Lightroom 2.6 (non RC) available

Started Dec 18, 2009 | Discussions
gm1974 Contributing Member • Posts: 552
Lightroom 2.6 (non RC) available

Booted up LR and it told me that the full release version of 2.6 is available for download.

Mac Version here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4628&fileID=4295

Installing it now. Let's see if there's any difference, though 2.6rc was pretty good...
--
http://www.flickr.com/gm1974

Daniel Clune
Daniel Clune Veteran Member • Posts: 3,453
let us know what you think

Right now iam back to using Capture One 5.0 with 7D raws, lightroom 2.6RC just isnt as good at iso 100 to 1600 than Capture one is right now. I like Lightroom interface and the brush tool so i hope lightroom is improved over the RC version.
--
http://www.pbase.com/dc9mm

Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
sritri Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: let us know what you think

Rightaway with the update I can open the sRAW from 7D. Earlier I could open only in DPP

The noise pattern looks a lot different to me now, but I may be hallucinating as it is well past midnight here in Chicago
--
Shreeni

sritri's gear list:sritri's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +4 more
Robert D. McGee1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,157
Re: Thanks for the heads up on the LR update.

I have downloaded it and hope to get some shots with the new 7D this weekend.
--
Dale53
http://www.pbase.com/dale53

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
NOTE: it updates this time even if you already installed the RC

so there must be something new in there, at least for one camera, and perhaps the 7D.

OP gm1974 Contributing Member • Posts: 552
Re: NOTE: it updates this time even if you already installed the RC

Quick play with 2.6(full) this am. Looks like a nicer conversion at mid isos 400-1600. The noise is very fine (almost imperceptible at 100% esp at 4-800) easy to smooth out, esp if you mask the sharpening.

Looks pretty good to my amateur and uneducated eyes.

I'm comfy with LR so I'd much rather try and optimize my shots with it than mess around with dpp or C1.

I tried the demo of C1 and found it quite clunky without much IQ difference at the end of pp. If anything my LR files looked better, though the default conversion was a bit better than 2.6rc. I'd wager they are even now though didn't have a chance to compare this am.

Apologies for typos and abbrev. words, post written on my iphone with my fat fingers and only 1 edit allowed

-- hide signature --
samWebster123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,153

Can't wait to install it....

I've done some tests with dxo and LR2.6rc and DXO definitely handles the noise pattern better. Am eager to see what 2.6 can do.

samWebster123's gear list:samWebster123's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more
mickcivic Contributing Member • Posts: 576

I can't wait, either!

I'm excited at the prospect that my work flow might return to normal.

Fingers crossed.

samWebster123 wrote:

Can't wait to install it....

I've done some tests with dxo and LR2.6rc and DXO definitely handles the noise pattern better. Am eager to see what 2.6 can do.

mickcivic's gear list:mickcivic's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Brand New Regular Member • Posts: 207
Re: Lightroom 2.6 (non RC) available

I've been checking every day for the past few weeks, hoping this would go final I can't wait to uninstall DPP from my computer!

Secerator New Member • Posts: 7

did someone tested if the noise issue is gone?

reginalddwight Senior Member • Posts: 2,003

I'm wondering if LR2.6 does a better job handling noise now. Anyone know yet?

7D and LightRoom 2.6 noise level vs DPP

Noise level. No edid, no NR. First file was converted to DNG (in LR 2.6 RC)

LR 2.6 RC vs LR2.6 vs DPP

http://chronosphotos.com/content/14Weddings/07GI/7dLRnoise_test.jpg

Daniel Clune
2 samples one with cap1 other lightroom

Two samples from my 7D . I used the default settings for both Capture One and lightroom 2.6 full release. 100 percent crops saved at level 8. Now of course they can both be tweaked but i just wanted to see how they look at default setting.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Re: 7D and LightRoom 2.6 noise level vs DPP

I'm still gonna use LR... The work flow is much easier. Then I can run the images trough noise ninja. is hard to work on thousands of pictures in DPP.. at least for me.

ncuthbertson Senior Member • Posts: 1,299

I have version 1.4.1 can I upgrade to 2.6?

Secerator wrote:

I'm still gonna use LR... The work flow is much easier. Then I can run the images trough noise ninja. is hard to work on thousands of pictures in DPP.. at least for me.

plus equal settings are not equal anyway, each program has different amounts of forced internal NR, you really need to compare by best, most comparable effort from each, whatever settings get you there (a pretty tricky process actually since balancing noise and detail, so many possible slider settings, etc. although a general sense can be gotten reasonably easily)

Re: 2 samples one with cap1 other lightroom

the tricky thing with default settings though is cap 1 tends to assume the output is the final process whereas ACR assumes you will still sharpen in CS4

so in the end you can't really compare converters all that sensibly locked into default settings

(i also find if you really want fine detail extraction from ACR you need to move that radius slider from the default of 1 down the smallest it allowes, 0.5 and remove some masking which it defaults fairly high with certain bodies, although you may want to also tone down the typical 25 sharpness to 16-20 or so depending and you may also want to turn on a little clarity setting too; and then follow that with a pass or a few passes of smartsharpen of various radius and strength or whatever you use to sharpen)

Daniel Clune
Re: 2 samples one with cap1 other lightroom

Very true Bronx but i have found if you turn up the sharpening much at all in lightroom the noise really starts to show even if you do it just like you said. Were the default sharpening is stonger in Cap One it doesnt bring out the noise like in lightroom. I really wish it wasnt this way as i prefer the controls in lightroom over Cap One. But for now Cap One is my choice for 7D files. I also like the default color better out of cap one. Its not a huge differance but its more to my likeing.

bronxbombers wrote:

the tricky thing with default settings though is cap 1 tends to assume the output is the final process whereas ACR assumes you will still sharpen in CS4

so in the end you can't really compare converters all that sensibly locked into default settings

(i also find if you really want fine detail extraction from ACR you need to move that radius slider from the default of 1 down the smallest it allowes, 0.5 and remove some masking which it defaults fairly high with certain bodies, although you may want to also tone down the typical 25 sharpness to 16-20 or so depending and you may also want to turn on a little clarity setting too; and then follow that with a pass or a few passes of smartsharpen of various radius and strength or whatever you use to sharpen)

-- hide signature --
fwampler Senior Member • Posts: 1,776
That may be so ..

but I've tried both and DPP converts to a much nicer image than LR 2.6 or LR 3 beta. The color is better and the detail (not sharpness) is better. After conversion, sometimes I use LR or one other program to tweak since DPP is mainly a converter.

BTW, I've switched back and forth between the two converters so often my wife thinks I'm nuts. I wanted to use LR but I've found I just can't be happy with the results.

bronxbombers wrote:

Secerator wrote:

plus equal settings are not equal anyway, each program has different amounts of forced internal NR, you really need to compare by best, most comparable effort from each, whatever settings get you there (a pretty tricky process actually since balancing noise and detail, so many possible slider settings, etc. although a general sense can be gotten reasonably easily)

-- hide signature --

Fred

fwampler's gear list:fwampler's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS RP +18 more
Re: That may be so ..

I dont have much experience with DPP and LR, what is the best workflow to convert the files in DPP and then use LR for sorting, choosing, editing other aspects in LR?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads