New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

Started Dec 3, 2009 | Discussions
kalamarios Regular Member • Posts: 350
New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

Is this old news?

I am particularly interested on the 14/2.8 and the monster 200-600-equivalent(!) telephoto!

Next to the 45-200 for size comparison:

Clyde Coman Contributing Member • Posts: 817
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

Yes a little dated about 2 monts ago. I too am looking for the 100-300mm. I use the oly Tcon17 teleconverter with the 52mm to 55mm step up ring. It works pretty good but is a tiring to hold on such a small camera.

 Clyde Coman's gear list:Clyde Coman's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1
iharley Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

Thanks for sharing. I must have also missed the information about the new lenses.

 iharley's gear list:iharley's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Noopz Regular Member • Posts: 381
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

Is it just me, or is there no filter thread on the 100-300?

osloray
osloray Veteran Member • Posts: 4,834
New to me

I have missed this news! I was hoping for a 12 mm pancake for the GF 1 I plan to get, but the 14 mm pancake will be a good WA in addition to the 45 mm. Maybe later the 20 mm. Looking good.

I will avoid all the zooms, with the GF 1 small and easy-to-carry is the goal. I have zooms for my E3.
--
Raymond
http://www.bildebank.com

 osloray's gear list:osloray's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
G1Houston Senior Member • Posts: 2,772
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

kalamarios wrote:

Is this old news?

I am particularly interested on the 14/2.8 and the monster 200-600-equivalent(!) telephoto!

The 14-45 kit lens is not big and at the wide end, it is a nice 14/3.5 lens. I thus think that what we really need is a 12mm or 10mm prime lens that is small and is cheaper than the 7-14.

 G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +6 more
nikclick Contributing Member • Posts: 796
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

G1Houston wrote:

The 14-45 kit lens is not big and at the wide end, it is a nice 14/3.5 lens. I thus think that what we really need is a 12mm or 10mm prime lens that is small and is cheaper than the 7-14.

Yeh so many people have said that. We have 14 covered three ways ALREADY by the 14-45, the 14-140, and the 7-14.

Enough 14 already!

Not enough nice wide lenses - only the very expensive 7-14.

A 9 or 10 would be good, and I also hear people asking for 12.

If the Olympus 9-18 is good, it is going to steal the bulk of the wide angle lens market from Panasonic.

ajmeeker Contributing Member • Posts: 893
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

IMO the 8mm is the only one that's really exciting.

Like what's been said, 14mm is covered already by 3 lenses, the 100-300 seems interesting for those who don't already have SLR's with telephoto lenses, and the 14 f/2.8..meh.

Really what i'd like to see is a 40-50mm f/1.4ish lens thats about the size of the 14-45 or 45 macro.

G1Houston Senior Member • Posts: 2,772
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

ajmeeker wrote:

Like what's been said, 14mm is covered already by 3 lenses, the 100-300 seems

If you count the one for EP-1, then there are four already. 10mm would be very interesting as it is a very useful fl in the film days for PJ. To go any wider, it is hard to get distortion-free images, if you plan to photograph people with it.

It is possible that the Olym 9-18 will be small and cheap to fill the gap. The 7-14 is way too expensive and not everyone needs/wants super wide all the time to justify the high cost. A 9-18 would be more versatile, and hopefully cheaper.

 G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +6 more
julieng
julieng Contributing Member • Posts: 965
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

ajmeeker wrote:

Like what's been said, 14mm is covered already by 3 lenses, the 100-300 seems interesting for those who don't already have SLR's with telephoto lenses, and the 14 f/2.8..meh.

Depends on price and size, but having a compact 600mm equivalent is interesting to those loving tele angles. Not pockatable by any stretch of the imagination, but sound for traveling light.

Really what i'd like to see is a 40-50mm f/1.4ish lens thats about the size of the 14-45 or 45 macro.

YES!!
And also a 85mm f/1.8ish
Both with O.I.S. due to the more tele angle than the 20mm

 julieng's gear list:julieng's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Alkan Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

A 12mm or even 10mm would be fantastic, I think Olympus said they were going to do a 12mm but not until 2011 which is madness.

I agree that a 14 just won't cut it, after the 20mm f/1.7 I was hoping Panasonic were going to continue to be a bit more daring but I think they dropped the ball on this one.

Right now, I'm using the ridiculous combination of a 10mm c mount lens on the GF1 to get my wide angle kicks

It's fun.. but it's not a proper solution.

Oh well - back to drooling over the 18mm and 21mm Zuiko OM lenses on ebay....

-- hide signature --
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,029
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

Noopz wrote:

Is it just me, or is there no filter thread on the 100-300?

I suspect that mock-up won't take a passable photo even with said filter snuggly in place

-- hide signature --

-CW

よしよし、今日も生きのいい魂が手に入ったな

 Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +28 more
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,029
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

ajmeeker wrote:

IMO the 8mm is the only one that's really exciting.

Well that makes two of us! LOL!

With the GF1 + face detection (I tried it with my FE on my Canon 5D2, and the face detection works pretty well out to the edges even), that will make for a killer indoor/party/candid lens. #1 on my list for sure.

-- hide signature --

-CW

よしよし、今日も生きのいい魂が手に入ったな

 Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +28 more
loksi Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

I think these images may be of display or 'mock-up' lenses and not the final production copies. They will likely be sold with the provision of filter threads

Noopz wrote:

Is it just me, or is there no filter thread on the 100-300?

 loksi's gear list:loksi's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Leica SL (Typ 601) +2 more
Jay Gloab Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

loksi wrote:

I think these images may be of display or 'mock-up' lenses and not the final production copies. They will likely be sold with the provision of filter threads

Noopz wrote:

Is it just me, or is there no filter thread on the 100-300?

Definitely a mockup.

Look at the focal length mark -- it's at 200mm but the front element isn't extended at all.
--
-Jay

http://flickr.com/photos/48504267@N00/

BigBarney Senior Member • Posts: 2,722
Don't get too excited too quickly...

kalamarios wrote:

Is this old news?

Yes.

I am particularly interested on the 14/2.8 and the monster 200-600-equivalent(!) telephoto!

These three lenses were only ever shown as mock-ups with the announcement that they would be released by Panasonic at some undisclosed date in the year 2010. You may have to wait for another 12 months before you can buy one.

julieng
julieng Contributing Member • Posts: 965
Re: Don't get too excited too quickly...

BigBarney wrote:

These three lenses were only ever shown as mock-ups with the announcement that they would be released by Panasonic at some undisclosed date in the year 2010. You may have to wait for another 12 months before you can buy one.

Let the R&D get it right, not half-baked, even if that means a long wait.

 julieng's gear list:julieng's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
Ehrik Veteran Member • Posts: 8,014
Fast primes with OIS

julieng wrote:

Depends on price and size, but having a compact 600mm equivalent is interesting to those loving tele angles. Not pockatable by any stretch of the imagination, but sound for traveling light.

Really what i'd like to see is a 40-50mm f/1.4ish lens thats about the size of the 14-45 or 45 macro.

YES!!
And also a 85mm f/1.8ish
Both with O.I.S. due to the more tele angle than the 20mm

Unfortunately, it seems unlikely such fast lenses will have OIS. I know of only one lens faster than f/2.8 that has IS and that is a huge 200/2 by Canon IIRC. One reason why sensor IS makes sense.

Jay Gloab Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: Fast primes with OIS

Ehrik wrote:

julieng wrote:

Depends on price and size, but having a compact 600mm equivalent is interesting to those loving tele angles. Not pockatable by any stretch of the imagination, but sound for traveling light.

Really what i'd like to see is a 40-50mm f/1.4ish lens thats about the size of the 14-45 or 45 macro.

YES!!
And also a 85mm f/1.8ish
Both with O.I.S. due to the more tele angle than the 20mm

Unfortunately, it seems unlikely such fast lenses will have OIS. I know of only one lens faster than f/2.8 that has IS and that is a huge 200/2 by Canon IIRC. One reason why sensor IS makes sense.

Would the IS elements for a fast lens have to be larger, and thus heavier and harder to move? I gather that the length of the lens doesn't factor into this?
--
-Jay

http://flickr.com/photos/48504267@N00/

FredB Contributing Member • Posts: 828
Re: New Panasonic 8/3.5, 14/2.8, 100-300/4.0-5.6

I believe Oly will be providing the 9-18 sometime next year. I know it is not a prime .. but should be less than the 7-14
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30939186@N04/

 FredB's gear list:FredB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads