Final Verdict? A550 IQ?

Started Dec 5, 2009 | Discussions
KingDon Senior Member • Posts: 1,132
Final Verdict? A550 IQ?

Now that we have all the data out, the final verdict is?

PierreChris Senior Member • Posts: 1,103
Re: Final Verdict? A550 IQ?

I would like to see Carl review on the A500 first, than maybe we can evaluate these two camera's, they are only minor differences, but one can not without looking at both for an evaluation IMO.

Tuputam Contributing Member • Posts: 795

Here is mine: We had a thread on how A550 (at least the camera jpeg) falls a bit short of D90/Kx and about smearing of reds by normal NR (in-camera jpeg), but we never did justice to A550. That is, IR images also show A550’s high ISO performance, even the jpegs straight out of camera, still equals and/or is better than most current/previous DSLRs. (though I still hope for a FW upgrade that fixes red smearing by the default NR)

A550 is on the left in all samples below….

Vs Olympus E-620 (ISO 3200)

Vs Sony A380 (ISO 3200)

Vs A700 (v2 fw?) (ISO 6400)

Vs Pentax K7 (ISO 6400)

Vs Canon 50D (ISO 6400)

Vs Canon 500D (T1i) ISO 6400

Vs Nikon D300s (ISO 6400) *

Vs Canon 7D (ISO 6400)

Michel J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,009

You can know more here, by a similar thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=33858980

Regards,
--
Michel J

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +10 more

PierreChris wrote:

I would like to see Carl review on the A500 first...

You keep mentioning Carl as if he is some infallible authority. Regardless of what “Carl” comes up, images that I posted of A550 vs A500 will stand http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/a550-vs-a500-iq-iso_topic55811.html

flakin stephen Contributing Member • Posts: 752

Caveats and doses of salts aside, I think this is quite impressive stuff which shows Sony doing well in the leapfrogging which is inevitable in this kind of game.

Actually if the red smear is the only way to get rid of the blotchiness (though I'm not saying it is), I'd go for red smear.

cheers
Flakey
--
flakey

Danel Senior Member • Posts: 2,905
To answer your question: The verdict is...

that the A5xx cameras do pretty well versus the competition. While they might not have the absolute best JPEG quality at all ISO settings, they are now in the same ballpark as the Canikon cameras of similar price, slightly beating some, and being slightly beat by others. So close, that without major pixel peeping it would be difficult to tell the difference most of the time. I have been unable to duplicate the IR samples with the total red channel wipe out using my A500. I think one would have to be shooting exactly the same shade of red under exactly the same conditions to duplicate it.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Re: To answer your question: The verdict is...

Danel wrote:

that the A5xx cameras do pretty well versus the competition. While they might not have the absolute best JPEG quality at all ISO settings, they are now in the same ballpark as the Canikon cameras of similar price, slightly beating some, and being slightly beat by others. So close, that without major pixel peeping it would be difficult to tell the difference most of the time. I have been unable to duplicate the IR samples with the total red channel wipe out using my A500. I think one would have to be shooting exactly the same shade of red under exactly the same conditions to duplicate it.

I didn't see red channel wipe out every time either, but still a FW would be nice. There is a room for improvement, at least no NR for jpeg as an option should be there. Sony never issued a FW for A2xx/A3xx, A900, A800 so I am not holding my breadth. It appears once the cameras start shipping, Sony is done with them. A700 was exception.

Danel Senior Member • Posts: 2,905
Re: To answer your question: The verdict is...

Tuputam wrote:

Danel wrote:

I didn't see red channel wipe out every time either, but still a FW would be nice. There is a room for improvement, at least no NR for jpeg as an option should be there. Sony never issued a FW for A2xx/A3xx, A900, A800 so I am not holding my breadth. It appears once the cameras start shipping, Sony is done with them. A700 was exception.

True enough. When the A700 came out it was the Sony "Flagship" camera for quite a while and it was getting hammered in the forums for no NR off. Thus all of the firmware updates. I agree that there is an issue with the red channel in certain situations. The IR examples proved that. I just haven't seen it yet with my A500. Some time soon I am going to take a bunch of red photo samples to see if I can make it happen just for the heck of it.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads