using the liveview mode in every mode, even with SR turned off. Thus my conclusion is the fluttering of the mirror box seems to have affected the CMOS when using the viewfinder.

Here are some 100% crops of the blurry images. I took 7 photos of the same scene at shutter speed 1/100s -1/125s with the viewfinder, unfortunately none is clear.

And here are the corresponding blurry path:

The point is: if the image is simply mis focused, the blurry path, or kernel will be like the shape of the aperture, it sure isn't the case here....

EXIF:

Anyone knows how the repair will be like?

Oleg_V Contributing Member • Posts: 627
Re: K-x malfunction, any similar experience?

Would be very interesting to repeat the experiment with the camera on the tripod.

OP YunZY Regular Member • Posts: 276

Oleg_V wrote:

Would be very interesting to repeat the experiment with the camera on the tripod.

I've tried some similar experiments, the fact is I couldn't hope to use the viewfinder at slow shutter speed.

Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,758

YunZY wrote:

Ever since I got my K-x, it's constantly producing unsharp images at low shutter speed. Today, I finally decided to do some analysis with my xxx algorithm. After some comparisons I finally found my K-x is faulty.

The problem seems to be related to the mirror box. The image will be more blurry using the viewfinder than using the liveview mode in every mode, even with SR turned off. Thus my conclusion is the fluttering of the mirror box seems to have affected the CMOS when using the viewfinder.

I experienced something like this shortly after getting my K-x.

It looks like camera shake even though the shutter speeds were high enough and the stabilizer had plenty of time to settle the image.

Two other people - one connected with Pentax, examined my photos and verified the conclusion.

I reset my camera back to factory settings and, so far, have not had the problem since.

Allan

waterland Regular Member • Posts: 178

My K-x seems to have the same problem. Even with SR off and OS on (Sigma 18-250) pictures that should have been sharp are not. By the way, exif shows a Sigma 70-200 EX HSM II. Could that be part of the problem?
Also my lithiums drain very fast (

-- hide signature --

Sony A 200, Sigma 10-20 EX, CZ 16-80, Minolta 100-300 APO D, Sigma SD14, Sigma 50 f1.4 EX, Sigma 105 f2.8 EX, Sigma 30 f1.4 EX, Sigma DP1, Fuji F200

waterland's gear list:waterland's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D90 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 +15 more

I experienced something like this shortly after getting my K-x.

It looks like camera shake even though the shutter speeds were high enough and the stabilizer had plenty of time to settle the image.

Exactly the case!

Two other people - one connected with Pentax, examined my photos and verified the conclusion.

Then it might not be something too rare...

I reset my camera back to factory settings and, so far, have not had the problem since.

That's very interesting, I think you really are lucky, I've just tried but the problrem remains.

Thank you for sharing such valuable experience.

waterland wrote:

My K-x seems to have the same problem. Even with SR off and OS on (Sigma 18-250) pictures that should have been sharp are not. By the way, exif shows a Sigma 70-200 EX HSM II. Could that be part of the problem?
Also my lithiums drain very fast (

Seems our K-x are quite similar, my eneloop drains after around 300 photos:-(

What will be the fake for my 20-day old k-x?

mike703 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,708

Have you been using live-view? Apparently that eats batteries really fast.
Best wishes
--
Mike

mike703 wrote:

Have you been using live-view? Apparently that eats batteries really fast.
Best wishes
--
Mike

I think I have used but not quite much

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,534

I'm one of the verifiers not connected to Pentax... yes clearly something went wrong by no fault of the photographer... however all seems to be working after a reset and lets hope we don't encounter this again
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

do you mind sending/posting a full size unedited version of one of the photos (first of the set) so that i can examine it
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Never mind that last post, possible solution though

Allan had mentioned that resetting the camera to defaults worked but he also told me that it didn't reset everything, I talked with my friend at Pentax who has mentioned this issue to someone who deals with repairs of Pentax products, this person has not seen this issue come across his desk yet, but this is Canada... anyhow back to the solution... there are 2 resets... one for the custom menu and one for the rest of the settings in the camera, try resetting both! thats what i was told to suggest to you.
--
Mike from Canada

Re: Never mind that last post, possible solution though

MightyMike wrote:

Allan had mentioned that resetting the camera to defaults worked but he also told me that it didn't reset everything, I talked with my friend at Pentax who has mentioned this issue to someone who deals with repairs of Pentax products, this person has not seen this issue come across his desk yet, but this is Canada... anyhow back to the solution... there are 2 resets... one for the custom menu and one for the rest of the settings in the camera, try resetting both! thats what i was told to suggest to you.

Tons of thanks to you. I did fail to reset the camera settings, after following your suggestion the problem seem to be mitigated, however I still cannot confirm that it's gone.
here's my picasa album,
http://picasaweb.google.com/yechengxi/BlurryImages#
I think under some settings we'll come up with the problem.

I think all of us could try on some similar experiments, maybe we could hope for a firmware update to improve the SR, if the problem exists.

Some of this set of photos are focused with the long end of the lens and then I zoom to the wide end and wait and press the button. The problem would never appear on my previous cameras.

I don't know if there's a possibility that k-x would over rectify the blur.

brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337

Perhaps you need the "secret" firmware 1.02.00.16 release.
See this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=34049743

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Ron ~ Retired.

Alex Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Been fighting with this issue over holidays

Almost decided to send it back to Amazon, but at $460 for kit it was steal.

Will follow this thread now.

Re: Never mind that last post, possible solution though

Now i wish i asked you to write down the settings before resetting so we could explore what our differences are as the problem hasn't come to me yet
--
Mike from Canada

Re: Been fighting with this issue over holidays

Please post a listing of your camera settings and custom settings for when the issue occurs... i will compare with mine and we may find a difference that will explain this issue...

of course after you do reset both settings and see if that helps
--
Mike from Canada

I've pinned down my problem:

My K-x will suffer from this problem when taking photos vertically, the problem will be less significant otherwise. Strange!

Alex Contributing Member • Posts: 725

I have done complete factory reset using service menu but that did not seem to help. I see familiar shake pattern, although not as well pronounced as OPs. Does not seem to happen in LV mode. This needs some more investigation.

First blamed lens but it appears at aperture 8, 11. I blamed NR, but it appears at ISO 100, 200, 400. Finally I blamed shaking hands because of hangover but it keeps happened at 1/250.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads