Pentax - 'weather-resistant' 100mm f/2.8 macro lens announced?

Started Dec 9, 2009 | Discussions
chirpy Forum Member • Posts: 76
Pentax - 'weather-resistant' 100mm f/2.8 macro lens announced?

Amateur Photographer just posted on their RSS feed the following title:

"Pentax has today unveiled a 'weather-resistant' 100mm f/2.8 macro lens designed for use on film and digital SLRs. "

The story link doesn't go anywhere at the moment, though:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/pentax_unwraps_weatherresistant_macro_lens_news_292726.html?aff=rss
--
Jonathan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chirpy_uk/

brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Re: Pentax - 'weather-resistant' 100mm f/2.8 macro lens announced?

chirpy wrote:

Amateur Photographer just posted on their RSS feed the following title:

"Pentax has today unveiled a 'weather-resistant' 100mm f/2.8 macro lens designed for use on film and digital SLRs. "

The story link doesn't go anywhere at the moment, though:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/pentax_unwraps_weatherresistant_macro_lens_news_292726.html?aff=rss

A quote from the News Editor at Amateur Photographer, Photography Forums: "Apologies: Pentax issued this in error. Please check back later..."

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/850708/Main/850689/#Post850708

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Ron ~ Retired.

OP chirpy Forum Member • Posts: 76

Just found that. Looks like AP jumped the gun on the 100mm Macro WR announcement

Might just be interested in it.
--
Jonathan

leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
photo already posted

last week...some say it's a photoshop job...others think it will be made ...will see ???
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Ursinho73 Regular Member • Posts: 431
Re:100/2.8 macro WR photo already posted

Rumour is wrong and photo is faked. Already confirmed a week ago by Pentax D/A/CH:
http://www.dslr-forum.de/showpost.php?p=5917164&postcount=22

Regards,
Hannes

Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462

Photo is faked, but lens is coming.
--
Take care
R
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo

yana36 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

Ursinho73 wrote:

Rumour is wrong and photo is faked. Already confirmed a week ago by Pentax D/A/CH:

It's not rumor. DFA100 macro WR will be real very soon.

Peter Budd
Peter Budd Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

What I find interesting is that if this is true why is it also for film camera's if Pentax are not going to launch a FF camera.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Peter Budd's gear list:Peter Budd's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +10 more

Don't hold your breath here.

To my knowledge, the optical formula is the very same as in the D FA 100 f/2.8 Macro - which introduced a new optical design, different from the old 100 f/2.8 Macro. Now, this optical formula is good. No need to change it. Would be too expensive to develop a new optical formula too...

So what they have done, basically, is taking the current optical blue print from the D FA 100 Macro and put it into a new exterior design, with new styling and some enhancements such as weather sealing. Makes perfect sense for me, weather sealed macro lens for weather sealed bodies... A nice match for the K-7.

The existing optical formula from the D FA 100 Macro is for 24x36. No need to change it for APS-C because it works so good on APS-C anyway. Releasing a new weather sealed version of the D FA 100 Macro, instead of developing a totally new APS-C oriented telephoto macro, is not automatically a sign of a 24x36 digital coming soon. It was simply the most cost efficient way to do it, and the D FA 100 needed an update!

-- hide signature --
janneman02 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733
Oh cool

yana36 wrote:

Ursinho73 wrote:

It's not rumor. DFA100 macro WR will be real very soon.

Now I can crawl for bugs in the rain !!!

Hmmm
Should I be happy about that???
--

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

I've had it confirmed to me by a very reliable retailer that it will be announced today

Just have to wait a few hours.
--
Jonathan

Peter Jonkman Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

Roland Mabo wrote:

Don't hold your breath here.

To my knowledge, the optical formula is the very same as in the D FA 100 f/2.8 Macro - which introduced a new optical design, different from the old 100 f/2.8 Macro. Now, this optical formula is good. No need to change it. Would be too expensive to develop a new optical formula too...

So what they have done, basically, is taking the current optical blue print from the D FA 100 Macro and put it into a new exterior design, with new styling and some enhancements such as weather sealing. Makes perfect sense for me, weather sealed macro lens for weather sealed bodies... A nice match for the K-7.

The existing optical formula from the D FA 100 Macro is for 24x36. No need to change it for APS-C because it works so good on APS-C anyway. Releasing a new weather sealed version of the D FA 100 Macro, instead of developing a totally new APS-C oriented telephoto macro, is not automatically a sign of a 24x36 digital coming soon. It was simply the most cost efficient way to do it, and the D FA 100 needed an update!

Roland, come on, 100% of the text you wrote is just an example of educated guesswork. You may be right, but it's still guesswork.

ddldave Regular Member • Posts: 119

Already been debunked in the real Pentax Forums, there were different pictures that don't add-up and using the focusing ring of the DA 35 and the DFA 50 Macro.

ManuH
ManuH Veteran Member • Posts: 3,898

chirpy wrote:

I've had it confirmed to me by a very reliable retailer that it will be announced today

That's OK just a bit of a boring release, it's one of the lens I don't care too much for WR, I don't do macros in a pouring rain anyway. Otherwise this new release seems to point the direction Pentax is taking, releasing more and more WR lenses, even at the kit level. One I would hope for is the DA 55-300mm. But from now on, something is telling me that they will release FF lenses only. And the D-FA 100mm has always been a FF lens, so no risk here.

richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,970

ddldave wrote:

Already been debunked in the real Pentax Forums, there were different pictures that don't add-up and using the focusing ring of the DA 35 and the DFA 50 Macro.

There is a picture around that has clearly been photoshopped, but that doesn't prove some kind of lens is not coming. Maybe someone tried to work out what one might look like, who knows what makes people do these things.

An obvious photoshop faked mockup showing me giving a famous politician a wedgie might be a double bluff, or misdirection. It doesn't prove I don't nevertheless have secret evil plans to... at the... wait, cancel that, you heard nothing. Nothing.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more

The 100 Macro is an excellent lens for other areas of photography than macro.
Macro lenses aren't just macro lenses, they are good for more than that.

I'm confident that the DA 55-300 will come out in WR fashion next year, leaving the DA L 55-300 as a budget option.

And yes, more WR lenses from Pentax.

Note that WR means a simpler weather sealing than he DA Star has, but it is still effecient. My prediction is that next year we will see the DA 14 f/2.8 WR and 12-24 f/ WR, as well as the 10-17 fisheyezoom as WR. And most likely the 17-70 as true WR.

-- hide signature --

ManuH wrote:

chirpy wrote:

That's OK just a bit of a boring release, it's one of the lens I don't care too much for WR, I don't do macros in a pouring rain anyway. Otherwise this new release seems to point the direction Pentax is taking, releasing more and more

DFA100 is good lens for portrait and any objects.
Good bokeh and good (not razor) sharp.

The D FA 50 and 100 shares similar design.

Introducing a new 100 Macro with design elements inspired by the DA 35 Macro would be a logical choice and also showing a consistent design style.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads