Samsung NX10, final images...!!!

Started Dec 20, 2009 | Discussions
DVT80111 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,598
Do Samsung make their own photo sensor?

Otherwise it is like someone show up late to the DSLR party.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T30
nofumble Senior Member • Posts: 2,127
Welcome to the Internet

The world Biggest and Fastest Copy Machine

Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,128
Re: Samsung NX10, final images...!!!

godfrog wrote:

They should have gone for a super-compact LCD-only (optional EVF) camera for the first model. That market segment caters to both "sunday-snappers" who wants their snaps to print okay at ISO6400, as well as advanced photographers who are looking for a smaller alternative to their Nikon D3 or whatever. The lack of lenses/accessories is lesser problem, just look at GF1/E-P1, how many buy those cameras to use them with anything else than a pancake prime or the kit zoom?

To my knowledge G1, GH1, GF1 appeal to the Leica users quite a bit as there is good adapter offer by Panasonic (probably fits E-P1 too but why not go for the package). Other than that screen only is not good in day light. Viewfinder thorugh electronic remains useful under harshest light conditions. It also seem s Olympus E-P2 was able to deal with the frame rate and resolution issues in low light so the viewfinder remains useful.

IMHO to attract DSLR or any advanced users viewfinder is a must have - Olympus figured this in very short period and we hav E-P2 now - I am planing on getting one too.

I do agree viewfinder now that it is electronic can and probably should be placed differently like range finder and avoid the bump. Range finder design also avoids the problem of your nose smearing the screen.

I like the NX10. Ma be I need to wait and compare with E-P2. Though I doubt Samsung can beat Olympus. Perhaps Sony will in the spring.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7R III
nsandersen Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: humps

I know what you mean, but I think the grip looks OK as it is, so it would still make it larger without any advantage to me, I can call it packageability, perhaps .

I think it looks quite sleek as it is, certainly not ugly. Still academical though, I do not want to pay for IS in every lens, let alone have the extra moving parts in them, if avoidable.

Perhaps I am being ignorant, but I don't get it, as the advantage of lens IS stabilizing the viewfinder view trumpeted by Canon and Nikon does not apply here.

Is it so close to bursting the envelope that it can't be fitted in without increasing the camera size or is it simply a revenue consideration?

willbfree Forum Member • Posts: 71

I think it's shape ("bubble"-esque curves, as you say) are beautiful. You have to appreciate how small this camera is to really get a sense of it -- and these leaked pics lack any reference point, and they're crummy pics to boot.

Personally, I am hoping the version shown earlier at various trade shows, with the silvery-black finish with the black grip, will be available. They'd also shown off a red version. The version in the leaked pic might be a final version of the black body version, but it has fewer blue ink accents than the show models (there's no blue ink around the chrome NX on the front corner) so I'm skeptical that it even represents the finished ink applications. It's probably the final shape, the final mold, but not the final color scheme.

willbfree's gear list:willbfree's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2

I feel the same. The hump with the built-in flash is fine, since the way DSLR's hide a fill-flash in their hump is one of their best features. It's not that big a hump on this camera anyway. Better this than a flash in the corner.

Olympus PEN E-PL2
Art Vandelay II Regular Member • Posts: 394

Built in flashes are worthless. They take up space that should be used for other things or be left out all together. The only useful purpose I have for one is to trigger off camera strobes. However, companies should start putting built in RF triggers into their bodies instead of dinky flashes. Camera makers really need to let go of the old way of doing things with these new mirrorless cameras. I'd love to have a RF wireless system BUILT IN to to the camera. Someone needs to create a touch screen OS that is as easy to use as the iPhone that allows you to control off camera strobes by using the 3" LCD on the back of the camera. That should be built in and a tiny hot-shoe flash could be sold as an accessory for those people that must have one for reasons I'll never understand.

If one of these companies makes such a camera and also manages to get rid of the mechanical shutter so that sync speeds can go up to 1/2000th or higher then they'll get the attention of every strobist on the planet...and there are a lot of us now:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/

Art Vandelay II's gear list:Art Vandelay II's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
hwalker Contributing Member • Posts: 961
Re: ugly but promising

30mm f/2 is an excellent choice for a APS-C pancake. If they can manage the image processing fine(and they most likely will) the camera should be a serious contender given Samsung's tendency to battle on the pricing side. At the least it would put pressure on Oly and Pana to lower their prices.

kalamarios wrote:

Rriley wrote:

christ that looks fugly....

My sentiments exactly!

ogremage Contributing Member • Posts: 959

Art Vandelay II wrote:

Built in flashes are worthless.

Agreed, a complete waste of space and weight.

ogremage's gear list:ogremage's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

ogremage wrote:

Art Vandelay II wrote:

Built in flashes are worthless.

Agreed, a complete waste of space and weight.

Disagree..

On some cameras it can act as a wireless flash trigger (most useful)

for closer range shots, it can be useful, and for daylight fill in shots.
A built in flash is far from useless, to many people.

Leites Regular Member • Posts: 328

It's a shame Samsung NX10 doesn't have IBIS

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

Leites wrote:

It's a shame Samsung NX10 doesn't have IBIS

I would agree on this also..it could be very useful for older lenses etc.

yana36 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

I like the NX10. Ma be I need to wait and compare with E-P2. Though I doubt Samsung can beat Olympus. Perhaps Sony will in the spring.

NX10 is much better in specs than micro 4/3.

redcrow Forum Member • Posts: 91
Re: Do Samsung make their own photo sensor?

DVT80111 wrote:

Otherwise it is like someone show up late to the DSLR party.

Samsung supplied APS-C sensors for Pentax K20D and K-7.

And the sensor or upgraded one will be used for NX10.

Art Vandelay II Regular Member • Posts: 394

yana36 wrote:

But m4/3's does have one huge advantage, they are an open system. They already have two companies working on bodies and lenses, and the hot rumor is Fuji is working on one as well. It's going to be awfully hard to offer the same amount of choices. I think Samsung really needs Pentax as a partner to succeed. The Pentax logo on a few lenses would help convince photographers to give Samsung a chance if nothing else. Samsung needs Pentax just like Panasonic needed Leica.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eparks/

Art Vandelay II's gear list:Art Vandelay II's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
ihkim Regular Member • Posts: 451

Art Vandelay II wrote:

yana36 wrote:

But m4/3's does have one huge advantage, they are an open system. They already have two companies working on bodies and lenses, and the hot rumor is Fuji is working on one as well. It's going to be awfully hard to offer the same amount of choices. I think Samsung really needs Pentax as a partner to succeed. The Pentax logo on a few lenses would help convince photographers to give Samsung a chance if nothing else. Samsung needs Pentax just like Panasonic needed Leica.
--

That might be true that new company can start the business with less risk and money under uFT system umbrella. But, in the other hand, they got to fight with other uFT companies and need to survive.

Nikon has its own world. So, no company cannot get into the world without Nikon's permission. So, Nikon can make money for selling lenses with less profit in the body sales. They can control their world.

However, in uFT system, for example, if Fuji makes great body but no lens, and Panasonic maybe decent body but great lens.

In that case, Fuji should make good profit from sales of body. Panasonic should make good profit from lens sales.

But still no brand royalties. Users of uFT can choose another brands products under uFT at any time. There is no barrier which can protect them.

In the perspective of manufacturers, they cannot control the market in uFT system.

That will be definitely good to users, but for manufacturers, uFT could be already in red-ocean. So, they should make profit from each products not from entire system.

That will cause make the product price higher.

IMO, uFT is not a win-win game to buyers and manufacturers.

You've been already seeing what competition is happening between Oly - Pana.
More companies is harder competition in uFT.

ihkim's gear list:ihkim's gear list
Samsung NX10 Canon EOS 550D Samsung NX100 Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 +5 more
Alexramos
OP Alexramos Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

I don´t now maybe Samsung doesn´t need Pentax more than a good optical-maker company.
The EVIL system is completely electronic and Samsung is strong in that.

hwalker Contributing Member • Posts: 961
Re: Not really open...

It's not really a open standard. Just a mount where the owner of the mount is willing to license it to other companies to participate in. I believe, to be truly a "open" standard, there should be documents available for anyone to create things for the standard without having to pay money which AFAIK isn't the case with micro 4/3rd.

Even with that limitation, it has potential to be good, sure, but so far Olympus has been pretty half-hearted in releasing lenses for the micro 4/3rd.

My guess is any EVIL mount that first gets the large third-party lenses such as those from Sigma and Tamron would provide most choices for users.

Art Vandelay II wrote:

yana36 wrote:

--

Mescalamba Contributing Member • Posts: 858

G1 or GH1 are quite beautiful cams (especially red version with silver Voigtlanders attached).. EP1 is retro and even if I don´t like it, its nice too..

This is hideous, ugly.. and totaly disgusting "design".. I never saw so ugly camera. Even if it produce great images (which it won´t) I would never buy that cause of look.

I don´t need camera to be beautiful, but at least look at it must be bearable.

Leica M9 design FTW.

Mescalamba wrote:

G1 or GH1 are quite beautiful cams (especially red version with silver Voigtlanders attached).. EP1 is retro and even if I don´t like it, its nice too..

This is hideous, ugly.. and totaly disgusting "design".. I never saw so ugly camera. Even if it produce great images (which it won´t) I would never buy that cause of look.

I don´t need camera to be beautiful, but at least look at it must be bearable.

Leica M9 design FTW.

Have you seen the glamor photos of it, or just the poorly lit leaked image in this thread? Because the show photos reveal it to be pretty:

Olympus PEN E-PL2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads