For Ece, 1:1, Firmware, test 2

Started Dec 17, 2009 | Discussions
l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,401
For Ece, 1:1, Firmware, test 2

As requested by Ece, I made some more tests with the new 1:1. This time I made it at home where I had much more light than in the museum.

They are shot in ISO 200. On the left, you can see the shot after a slight PP; on top right in JPEG out of camera; on the bottom right, raw to tiff in Capture One and from tiff to jpeg in PS; without any processing!

The noise may not be too noticeable in this size, but much more in larger size! Because of better lighting, I had better quality file than those I had in the museum. But still more than I had wished!

Honestly, it may have nothing to do with Capture One, new firmware or 1:1; but I notice this noise issue more than ever before!... Maybe I am missing something!...

-- hide signature --

Louis

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +12 more
allamande
allamande Veteran Member • Posts: 3,062
Louis

Thank you for this. The jpegs seem to be better than the raw. But then I seem to remember a similar discussion when this camera was first introduced, someone, maybe it was Raaj, posted comparison images jpeg vs. raw and jpegs were better. Am I right about this?

As for noise, honestly, I can't tell if this is more than what was there before the update. It looks acceptable to my aged eyes 8-)

I did a few test shots today outside at 80 ISO just to see what I get raw vs jpeg at 1:1. I'll report if I find something earth shattering.

BTW, the link you gave in the other test thread has some outstanding shots (as usual). The second one made me laugh. All I can say is: Remember where he ended up!

Best regards,
Ece

l_objectif
OP l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,401
Re: Louis

allamande wrote:

The second one made me laugh. All I can say is: Remember where he ended up!

I wouldn't mind ending up in an exotic island!
I think his problem was Josephine!...

He had a remarkable life anyway!..

Best wishes,
--
Louis

Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +12 more
euston Senior Member • Posts: 2,224
Re: For Ece, 1:1, Firmware, test 2

This is puzzling, Louis. I can't see obtrusive noise in these photos. What I do see is a lot of good detail. Have you noticed whether the new firmware has improved the level of detail? Is it possible you're misinterpreting that as noise? Just a thought.

l_objectif
Robert

I am not sure if the new firmware is improving the details. But I must also admit that the lighting condition being quite bad in the museum, I had to work very hard om my shots to make them "Presentable" to post! (in this post: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1038&message=33991532 )

But with the shots in the current post, having more light in my apartment, I did not have that much problem!... Somehow, I still notice more noise than ever before! Please, keep in mind that the image on the left has been processed with noiseware!

Am I becoming more "Noise sensitive" with age? That is also possible!

-- hide signature --

Louis

allamande
Louis -follow up

I looked at my outside/daylight shots at 80 ISO (for 1:1). The IQ is not what we are used to from this camera at all. I think it is not your aging eyes, after all. Though I can't offer any scientific proof (it is also about my aging eyes, after all).

Raw file conversion (like you were discussing in another thread) is a huge issue for me as well. So, in the end, I thought all this was not worth the time it is eating up, and decided to go back to the old firmware (1.2). It was worth trying though.

Ece

Rick Lade Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: For Ece, 1:1, Firmware, test 2

Just out of curiosity, are you seeing more noise in the other aspect ratios as well since updating the firmware, or just the 1:1?

l_objectif
Re: Louis -follow up

Ece,

Thank you for reassuring me! I just updated to version 2.2, and I hope it is going to work better!... As I mentioned before, the lighting conditions are very important for the noise issue and I had a very bad lighting in the museum. The shots at home are better because I had much light.

Also, you previousely mentioned that jpeg files are better than raw with Dlux4. That is normal since the camera's software make some adjustments for jpeg, while we should work ourselves for raw files ! I prefer to work with raw because I see much difference for small objects such as tree branches, etc...

Very best,
--
Louis

l_objectif
Rick

Rick, this is a very valid question, but frankly, because of the coming holidays, I had very little mtime for shooting. But I will certainly check that out. I also updated my firmware with the new one that just came out, version2.2. So I hope they made some corrections!
--
Louis

Rick Lade Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: Rick

I'm going to run some tests of my own as well. Hopefully over the weekend. I have a bad feeling that any noise issues affect all the aspect ratios. I'm no expert, but common sense tells me that all would be affected. There's no separate sensor or processor for 1:1. It pretty much all goes to the same place. To my way of thinking, the aspect ratios are nothing more than an internal crop of the sensor. I guess we'll see. I hope Leica didn't screw up the update. I think it could be risky trying to go back to version 1.2. It may work, then again it may not. It's a cr*pshoot at best I think.

Keep us posted with what you find out on this as well.

l_objectif
Re: Rick

Rick read my update in this post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1038&message=34007879

I did some very fast thests and I think the new firmware, 2.2, is good!
--
Louis

l_objectif
Re: Louis -follow up

Ece, I reached the same conclusion as you; I am not liking this "Update" and wish to go back to the version 1.2. But the problem is, I can't find the old version anywhere! They removed it from the Leica site!

Where did you get it from?... Was going to the older version the same as upgrading?...

Best regards,
--
Louis

allamande
Louis -emailed you the file

At that time, they had it still available on the German site. The link was given here by Sibbing, at the beginning of this thread where he also gives instructions for "going back"

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1038&message=33997303

I don't know if they still have the file up on their site but I sent you the copy I have.

Good luck!

Ece

l_objectif
Re: Louis -emailed you the file

I got it. Thank you very much, Ece. I will give a try today! I am very frustrated with the new firmware!

Thanks,
--
Louis

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads