Olympus 35-80 2.8 ED, how good?

Started Dec 19, 2009 | Discussions
Zuiko4ever New Member • Posts: 3
Olympus 35-80 2.8 ED, how good?

Hi!

Just became a member here, recommended from one of my friends, the same friend have been talking for years of this Olympus Zuiko zoom 35-80 lens as one of the best ever made.
Now, I have a Panasonic G1 and an OM adapter.

I have been curuious for years, but never seen one actually.
Never seen pictures taken with one too.

Just wonder:

Is it so good as they say, and if I ever should come across one, what should be a realistic price?

Thanks

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
Re: Olympus 35-80 2.8 ED, how good?

You must mean the 35-100 f2, which is $2049 on Amazon right now...

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-35-100mm-Zuiko-Lens-Cameras/dp/B000BKP1JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261191997&sr=8-1

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

shutter2533 Senior Member • Posts: 1,476
Very good, very expensive and very rare

Zuiko4ever wrote:

Hi!

Now, I have a Panasonic G1 and an OM adapter.

I have been curuious for years, but never seen one actually.
Never seen pictures taken with one too.

Just wonder:

Is it so good as they say, and if I ever should come across one, what should be a realistic price?

Due to its rarity, the price is unrealistic. I've seen them offered over $1500. Why do you want one? When mounted to an m43 body you get the equivalent of 70-160mm focal length.

A used Nikon 28-70/f2.8 ED-IF is available for less and can be mounted to the G1 with adapters.

For $2050 Olympus offers the Zuiko Digital 35-100mm f2 which I'm sure surpasses the performance of the 20 yr design of the OM 35-80/2.8. You will need the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter that will relay lens data, though AF probably won't work on the G1.

At this point in time there are better choices.

Trevor

Gary Blake Senior Member • Posts: 1,895

Very good lens, one of the last designed and built for the OM system, incorporated ED glass and was used by Sinar on some of the first commercial high resolution digital backs.

Came standard on the OM 3Ti, one of the best and rarest OM camera bodies.

Very sharp lens and may be the film equivalent of the DZ 35-100. One stop slower but a whole lot smaller.

Rare and expensive but makes a very good dual purpose lens between digital and film bodies. Very solid build quality.

Very good results on E series: E3 at about f 5.6, 80mm, ISO 100, hand held

OM4Ti, scanned film:

Gary

Gary Blake's gear list:Gary Blake's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +17 more
OP Zuiko4ever New Member • Posts: 3

Thanks for info and pictures, looks lovely!
Seems to work fine with the E3!!

It's just that I've heard so much about it, and now I've seen a couple of them over at ebay, and just wondered what a good price might be.

I suppose it is a legend in the Zuiko history...

Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846

love that sky in frame #1 Gary

-- hide signature --

ʎǝlıɹ

plɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo doʇ uo ǝɹɐ ǝʍ 'ɐılɐɹʇsnɐ uı

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Paul Auclair
Paul Auclair Veteran Member • Posts: 5,463

if i understand it right...

legacy lenses focus a particular image/scene onto a much larger square surface size than Oly's smaller digital sensors. therefor, Oly's digital specific lenses are of much higher quality glass in order to be able to squeeze that same amount of resolution(detail) onto the much smaller digital sensor.

the opposing argument for OM glass is that only the center (sweetspot) of the lens is actually used with the smaller sensors.

i wouldn't know if a modern equivalent Digital Zuiko would yield overall better IQ but i wouldn't be too surprised if the Digital specific lenses were indeed better overall.
this site has a lot of info on all things Zuiko stuff (among others).

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/3580mmDOThtm
(replace "DOT" with a .)

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Mr Bosun New Member • Posts: 2

I've just bought one of these sought after lenses and it looks as if it's brand new.  However, there is some radial/side to side movement of the zoom tube.  Is this to be expected?  If not, is it detrimental?  If it is, can it be repaired?

Many thanks,

Mr Bosun

SRT201
SRT201 Senior Member • Posts: 2,586

I'm sure it's great glass, but with modern computer design and manufacturing processes AND the more recent advances in lens coatings, these old lenses just can't compete with modern optics.  They still take great shots but on a technical level they simply can't keep up.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

MAubrey
MAubrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,600

SRT201 wrote:

I'm sure it's great glass, but with modern computer design and manufacturing processes AND the more recent advances in lens coatings, these old lenses just can't compete with modern optics. They still take great shots but on a technical level they simply can't keep up.

Except: this isn't one of those 'old lenses.' The 35-80mm f/2.8 is only a few years older than the great four thirds lenses like the 35-100mm f/2. It's most certainly a modern computer design with superb coatings, too.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +2 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948

MAubrey wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

I'm sure it's great glass, but with modern computer design and manufacturing processes AND the more recent advances in lens coatings, these old lenses just can't compete with modern optics. They still take great shots but on a technical level they simply can't keep up.

Except: this isn't one of those 'old lenses.' The 35-80mm f/2.8 is only a few years older than the great four thirds lenses like the 35-100mm f/2. It's most certainly a modern computer design with superb coatings, too.

The 35-80 f2.8 was released in 1994 along with the OM-3Ti.  The 35-100 f2 was released in 2005.  That is 11 years, but more significant it is the difference between film and digital.

The 35-80 is a fine lens.  But it was designed for 35mm film.  The two concerns are that the lens is not designed to provide optimal resolution to a reduced image circle, and the lens is not designed to deal with the reflectivity of digital sensors.  This can cause flares and reduced contrast.  In some lighting conditions, this may be fine.  But issues can occur in high contrast lighting.

Personally, I would not spend that kind of money.  But that's just me.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D7100 +17 more
MAubrey
MAubrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,600

john isaacs wrote:

MAubrey wrote:

SRT201 wrote:

The 35-80 f2.8 was released in 1994 along with the OM-3Ti. The 35-100 f2 was released in 2005. That is 11 years, but more significant it is the difference between film and digital.

The 35-80 is a fine lens. But it was designed for 35mm film. The two concerns are that the lens is not designed to provide optimal resolution to a reduced image circle, and the lens is not designed to deal with the reflectivity of digital sensors. This can cause flares and reduced contrast. In some lighting conditions, this may be fine. But issues can occur in high contrast lighting.

Personally, I would not spend that kind of money. But that's just me.

Yep. We all spend our money based on our own personal priorities. Since you've shared yours, here are mine:

In the world of lens design, 11 years isn't very long--indeed, the 35-100 is 12 years old now. It's also 4/3s, focus by wire, and will succumb to dead electronics long before the mechanical 35-80mm f/2.8 disappears. I've never *personally* encountered a situation where reflectivity of the sensor has cause a problem. I only have three AF lenses. The rest are mechanical adapted lenses. I have a different set of values than you. That's all.

-- hide signature --

--Mike

MAubrey's gear list:MAubrey's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +2 more
philosomatographer
philosomatographer Contributing Member • Posts: 539

Disclaimer: I was a very intense OM system user on film, with pretty much all the exotic lenses including the 35-80/2.8, and thereafter an intense four thirds user, with most of the SHG zooms, including the 14-35/2.0 which I see as the spiritual successor to the 35-80 on the digital system.

For what it is, as one of the earliest ultra-high optical quality zooms for a 35mm camera system, the OM Zuiko 35-80 is superb. But there is no way it will touch the optical quality of, say, the 14-35mm or 35-100mm f/2.0 zooms on a small high-resolution sensor.

The SHG zooms outperform even legendary lenses - like Leica APO ASPH glass - on small sensors, and are in a league of their own.

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Nikon Df Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads