Olympus 510 & The Salton Sea

Started Dec 8, 2009 | Discussions
Bob.R Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Olympus 510 & The Salton Sea

Just wanted to share a few recent images from the Salton Sea using the E-510 + kit lens....still one of my favorite cameras for late afternoon/sunset images....

Bob
http://www.pbase.com/olybob

holy_oly Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: Olympus 510 & The Salton Sea

Incredible shots! The tonality and colors are superb. I think the credit goes to the photographer not the camera. Really enjoyed the series.

Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,828

Thank you for the beautiful images. The Salton Sea is one of my favorite places for photo safaris. I like the mud volcanoes and ghost towns.

vincent filomena
vincent filomena Veteran Member • Posts: 5,106

Sharp, stunning shots - the 510 just keeps on giving- when a Master is using it !

Thanks Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
miami mike Forum Member • Posts: 82

Great shots - are you using ND Grads in any of them or HDR? Curious b/c I am seriously consdering getting a couple grads. If you are using something could you post what brand it is?

-- hide signature --

-Mike

OP Bob.R Contributing Member • Posts: 623
ND Grads/HDR

miami mike wrote:

Great shots - are you using ND Grads in any of them or HDR? Curious b/c I am seriously consdering getting a couple grads. If you are using something could you post what brand it is?

Thanks Mike. These were all single exposure jpeg's...no grads or HDR. Just some PP in Photoshop. I rarely use grads...I like to keep my setup as simple as possible. However, once in a while I will extract multiple exposures from a RAW file and process them HDR if the scene warrants it

-- hide signature --
Thank you Oly & Vjim
-- hide signature --

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Thank you for the beautiful images. The Salton Sea is one of my favorite places for photo safaris. I like the mud volcanoes and ghost towns.

Thanks. I agree, the Salton Sea is a fun place to shoot. It has quite a unique mix of landscape opps and some interesting and old (abandoned) historical areas as well
--
Bob

billyd Regular Member • Posts: 471

Excellent work. Have to make it out there one day. Thanks for posting.
--
Bill D.
http://billd.smugmug.com/

Pikme Senior Member • Posts: 2,176
oh, no, not olympus colors again!

People will argue about 'olympus colors' until the cows come home, but I put up with whatever faults there are with olympus because I can't get as natural 'nature colors' with other cameras. I used to think Olympus had better white balance, but now i wonder if it has 'worse' white balance - 'worse' because it isn't good enough to neutralize the colors of the late afternoon winter sun....

For me, it is always easier to neutralize colorcasts myself when I want neutral, but it is nearly impossible to put in the right 'natural' color casts if the camera has already pre-neutralized the white balance. (speaking as a frustrated LX3 owner)

Perfect example is number 3 - the subtle but very lovely pink and red tones sprinkled about in the photo. That is my favorite of this set.

Anyway, love these compositions and colors - but then, I'm long time fan of your images on pbase.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

ernieF Senior Member • Posts: 1,591

Bob; those are some really cool shots. I've heard of the Salton Sea many times but never really new what it looked like-- these shots are worth several thousand words. Thanks for posting. Is there a body of water associated with this area or just salt soaked soils? Or, maybe the water rises and falls seasonally?

Cheers. Craig

ernieF's gear list:ernieF's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +5 more
A Few Shots of the Water

ernieF wrote:

Bob; those are some really cool shots. I've heard of the Salton Sea many times but never really new what it looked like-- these shots are worth several thousand words. Thanks for posting. Is there a body of water associated with this area or just salt soaked soils? Or, maybe the water rises and falls seasonally?

Cheers. Craig

Thanks Craig. Here are a few shots of the water. The Salton Sea is actually the largest inland body of water in California...35 miles long x 15 miles wide. The water levels do tend to rise in the winter and fall from evaporation during the very hot summers

-- hide signature --
MarcoInDC Contributing Member • Posts: 969

Whoa. Example 1 for "A camera is just a tool."

You have incredible vision and captured several moments that make me feel like I was there but at the same time make me feel angry that I wasn't.

Please, share more photos!

marco

-- hide signature --

Experience is what you get seconds after you need it.

Re: oh, no, not olympus colors again!

Hi Roberto,

I agree...from my experience with the 510, the white balance during the day is usually pretty inconsistent and the images often have a rather heavy yellow/green color cast to them. However, in the morning and late afternoon, the 510 seems to capture the most correct and pleasing colors of any camera I own. I think that Olympus E cameras are really unique in this regard. I've also found that it has the some of the best focus performance in those lower light conditions as well. Not sure if this is common to all 510's or I just happen to get lucky with my copy. At any rate it's become my camera of choice during the "magic" hours.

Thank you for the compliment regarding the Salton Sea images and on my Pbase galleries
--
Bob

Thanks Bill
-- hide signature --
Joesiv Veteran Member • Posts: 5,497
Re: oh, no, not olympus colors again!

Bob.R wrote:

Hi Roberto,

I agree...from my experience with the 510, the white balance during the day is usually pretty inconsistent and the images often have a rather heavy yellow/green color cast to them. However, in the morning and late afternoon, the 510 seems to capture the most correct and pleasing colors of any camera I own. I think that Olympus E cameras are really unique in this regard. I've also found that it has the some of the best focus performance in those lower light conditions as well. Not sure if this is common to all 510's or I just happen to get lucky with my copy. At any rate it's become my camera of choice during the "magic" hours.

Yeah beautiful shots. Goes to show that waiting for the shot is more important than having the best equipment.

By the way, I also find the center point to be very good even in low light.

-- hide signature --

Cloverdale, B.C., Canada
Olympus e-510 L1
http://www.joesiv.com

Joesiv's gear list:Joesiv's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus E-510 Nikon D750 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +7 more
Scanlon Regular Member • Posts: 191

Great shots. I also have the E-510. Despite its shortcomings, it is capable of great photos, as you have aptly demonstated. Could I ask what aperture and mode ( AP, SP, M, etc.) you used to get that sharpness? Well done!
Ron

AnandaSim Forum Pro • Posts: 13,422

Nice. Really Nice. And thanks for posting.
--

Ananda
http://anandasim.mp

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-510 +15 more
trooplewis Senior Member • Posts: 1,626

Fantastic shots. I've lived in So Calif all my life and have never seen the Salton Sea.

I'm guessing it rose a few feet this week...
--
I'll post some new POTD's if you guys will submit some images! potdgroup.com

malim Contributing Member • Posts: 509

wow so dramatic... google map this place and it look huge.. is it actually a salt water lake and it dried up?
--
malim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads