--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Per PN Senior Member • Posts: 1,267
Re: X1 review is up

Its like mac products, never buy version 1.0 the X2 will be leaps and bounds better, like M9 vs. M8. But I hope the price wont follow

-- hide signature --

Per Nicolaisen

Photo's of my East Greenland:
http://www.byper.net

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888

Amazed at the lack of optical finder, esp considering it's a leica and a fixed lens.

Ingo Ronner Forum Member • Posts: 53

Well I'm happy that I didn't pre-order one, it was high on my list, nothing more nothing less then expected, and the competition (GF1 and EP-1) at half price much more versatile. A nice plaything, but it lost contact with photographic reality these days.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25143217@N05/

Kadu Forum Member • Posts: 84

Wow, excellent image quality.

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,498
Let the bashing begin!

LOL!
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
James M Hughes Senior Member • Posts: 2,007
Re: Let the bashing begin!

Okay - Image stabilisation works in JPEG only ? Strange!

J M Hughes

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,498
RAW + JPEG or JPEG

No just RAW only! WTF!
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
peter frederiksen Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: RAW + JPEG or JPEG

For that money i can have a nice winter holliday with my wife and small girl and still afford to buy gf1 or olympus ep1
if only leica x1 had fast aotofocus, image stab. or good jpg, but it doesnt

Leica wants us to buy their gear so we can bragg of the leica brand,but the high price covers up for not being able to compete with japanese compagnys on the tech specs

so its dissapointing and the images i have seen from sigma dp2 seems much sharper and even with stronger colors,the price is 1/3
so goodbuy x1!

Angular Mo Senior Member • Posts: 2,454
Can firmware fix the following.... ?

1) AF speed
2) shot-to-shot speed
3) RAW only shooting.

-- hide signature --

'Photos are what remain when the memories are forgotten' - Angular Mo.

Angular Mo's gear list:Angular Mo's gear list
Samsung NV7 OPS Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Herfried Regular Member • Posts: 185
Buy for 2000 what you could get for 600, 700.

Indeed, nice small camera, excellent IQ.

Quite comparable to the GF1 (as long you don't step to Iso 3200) or the Oly Pen.

These models even have interchangable lenes = much more freedom (all 4/3rds lenes usable with adapter).

So you pay 500 bucks for the 4/3rds or 2000 bucks for the same quality leica w/o any real advantage.

For 2000 bucks you can gat a FF camera, for example an EOS5D MarkII, which indeed is not that big (I saw friends photographing with it, and it is despite being FF, a small - tiny - box!).

Sell the leica for 700 bucks ant it's fine, highly recommended.
Sell it for 2000 bucks and its waste of money.

(The official price opf 900 bucks for GF and Pen are not exactly anymore the street price, tha was the starting price, and prices fell)

liviutza Regular Member • Posts: 488
Re: Let the bashing begin!

It is "electronic", meaning that's actually image processing, and not mechanical stabilization. As you can't do that in raw, it's just more or less smart processing. Not as gross as simply increasing ISO and calling it "shake reduction" as some manufacturers do, but not "real" stabilization either, and not so useful; the review is probably not saying it openly for sentimental reason, but the hint is that it is better to leave it off at all times.

All in all, this is probably the first Leica digital camera that has significant disadvantages over lower-priced cameras, and no significant advantages over competitors. The lens is good, but equal to Panny (and slower), speed is mediocre (vs. competitors), and so on. I would never buy a Leica with my income, but I can affor a GF-1, and now knowing it's a better camera just makes me wish to save that money faster :).

liviutza's gear list:liviutza's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
liviutza Regular Member • Posts: 488
Re: Can firmware fix the following.... ?

Depends on the current camera development stage. If product developers at Leica did their job properly (and, for the price, I like to think they did), then, no - it cannot be fixed by firmware, as it is limited by processing speed and hardware. If they just released a camera with a sloppy firmware - yes, sure it can be improved, but even if that happens I would say only marginal gains can be achieved.

liviutza's gear list:liviutza's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
frozenlight Contributing Member • Posts: 583
X1 is D.O.A. in my Book - How Can They Rate it RECOMMENDED...?

... with so many obvious deal-breaker flaws...?

Compared to any other RAW capable compact fixed lens camera this is clearly a non-starter proposition.

Must confess the "Recommended" rating raises serious doubts in my mind about objectivity and legitimate benchmarking to other best-in-class options... OK so some will say its in a different "class" but I really don't get that argument at all.

I'll stick with my GRD/GX100/GF-1...

-- hide signature --

Sensorly yours...

cvye Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: X1 is D.O.A. in my Book - How Can They Rate it RECOMMENDED...?

It's all grade-inflation. You need to translate their rating system:

Highly Recommended = Worth a look, but caveat emptor
Recommended = Only for fanboys, others - stay away

Andrew Westlake Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Here's how:

The X1 is recommended because it provides excellent image quality, even at high ISOs, in a small, silent, discrete camera. So if you really want this combination of features, the X1 is currently about your best bet.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com/lensreviews

Andrew Westlake's gear list:Andrew Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Stylus Verve S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +11 more
OK I See... An Expensive Paperweight

I'm amazed that Leica with its relatively limited resources would waste so much time, money, and human capital to produce a desk accessory like this... I'd much rather they focus on producing and delivering the M9's on back-order and work on the M9.2 to fix the (relatively minor) issues with the prototype release...
--
Sensorly yours...

pxpaulx Regular Member • Posts: 403
Re: Here's how:

Andy Westlake wrote:

The X1 is recommended because it provides excellent image quality, even at high ISOs, in a small, silent, discrete camera. So if you really want this combination of features, the X1 is currently about your best bet.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com/lensreviews

Except it isn't your best bet with either of the current m4/3 cameras available at half the price or more; if you want a near silent shutter you can also step up to the relatively compact and much more usable pentax K7 as well, slap on a high end limited prime and you are just getting into the same neighborhood price-wise.

If the image quality is at best only on par with all of the significantly cheaper offerings, how do you justify paying $1,000 for a name?

I don't even quite understand why a camera like this is getting reviewed (and so quickly) by a mainly consumer-oriented camera website. The kind of people who buy this camera are going to tend to be people who probably don't even do their own shopping. The only real reason I see this getting reviewed is that it doesn't compete at all with the big brands that get pushed around here; meanwhile the Pentax K-x has been out 2 months without a review, and is a serious alternative to, for example, the d3000 which was just reviewed. This site is increasingly becoming laughable.

Jim Radcliffe
Jim Radcliffe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,646
I was sorry to see this....

The review pretty much went the way I expected it to go. I honestly was hoping the camera would be a home run success. I can see the small universe of photographers who will buy the X1 but for most of us I think I got it right when I said... too little, too late, too expensive.

I'm sure we will see some stunning images from the X1 much like I saw from the DP1 but as with the DP1 their are characteristics of the camera and features missing that keep me from using it on a day to day basis. As DPReview noted, there are cameras for half the price that maybe can not match the X1 sensor but totally outperform the X1 in versatility and also have great image quality even with a smaller sensor.

Leica needed to produce a Digital CL. Nothing more, nothing less.. at the same price point or slightly higher (say $2.5 to $3K) and they would have had a winner as an entry level "Real" Leica. Many of us have been saying this for years and no one in Solms seems to hear us. I just don't believe the X1 is the entry level Leica serious amateurs and hobbyist desire.

The good news is... they will sell the thing anyway because of that red dot.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
http://www.oceona.com

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Fujifilm X-E2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-1
Re: Here's how: Not.

Andy Westlake wrote:

No it is clearly not.

Yes I want great IQ but I also need to shoot kids, sports action, wildlife, and street... so I need functional AF for speed when its needed and also functional MF when I want to be a bit more creative...again, in comparison to the other AF and MF capable compact options out there, this is clearly a non-starter. Your review clearly points out the slow/poor AF and disfunctional MF of this camera. Sorry I still don't understand your logic with respect to "Recommended".

If you want great IQ for landscapes then why mess around with the limitations of a compact? Use a DSLR.

Why spend $2000 if all you want to shoot is still portraits, and frozen travel shots..? I don't see the price remotely justifying this. In any case, for travel purposes, the battery life is very poor in comparison to the competition... So again it seems to be a very pricey path to IQ for limited shooting opportunities...

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com/lensreviews

-- hide signature --

Sensorly yours...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads