K20 or Kx

Started Dec 17, 2009 | Discussions
duber3 New Member • Posts: 10
K20 or Kx

Hi!!

I sold my Alpha300 beceause I didn't like it and now I would like to buy a Pentax

I can have a K20 with one kit lens for a price a little bit higher then Kx with the 2 lens kit

I read a lot about the Kx but I would have liked to read a review here about the KX before I buy it, One thing bothers is that there is no focus light in the viewfinder and I think the K20 have it??

If you can help me it will be really appreciate

Thank!
Eric

fskhoo Regular Member • Posts: 250
Re: K20 or Kx

It might be a difficult decision. I have a K10D and K-x. K20D used to be Pentax top range camera before K7. Its still a very good ,solid weather proof work horse. K-x is fun, light weight, fast autofocus ,the best low light shooter up to ISO6400, solid but "Toy like"compare to K20D. I doubt K-x daytime photos is any better than K20D. The K-x Live view and video is noisy compare to others. If you can get both at same price, I would go for K20D ,unless you want to use ISO up to 6400. Dont get K-x just for its video and LV. Hold both cameras before you decide. Good luck.
--

K10D,14f2.8,Tamron 18-250,35f2.Panasonic LC1,DMC-L1,Nikon FE2/50f1.4,Olympus C5060.

OP duber3 New Member • Posts: 10

Thank for the reply, the video on the KX is just an extra, I will not buy it just for this

the K20 is a little bit more expensive then the Kx, i'm really confuse, both seems really good

nitinkhare Regular Member • Posts: 225

duber3 wrote:

Thank for the reply, the video on the KX is just an extra, I will not buy it just for this

the K20 is a little bit more expensive then the Kx, i'm really confuse, both seems really good

K-x - Entry Level, 12 MP, Smaller, Lighter, Better High ISO, Multiple Colors, Video, HDR, AA.

K20 - Mid-range, 14 MP, Better Build, Weatherproof, Heavier, Bigger, Lithimu Ion.

K-x is more suited for casual / amature. But I really don't find anything other than Build, Weatherproofing and AF indicator that makes it any inferior from K20.

If you are not a pro, then K-x is better because I believe it will make photography more fun. But if you are a pro or wannabe pro, then K20 will server you better.

And since you have already owned and returned one camera, you better know what you missed in it and which one out of K-x / K20 fills those gaps.
--
Nitin

Britney Elvis Veteran Member • Posts: 5,270
You tell us what...

duber3 wrote:

Hi!!

I sold my Alpha300 beceause I didn't like it and now I would like to buy a Pentax

I can have a K20 with one kit lens for a price a little bit higher then Kx with the 2 lens kit

I read a lot about the Kx but I would have liked to read a review here about the KX before I buy it, One thing bothers is that there is no focus light in the viewfinder and I think the K20 have it??

If you can help me it will be really appreciate

Thank!
Eric

Hey Eric

Before you spend a nickel on a new camera, tell us what it was that your Alpha did not do that you wanted it to, and what you did not like about the alpha.

Only then should we be pointing you towards a camera.

If you already had a DSLR you did not like... it makes sense to spend the time to get it right this time.

gus

-- hide signature --

'Nothing is worse than active ignorance'

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

narddogg81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,029

I would go for the kx if i were you. I have the k20d with the focus point indicators, and I find it too big of a hassle to change the focus point while actually shooting. I just always use the center point and then recompose, its much quicker for me. If i ever do set it to a different point i forget the next time and miss a shot opportunity as i try to move it back in time. The only time I can think of where I might use the other focus points in the field is when I have plenty of time to set up the shot and use a tripod, in which case I would probably just manual focus in magnified live view to get to the focus exact. Go with the k20d if you plan to get weather sealed * lenses or want a ton of customization. Get the kx if you like small, light, inconspicuous, with about 1 stop better iso performance (its like making all your lenses one stop faster). If you are coming from a sony, either one is going to feel incredibly well built and solid, and the k20d might be a bit much. Its a pretty sizable camera.

LightBug Senior Member • Posts: 2,400

I would recommend the K-x and the two lens kit with 55-300mm telephoto. It will cover you from 18mm to 300mm range for not much money (I got mine for $750, you may find cheaper now).

Joey

LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Sony a7R Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +10 more
paul_do Regular Member • Posts: 376

I owned both but I kind of enjoy shooting with the K-X because of the faster auto focus.
--
K20D, White K-X
Metz 58 AF-1+studio strobes
DA* 16-50mm, DA* 50-135mm

jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

OK IMO for the K20D (for some variety and fun... no bashing).

You know I agree with the basic advice of just get the K-x because... so many reasons. This has to be the hardest choice right now for a first time Pentax buyer, if the K20D is available to you new and at price near the K-x, that's a tough choice but...

Then I remembered one reason I bought the K20D it may be a long time before you can buy a true serious D300 type semi-pro camera for the price of the K20D; rumors were 10 months ago the new Pentax would be smaller I did not want smaller so Feb 09 I bought the K20D. The K20D is very solid feeling in your hands compared to the Sonys below FF, the K-x and many others, and that alone might make the deal. dSLR future is full of K-x's, soon you be able to get better than the K-x and even cheaper. So your future with photography will always have a K-x, but not a K20D type dSLR body (things are changing).

I say get a nice big K20D while you can and buy the awesome battery grip down the road and it will feel like no other camera in your hands, maybe? Use it a few years, you will enjoy it a lot, learn a lot, and really get value for your dollar as this is not an entry level dSLR. It has a lot of features hard core enthusiasts like, rear remote sensor, AF fine tuning, so many other tools for getting the shot, I always use the selectable AF point and its no trouble at all and sometimes a must have and the quciker the better. Durability like a shutter rated for 100,000+ shots

Also the life of the K20D has been extended a bit further by GodronBGood (sensor data scientist) a poster here who made a program to remove corner tint in low light and high ISO (over ISO2200) with the K20D, now if you use that program ISO3200 pics are not a problem in almost any light (they were good before but not in near dark type light). I don't have need for much more ISO than I have with the K20D honestly, although the K-x can shoot ISO6400 or higher its not of good enough quality for nature shooting like birds, you will lose too much detail, so... I also do a lot of landscape shooting and family shots for me and others, for these I never go over ISO400 and have a nice big flash, no need for ISO6400 for me unless it had the IQ of a dSLR at ISO100, nope so...

OK I am going to cheat and show you the pic of my K20D the day I got it, I bought the battery grip as well. Do you know how much it would cost today to get a body and grip this big with full sealing and built tough, that fits like a glove, feels like a tool, feels like you could hurt someone with it, and make the Sony and others (not the K-7 or big boy Nikon's/Canons) feel like a toy. Hey lets be honest they are all capable why not get a superb bargain while you can, the K-x dSLRs will be here in 3 years and at a lower price, no rush there. Can't say the same for the K20D types can you? This is Pentax top dSLR 8 months ago, the K-x has great high ISO but the K20D is a real semi-pro dSLR. Its a very solid choice IMO.

OK the D300 has worse high ISO than the D5000 And lets say the D5000 can AF a bit faster. which would you buy if you could get them for the same price and why?

Now you really need to go hold both and try them in your hands truth be told, which ever you like in your hands and after playing a bit with them is the right one.

I got a deal at my favorite local camera store that was closing and is closed

BTW you win either way and welcome to Pentax SLR forum
--
jamesm007,
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z77/jamesm700/
WSSA member 266PX

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
magomago Regular Member • Posts: 214

I have the K20, and my room mate has the K-x.

K20 pros: buttons buttons buttons. It is wonderful to have a button to do everything I want. I thought i wouldn't be able to adjust to so many (coming form a K100), but now I can't go back!

Kx pros: light light light, small small small. The video is pretty tight too, although it sucks battery like crazy and I wouldn't use it often. If you don't move much there isn't a jello effect, but i'm sure if you run around then things will quickly change (i'm honetsly not sure there).

K20 cons: I'm a high iso shooter naturally. I don't hesitate to push iso4000+ if it gets me the shot I want. he high iso on the K-x seems cleaner

Kx cons: missing a lot of basic features. No AF point control through the view finder, no weather seal (well i've come to accept it as basic ;)), lack of buttons and need to go through the menus, no TAv mode (I find myself using it a lot as its super nice), no cable release connection (need a remote). It is a relatively sparton camera with video tacked onto it.

Oh, the Kx image editor is pretty fun and interesting...better than the K20 for sure if you are into that

I would keep my K20 over the K7 because features and versatility matter more to me than some noiser shots.

Btw I got my K20 body a few months ago for 550 (actually, 547) NEW! You should have jumped ship a while back. The market for a used one isn't that great as I think the sellers are really demanding too much, but this was back before the K-x was released, so maybe the cheap Kx prices have depressed the K20 values (I was trying to aim for about 450, and everyone was trying to sell me at 550-600)

I'm actually finding the same thing with some lenses Rather than a cheap 18-55 WR kit....everyone is trying to sell them at 115-135 shipped...and they took advantage of the rebates!

fskhoo Regular Member • Posts: 250
jamesm007

jamesm007 wrote:

OK IMO for the K20D (for some variety and fun... no bashing).

You know I agree with the basic advice of just get the K-x because... so many reasons. This has to be the hardest choice right now for a first time Pentax buyer, if the K20D is available to you new and at price near the K-x, that's a tough choice but...

Then I remembered one reason I bought the K20D it may be a long time before you can buy a true serious D300 type semi-pro camera for the price of the K20D; rumors were 10 months ago the new Pentax would be smaller I did not want smaller so Feb 09 I bought the K20D. The K20D is very solid feeling in your hands compared to the Sonys below FF, the K-x and many others, and that alone might make the deal. dSLR future is full of K-x's, soon you be able to get better than the K-x and even cheaper. So your future with photography will always have a K-x, but not a K20D type dSLR body (things are changing).

I say get a nice big K20D while you can and buy the awesome battery grip down the road and it will feel like no other camera in your hands, maybe? Use it a few years, you will enjoy it a lot, learn a lot, and really get value for your dollar as this is not an entry level dSLR. It has a lot of features hard core enthusiasts like, rear remote sensor, AF fine tuning, so many other tools for getting the shot, I always use the selectable AF point and its no trouble at all and sometimes a must have and the quciker the better. Durability like a shutter rated for 100,000+ shots

Also the life of the K20D has been extended a bit further by GodronBGood (sensor data scientist) a poster here who made a program to remove corner tint in low light and high ISO (over ISO2200) with the K20D, now if you use that program ISO3200 pics are not a problem in almost any light (they were good before but not in near dark type light). I don't have need for much more ISO than I have with the K20D honestly, although the K-x can shoot ISO6400 or higher its not of good enough quality for nature shooting like birds, you will lose too much detail, so... I also do a lot of landscape shooting and family shots for me and others, for these I never go over ISO400 and have a nice big flash, no need for ISO6400 for me unless it had the IQ of a dSLR at ISO100, nope so...

OK I am going to cheat and show you the pic of my K20D the day I got it, I bought the battery grip as well. Do you know how much it would cost today to get a body and grip this big with full sealing and built tough, that fits like a glove, feels like a tool, feels like you could hurt someone with it, and make the Sony and others (not the K-7 or big boy Nikon's/Canons) feel like a toy. Hey lets be honest they are all capable why not get a superb bargain while you can, the K-x dSLRs will be here in 3 years and at a lower price, no rush there. Can't say the same for the K20D types can you? This is Pentax top dSLR 8 months ago, the K-x has great high ISO but the K20D is a real semi-pro dSLR. Its a very solid choice IMO.

OK the D300 has worse high ISO than the D5000 And lets say the D5000 can AF a bit faster. which would you buy if you could get them for the same price and why?

Now you really need to go hold both and try them in your hands truth be told, which ever you like in your hands and after playing a bit with them is the right one.

I got a deal at my favorite local camera store that was closing and is closed

BTW you win either way and welcome to Pentax SLR forum

Being owned K10D and K-x, I fully agreed with you on this. Go with the K20D if you can. It will outlast the K-x.
--

K10D,14f2.8,Tamron 18-250,35f2.Panasonic LC1,DMC-L1,Nikon FE2/50f1.4,Olympus C5060.

Charlie Self Veteran Member • Posts: 3,924

duber3 wrote:

I've got the K20D. I wouldn't trade it for the a Kx even with extra lenses. Not even close, in fact. Weather resistant, durable...it may not focus as fast in low light, and doesn't have video capability (which I won't use anyway), but has several features, including focus markings, that the Kx doesn't'

-- hide signature --
Re: You tell us what...

Thank everybody, I really appreciate all the information you gave me!!

What I didn't like whit my Alpha was the iso, the images was so soft, loose lot of details and the color, I found the color too flat, no punch even if I boosted the saturation to the max

What I liked was the live view, I think this was the fastest live view on the market

I will take the time to read again all post, I make my decision today
I will let you know what I bought

Another question, is the pentax 55-300 is better then the sony 75-300 that came whit the kit, the sony has a lot of PF

Thank!!

ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898

duber3 wrote:

What I didn't like whit my Alpha was the iso, the images was so soft, loose lot of details and the color, I found the color too flat, no punch even if I boosted the saturation to the max

If high ISO is what you want get the K-x.

K-x vs K20D is such a hard choice because many things have been improved since the release of the K20D: usable liveview, video, AF speed, fps, high ISO performance.

If you like the Sony liveview, you'll be disappointed by the K20D liveview. It is barely usable (no AF, crude display, blocky magnification).

OTOH, the K20D is build like a tank (compared to the Sony or the K-x), is weatherproof, has a lot of direct controls, a bigger and brighter viewfinder, optional grip, etc.

Akar Senior Member • Posts: 1,561

I suggest you K20D, which is a great camera. Don't forget the top LCD panel, which is very usable. Also selected AF point is a great feature when you shoot macro (recomposing is rather hard in such kind of photo).
Andrzej
--
'This is not that serious.. let's all have fun'
http://www.jazdzyk.nazwa.pl/akar/photo/intro.html Take a look!

pxpaulx Regular Member • Posts: 403

duber3 wrote:

What I liked was the live view, I think this was the fastest live view on the market

I will take the time to read again all post, I make my decision today
I will let you know what I bought

Another question, is the pentax 55-300 is better then the sony 75-300 that came whit the kit, the sony has a lot of PF

Thank!!

As an owner of both cameras, it sounds as though what you are looking for is answered more in the K-x. K20d liveview is not useable, they put it in because everyone else did, but I haven't used it but once or twice. The K-x liveview is quite useable in contrast to the k20, and you have AF (though slower than standard AF) directly with liveview on the Kx (including face detection option) - the Kx liveview at least match or likely exceed your sony a300 experience.

Image quality is pretty comparable between the two Pentax cameras, but the Kx wins in usable high ISO. AF is also faster on the Kx, and better in low light.

You also seemed perplexed by the fact these are going for similar prices - it does come down to the amount of time on the market - k20d will be hitting its' 2nd anniversary early next year, Kx hasn't hit 2 months on the market; K20d was originally a $1300 camera, in line with the current K7.

The 55-300 will be appreciably better than the sony 75-300. The wider starting field of view is actually very useful. Having held both of these lenses (and being an owner of the regular 55-300 version), I would classify the 75-300 as an entry level kit lens, while the 55-300 is mid-level optics in an entry level kit lens shell. Even though the 55-300 DA L version is Pentax's new 'kit version' of this lens, the build quality is still also better than the sony 75-300 as well.

ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898

pxpaulx wrote:

As an owner of both cameras, it sounds as though what you are looking for is answered more in the K-x. K20d liveview is not useable, they put it in because everyone else did, but I haven't used it but once or twice.

I used it on a tripod, sometimes it was just more comfortable to frame with LV. It worked well also to do live DOF preview. But it was otherwise very basic.

The K-x liveview is quite useable in contrast to the k20, and you have AF (though slower than standard AF) directly with liveview on the Kx (including face detection option) - the Kx liveview at least match or likely exceed your sony a300 experience.

The A300 has the advantage to be able to use phase detect in liveview, so it's much more usable for using it like a P&S. OTOH you don't get 100% coverage, it's not what the main sensor actually sees and you cannot magnify it for precise focusing.

Image quality is pretty comparable between the two Pentax cameras, but the Kx wins in usable high ISO. AF is also faster on the Kx, and better in low light.

It's faster but not always, I think the motor is faster on the K20D. But the K-x AF is less hesitant especially in low-light.

In the end the K20D is the more "serious" camera. It's better unless you really need to shoot often at ISO6400 and AF in very low light.

Well, I'm at the same point,

The guy at the store have demolish the Kx, which I would like to buy, He demolish it so bad that I'm speechless, He said that my Alpha 300, was way better then the Kx, the pic of the Kx wasn't that clean that was his point.

I would like to buy the K20 but it's a little bit too expensive, here in canada the price
of a Kx whit the 2 lens is 999, at the same price I have the K20 body only

Charlie Self Veteran Member • Posts: 3,924

duber3 wrote:

The guy at the store have demolish the Kx, which I would like to buy, He demolish it so bad that I'm speechless, He said that my Alpha 300, was way better then the Kx, the pic of the Kx wasn't that clean that was his point.

I would like to buy the K20 but it's a little bit too expensive, here in canada the price

Sounds like you got one of the total jackass sales types. Take a card in, use their camera and lens, shoot some samples, bring them home and check for yourself. From all I've heard, the Kx gives wonderful shots. I know my K20D does.

-- hide signature --
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663

duber3 wrote:

The pics are not clean? This is a bad situation and maybe why Pentax does not want its future in the hands of salesmen. The K-x has low noise from ISO200-12,800 compare it to any other APS size sensor dSLR. Take the advice given above and take a card and shoot some pics with the K-x make sure its set up right and shoot ISO200 through ISO 12800 do the same with the Sony and compare.

I don't feel like trying to sell you on it. So I will say this, if something about your purchase is not making you fully happy in your heart take the thing back to that sales guy and ask for your money back or exchange or whatever. But don't live with it becuase of preasure from some sales man. We have a Canon/Pentax shooter here who has a 5D, K-7 and I think a K20D and now really wants a K-x so bad he is standing out in the cold for hours shaking his tripod and making up stories of SR problems so he can find an excuse to return his K-7 and get a K-x (LOL Long story), well he does own them and does want a K-x because get this, of its low noise

Its a long term affair, maybe get a $50 kit lens off eBay and build your collection of lens over the years, like all of us. Lens are an investment and it takes time to buy each one for most of us not so rich people, if you really want it.

-- hide signature --
 jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads