Dlux4, 1:1, my test!

Started Dec 17, 2009 | Discussions
l_objectif
l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,401
Dlux4, 1:1, my test!

Today, I finally had a little time to test the new firmware with ratio 1:1!

First of all, I must say that I am very disappointed to find the 1:1 raw files different from the usual Dlux4 raw files. The only software I have that could open 1:1 raw files, one by one, was Capture One, upgraded to the version 4.8.3. Being used to Photoshop, I really dislike this program very much.

As I was shooting inside the museum and handheld, I used ISO 200. As a result, I had lots of noise!... I don’t know if this is due to the new firmware, to 1:1, or to Capture One, but with ISO 200, I had much more noise than when I normally shoot with ISO 400. All the following shots have been in “Noiseware Pro” before posting!

For the last B/W shot, I used ISO 80 (The subject was out door). The noise was much better, but still quite noisy!

As a result, I think I would prefer to shoot at 4/3 or 3/2 ratio, then crop to square frame! Unless there is something that I am missing!

I should also add that as I am always shooting in raw and working my shots in PS, the change in colors (if any) of the new firmware was not noticeable or important to me. As for AF, I couldn’t detect any difference!

-- hide signature --

Louis

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +12 more
Elliot H Senior Member • Posts: 1,604
Re: Dlux4, 1:1, my test!

1st 3 shots
outstanding

last
difficult under any circumstances
but good try

Tony Wakefield
Tony Wakefield Regular Member • Posts: 140

I think all the shots are great! How come mine never come out like that ;(

P Sibbing Junior Member • Posts: 34

Strange,

Now that screenmakers are shifting to 16:9 format the Photo industrie is offering a 1: 1 format. Just thrown my old CRT out.

bosjohn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,890

L_Objectif wrote:

As a result, I think I would prefer to shoot at 4/3 or 3/2 ratio, then crop to square frame! Unless there is something that I am missing!

Louis

He he its kinda like a revers on the old rolleiflex method. We were stuck with a square format but we all knew that in the darkroom most of our negatives would be printed rectangular because a its more dynamic and be printing paper doesn't come in square sizes or back then it didn't at least not that I ever saw.

Some of us even went to the extreme of marking four lines on the ground glass to indicate the six four five formate both horizontally and vertically.
--
bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@comcast.net

Blurto Regular Member • Posts: 446
Louis

Interesting comments Louis. I'm usually quick to update firmware but I might wait a while on this one. I don't really need 1:1 and I'm happy enough with the way the camera works as it is. It is weird that they have different RAW files coming from the same camera. I would even go so far as to say unacceptable.

Some nice enough pictures though regardless of the problems.
--
Cheers,
Barry.

Blurto's gear list:Blurto's gear list
Leica M9
l_objectif
OP l_objectif Forum Pro • Posts: 21,401
Elliot

Elliot H wrote:

1st 3 shots
outstanding

last
difficult under any circumstances
but good try

Thank you very much, Elliot!

You are absolutely right. This fellow is made of chrome or something like that! It is very light silvery color with all the reflections around like in a mirror!...

Regards,
--
Louis

Leica D-LUX 3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D300 +12 more
l_objectif
Tony

Tony Wakefield wrote:

I think all the shots are great! How come mine never come out like that ;(

Thank you, Tony. The answer to your question is "Photoshop"!...
--
Louis

l_objectif
P Sibbing

P Sibbing wrote:

Strange,

Now that screenmakers are shifting to 16:9 format the Photo industrie is offering a 1: 1 format. Just thrown my old CRT out.

LOL!...
--
Louis

l_objectif
Barry.

Blurto wrote:

Interesting comments Louis. I'm usually quick to update firmware but I might wait a while on this one. I don't really need 1:1 and I'm happy enough with the way the camera works as it is. It is weird that they have different RAW files coming for the same camera. I would even go so far as to say unacceptable.

The last time we had an update for Dlux4, I really didn't notice any difference. Maybe for my type of shooting, the difference is zero!?...

I am completely with you; this IS unacceptable from Leica to give us 2 different raw files in the same camera! Now that they withdrew the firmware, I hope they are going to do a BIG correction!... This is again one of those things from Leica that most of us can't get it!...

Some nice enough pictures though regardless of the problems.

Thank you very much, Barry.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Barry.

-- hide signature --

Louis

Edward48
Edward48 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,155
Re: Barry.

L_Objectif wrote:

I am completely with you; this IS unacceptable from Leica to give us 2 different raw files in the same camera! Now that they withdrew the firmware, I hope they are going to do a BIG correction!... This is again one of those things from Leica that most of us can't get it!...

Louis, I quite like challenge of composing & shooting in 1:1 format, it reminds me of the TLR cameras we used in college.

But as to the different RAW file nonsense, it is exactly the same with the LX3! I have to take them into the SilkyPix app which came with the camera, which I don't much like. I've also noticed a slightly shorter battery life, but thought I'd miscalculated, but maybe not.

Sorry for dropping a big moan into your post Louis, but I'm in grumpy mode this afternoon

All the best
Mike

Edward48's gear list:Edward48's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 +1 more
l_objectif
Mike

Edward48 wrote:

Louis, I quite like challenge of composing & shooting in 1:1 format, it reminds me of the TLR cameras we used in college.

Mike, I don't dislike 1:1 and I am glad we have the choice; if only it worked right!

But as to the different RAW file nonsense, it is exactly the same with the LX3! I have to take them into the SilkyPix app which came with the camera, which I don't much like.

This is my major complaint!... Also, I don't like Adobe taking advantage of the situation. I have PS CS2 and I can only work till ACR version 5.3. Above version 53, you must have the latest versions of Adobe, meaning around $700!... That means I may not be able to use ACR for my future cameras, unless I buy a new version of PS!... I think this is just crazy

I've also noticed a slightly shorter battery life, but thought I'd miscalculated, but maybe not.

I definitely noticed that! After upgrading the firmware, I could only take about 50 shots before my fully charged battery was drained!... Maybe it wasn't as charged as I thought, but I will see with another charged battery!

Sorry for dropping a big moan into your post Louis, but I'm in grumpy mode this afternoon

Mike, I am the first to moan!... We have issues to moan about. I only hope someone is listening to us .

Best regards,
--
Louis

Edward48
Re: Mike

L_Objectif wrote:

I have PS CS2 and I can only work till ACR version 5.3. Above version 53, you must have the latest versions of Adobe, meaning around $700!... That means I may not be able to use ACR for my future cameras, unless I buy a new version of PS!... I think this is just crazy

Louis, I have CS4 & ACR 5.5 and it still doesn't work on the 1:1 RAW files!

Mike
--

http://mikepics.zenfolio.com/

A weekend away in B/W:
http://mikepics.zenfolio.com/p884714204

G20 protest gallery:
http://mikepics.zenfolio.com/p486940421

One picture a day:
http://mikepics.zenfolio.com/p506878824

Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 +1 more
l_objectif

Edward48 wrote:

But there is a big possibillity that ACR 5.6 or so would be compatible with 1:1 raw file.... The problem is that those who don't have CS4 can not use any ACR over 5.3!... This is the catch with Adobe that I find unacceptable!
--
Louis

Edward48

L_Objectif wrote:

Edward48 wrote:

But there is a big possibillity that ACR 5.6 or so would be compatible with 1:1 raw file.... The problem is that those who don't have CS4 can not use any ACR over 5.3!... This is the catch with Adobe that I find unacceptable!

Quite. I find the constant, regular upgrade cycle a form of legalised highway robbery.

Mike

allamande
allamande Veteran Member • Posts: 3,062

Quite. I find the constant, regular upgrade cycle a form of legalised highway robbery.

How else are they all going to stay in business? LOL...

allamande
allamande Veteran Member • Posts: 3,062
Louis

These all look great (maybe you should have left the noise alone for us to judge how bad it is :))

Seriously though, I didn't understand if the noise you are talking about is with 1:1 RAW alone, or do you see it with other formats? Are jpegs different/same for the other formats? I don't know if you tested all or if the problem is confined to 1:1. (I realize your subject line only mentions 1:1, but still, please clarify.)

Thanks. BTW, I talked to Leica regarding firmware being off the website. They said the reason was the problem with the French version (you French always creating trouble!!!) and they pulled all versions off to fix the glitch.

All the best,
Ece

l_objectif
Ece

allamande wrote:

These all look great (maybe you should have left the noise alone for us to judge how bad it is :))

It was really bad; I just couldn't post them as they were. (And the texture of the fabrics on the wall did not help at all!)

Seriously though, I didn't understand if the noise you are talking about is with 1:1 RAW alone, or do you see it with other formats? Are jpegs different/same for the other formats? I don't know if you tested all or if the problem is confined to 1:1. (I realize your subject line only mentions 1:1, but still, please clarify.)

Yes dear, Madame; you are absolutely right. I will make more tests whenever I have a little time and will post!

Thanks. BTW, I talked to Leica regarding firmware being off the website. They said the reason was the problem with the French version and they pulled all versions off to fix the glitch.

Dear Ece, I was hoping that the historic "issues" between French and Germans would be over by now! But you never know! I only hope the bad translation from German into French was just an accident!...

(you French always creating trouble!!!)

let me offer you the second shot of this post!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=33997083

very best regards,
--
Louis

John Crawley
John Crawley Senior Member • Posts: 1,374

Help me find the noise?

This whole noise issue drive me crazy.; did you ever shoot with film? There was grain. There was texture when you printed. I don't see the noise you are talking about.

Your shots look great to me. Crisp, focused and well composed. Noise???? I don't think so.

John Crawley
Lost Somewhere in Texas

John Crawley's gear list:John Crawley's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Leica X Vario Leica Q Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Fujifilm X100F
Edward48

allamande wrote:

How else are they all going to stay in business? LOL...

Yes, you are right Ece. You will have to forgive me, I'm being an old misery guts.
But it still doesn't make it any more agreeable.

Mike
--

http://mikepics.zenfolio.com/

A weekend away in B/W:
http://mikepics.zenfolio.com/p884714204

G20 protest gallery:
http://mikepics.zenfolio.com/p486940421

One picture a day:
http://mikepics.zenfolio.com/p506878824

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads