Pentax K100D Sigma 17-70 F2.8/4.5 DC Macro
Pentax 35mm F2 AL Pentax 55-300mm 4-5.8
http://picasaweb.google.com/RemcoRog
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/RemcoRog

RemcoR's gear list:RemcoR's gear list
Pentax K-5 +3 more
ogremage Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: Samsung NX10, final images...!!!

The viewfinder at the top hurts pocketability which is one of the key advantages for this sort of camera, although it does give it a DSLR-esque appearance that might help sales.

I think this is certainly a step in the right direction but probably the grip needs to be bigger while the hump on the top needs to be removed.

ogremage's gear list:ogremage's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

It looks ok to me, I don't have a major problem with the DSLR ish prism hump..

But I agree a better grip would be nicer, still..we shall see what this brings to the market, no doubt IQ will be similar to the Pentax DSLR's, let's hope they have a good jpeg engine in there.

Art Vandelay II Regular Member • Posts: 394

Ouch, that is one ugly little camera. Does every single corner have to be rounded? It looks like a bubble. The faux SLR hump is a no-go for me also. Why are Samsung and Panasonic (with the GH1) mimicking SLR's instead of Rangefinders? The E-P1 proved that virtually everyone prefers the rangefinder form factor, they just want one with an EVF built in. Samsung's, Olympus's, and Panasonic's designers should be beat with with Leica M bodies until they figure out what a nice design is.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eparks/

Art Vandelay II's gear list:Art Vandelay II's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
godfrog Senior Member • Posts: 1,463

If they are going after the amateur-SLR buyers, the NX10 makes sense. It seems to have decent ergonomics, an EVF, a pop-up flash (that might actually be able to do fill light in sunlight), and hopefully the sensor will be more like the K20D sensor and less like the K-7 sensor. It is the smallest interchangeable lens APS-C camera.

I think that is a huge mistake though. The NX does not a full system around like the SLR/EVIL makers have, Samsung have zero brand prestige, and the amateur-SLR market is full of confused buyers who just want the image quality but end up buying into a SLR system, with no intentions of ever buying a lens or external flash.

They should have gone for a super-compact LCD-only (optional EVF) camera for the first model. That market segment caters to both "sunday-snappers" who wants their snaps to print okay at ISO6400, as well as advanced photographers who are looking for a smaller alternative to their Nikon D3 or whatever. The lack of lenses/accessories is lesser problem, just look at GF1/E-P1, how many buy those cameras to use them with anything else than a pancake prime or the kit zoom?

The NX10 should have been the second camera in the NX-mount (is that the name?) system, catering to those who want some ergonomics, a viewfinder and a pop-up flash.

-- hide signature --
Boris Moscow Contributing Member • Posts: 784

May I ask you why?

I, for example, like the jpeg images from K-7 a lot. If not the price and size the K-7 would be almost perfect camera for me.

godfrog wrote:

and hopefully the sensor will be more like the K20D sensor and less like the K-7 sensor.

-- hide signature --

'Life is something that happens to you while you're making other plans'.
M. Millar

Boris Moscow wrote:
May I ask you why?

I, for example, like the jpeg images from K-7 a lot. If not the price and size the K-7 would be almost perfect camera for me.

godfrog wrote:

and hopefully the sensor will be more like the K20D sensor and less like the K-7 sensor.

Because the K-7 has worse dynamic range and worse high-ISO capabilities than the K20D.

The JPEGs are not made by the sensor but by the JPEG engine (RAW developer) built into the camera. Hopefully the NX cameras will have a good sensor and a good JPEG engine.

-- hide signature --

I didn't know that,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/page29.asp

godfrog wrote:

Because the K-7 has worse dynamic range and worse high-ISO capabilities than the K20D.

-- hide signature --

M. Millar

Boris Moscow wrote:
I didn't know that,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/page29.asp

godfrog wrote:

Because ISO3200 on a K-7 meters like ISO1600 on a K20D, it overexposes and pulls back the exposure when developing to JPEG. The result of course looks okay at ISO3200, but that is because its basically ISO1600.

DXOMark is not fooled by such tactics, and in lines with what owners of both cameras find, rates the high-ISO and DR of the K-7 lower than the K20D.

JPEG DR tests on DPReview is a joke, changing developing settings (contrast mostly) will significantly alter the measured dynamic range. If their findings were to be believed there are compacts with more DR than Nikon D700...

-- hide signature --

Thanks, you are right, according to the DXOMark at least: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/ (appareil1) 330|0 (appareil2) 213|0 (onglet) 0 (brand) Pentax (brand2) Pentax

My eyes still love pictures from K-7.
--
M. Millar

Arturo Fukuda Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Hey Alex

That picture is linked to my flickr account....when you take information from my blog, plz at least show the source.

http://www.fotoactualidad.com/2009/12/samsung-nx10-imagenes-reales.html

thanks

Arturo Fukuda Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
NX 18-55mm (image)
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: NX 18-55mm (image)

christ that looks fugly....

-- hide signature --

ʎǝlıɹ

plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo doʇ uo ǝɹɐ ǝʍ 'ɐılɐɹʇsnɐ uı

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
D4N13L Forum Member • Posts: 51

seconded!

Art Vandelay II wrote:

Ouch, that is one ugly little camera. Does every single corner have to be rounded? It looks like a bubble. The faux SLR hump is a no-go for me also. Why are Samsung and Panasonic (with the GH1) mimicking SLR's instead of Rangefinders? The E-P1 proved that virtually everyone prefers the rangefinder form factor, they just want one with an EVF built in. Samsung's, Olympus's, and Panasonic's designers should be beat with with Leica M bodies until they figure out what a nice design is.
--

-- hide signature --

currently calculating the size of the universe.

Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,876

godfrog wrote:

Because ISO3200 on a K-7 meters like ISO1600 on a K20D, it overexposes and pulls back the exposure when developing to JPEG. The result of course looks okay at ISO3200, but that is because its basically ISO1600.

Comparing the DXO Labs test results, the actual measued ISO values for an advertised ISO3200 were 2676 for the K20D and 2818 for the K-7. Both overstate the sensitivity, but it is the K20D that overstates it more. Perhaps its slight advantage is at least in part a result of the very same evil you accuse the K-7 of?

-- hide signature --

K20D w/Sigma 10-20 and 70EX-DG Macro, DA*16-50, FA50-1.4, DA55-300 and 18-250

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
nsandersen Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: humps

The hump is fine with me if it contains a decent electronic viewfinder and pop-up flash. A larger grip would also hurt pocketability and without those in my eyes redeeming features!

Anyway, I think all this is irrelevant for me, as I wan't in-body stabilisation.

ogremage Contributing Member • Posts: 959

nsandersen wrote:

The hump is fine with me if it contains a decent electronic viewfinder and pop-up flash. A larger grip would also hurt pocketability and without those in my eyes redeeming features!

Actually, a larger grip doesn't really hurt pocketability as it would not be protruding more than the lens anyway. The hump, however, protrudes in a direction that nothing else protrudes in.

ogremage's gear list:ogremage's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
euphotos Regular Member • Posts: 295

The only thing (in addition to being able to use K mount lenses with AF) that would have tempted me to get one would have been small size close to the m4/3 bodies such as GF1 or E-P1 and a classic camera look. Now we get this bigger pseudo-DSLR and as posters above mentioned, it IS fugly. Fail.

kalamarios Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: NX 18-55mm (image)

Rriley wrote:

christ that looks fugly....

My sentiments exactly!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads