rechargable batteries with k-x

Started Nov 29, 2009 | Discussions
mlr123 New Member • Posts: 16
rechargable batteries with k-x

Thanks to comments from people on the site I bought a k-x and have been extremely pleased with the picture quality.

Unfortunately I have run into the often mentioned battery problem that seems even worse than reported. I bought a new set of Kodak 2500 mAh. They lasted 30 shots without a flash. I have a set of relatively new rayovac that I had recharged and used in another camera maybe 5-6 times and it took about 50-60 before the camera started indicating empty and my picture taking had stopped anyway. (it didn't actually say battery depleted)

This seems worse than people have been reported. I would like to have tested it more but people have commented on this site the B&H won't take cameras back iif there are more than 200 shots and I am up to 170.

My question is: Is this very poor performance likely due to the fact that this was the first time the batteries were used or is the camera defective? Should I take it back to B&H now and try to exchange it or just tough it out and see what happens?

Any advice??

Thanks in advance.

frunze Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: rechargable batteries with k-x

mlr123 wrote:

My question is: Is this very poor performance likely due to the fact that this was the first time the batteries were used or is the camera defective? Should I take it back to B&H now and try to exchange it or just tough it out and see what happens?

Any advice??

Thanks in advance.

Hi:

Please note that not any type of NiMh batteries will work with the K-x because not all types of NiMh batteries have the same ability to supply the current the way the camera uses it.

To rule out the batteries as an issue, try using Sanyo eneloops charged with a Sanyo eneloop charger in the camera. In some places, Pentax distributes eneloops with the camera instead of the Energizer Lithiums, so they have the de-facto Pentax seal of approval for use with K-x. It's like Pentax saying: if you want to use NiMh's with the K-x, use eneloops - they are known to work reliably.

If it still doesn't work with eneloops, then you may have a problem unit. But I think that is unlikely.

And remember, when changing batteries, to give the camera a minute to figure out what batteries it has in it before turning it on.

A final suggestion: Energizer Lithiums are also wonderful batteries that practically last forever in the K-x. NiMhs or alkalines aren't the only battery options you have.

alizee Junior Member • Posts: 30

Hi! Here's my experience with K-X batteries. First of all, I've had the least problems using AA Eneloops. Yes, I have to leave the fresh batteries in the camera for about 1 minute before turning on the camera to give the camera time to "identify" the battery type. If the power indicator shows half-power, pressing LV (live view) button usually snaps the indicator to green (full power) and away I go.

Another thing, I've had success with the following 2 chargers: the Panasonic BQ-390A quick charger and the MAHA MH-C401FS slow/fast charger. The MAHA charger is a good charger that is gentle and charges batteries (individually) to their full capacity. I always recommend chargers that charge each cell individually. Anyways, don't give up on the K-X...

Jacob Catt Forum Member • Posts: 89

What is the best charger for the Sanyo Eneloops? Does the one that comes with the standard set have 4 channels? What is a good charger for the Eneloops that has four channels and can also bring back to life old rechargeable?

-- hide signature --

Jake

Pesterance New Member • Posts: 10

it's really about the batteries. i got 3 packs of eneloops and used two of them for my thanksgiving trip and they worked perfectly. i got sooooo many pictures off of just two sets of eneloops its insane (over 10 gigs of SD video and RAW images + learning time with camera development n junk). but i tried some cheapy 2300 junk ones and i couldn't even turn on the camera,

Basically i'm just saying bite the bullet and get great batteries to go with your great camera. It just doesn't make sense to use cheap batteries with a nice cam.

OP mlr123 New Member • Posts: 16

Thank you all for the very helpful replies. I will keep the camera and try the suggested batteries.

joeoptics Junior Member • Posts: 37

I initially tried the supplied Lithium batteries and took about 200 shots without any problem. I removed them and tried a set of brand newly purchased, freshly charged NiMH Duracell 2650 mAh. I have not been carefully tracking, but I have taken several hundred shots with them, including quite a few with flash. I know I am lucky to not get one of the defective units. From what I gather by reading this forum, the key test is how many shots do you get with the Pentax supplied Lithium cells. If you do not get many shots with the Lithium cells I would return the camera.

I love the performance of the K-x and personally would keep it even if it only worked with the non-rechargable Lithium cells.

David

mlr123 wrote:

Thank you all for the very helpful replies. I will keep the camera and try the suggested batteries.

-- hide signature --

David

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,565

i'm still on the supplied lithiums... 600 photos, 5.5 minutes of movie, its gone down to red on a few occasions but after a few shots inthe red i turn the camera off for a few minutes and back on and they're good for another few hundred shot give or take. i've had confirmation from a local shop that has talked with Pentax about the problem, a fix is coming but no confirmation on when it will arrive... the hint is sooner then later... 2 weeks at most is what i read into it.
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Brad99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,145

I haven't yet got a Kx, but a cheap charger (cheaper than Maha and LaCrosse chargers) that does a great job with Eneloops and ordinary NiMh is the Vapex CS-2900DC, sometimes called the LCD Rapid Charger/Discharger. By rapid, it means about 3 hrs of pulse charging which is ideal for long battery life and full capacity charging, which it achieves going by my own tests.

Most recharging of Eneloops will take less than 3hrs though as they're never flat coming out of a camera, the camera will turn off well before the cells are flat. It also managed to bring back to life 3 AAA NiMh I have that had dropped to under 1.0v having been left unused for a year. Here's a user report..... http://www.accelenation.com/?dp.dt.2007.11.1

dragra
dragra Senior Member • Posts: 1,141

got 500 shot so far on new set of Sony NiMH 2700 mAh and still green...

dragra's gear list:dragra's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 Pentax X-5 Canon PowerShot G5 X Pentax K20D +22 more
opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,404
eneloops and nizn's

i've tried eneloops w/ the sanyo charger. seems ok.

panasonic 2100 mah, seems to work ok, but haven't tried many 100's of shots with this.

ironically, testing a set of sanyo 2500 nimh in a sanyo charger did not work properly at all. sometimes kx didn't start. sometimes shows red. pressing LV gets it back to green, but turning the camera off and it fails to start.

i've used NiZn's. they work great too. the nizn charger i got will charge each cell independently. note that there are 2 nizn chargers. the cheaper one (by about $1) charges in pairs.

i beleive it's still a bug in the K-x (hopefully fixable by firmware and not hardware) as how it detects a battery.

having to fiddle with the LV or remove a lens or do some combination of actions to get the battery indicator to display green should not be necessary if the battery circuitry/firmware is working right.

I sincerely hope pentax comes out with a firmware fix sooner rather than later as
this would battery issue could be a turn-off to some would-be k-x buyers.

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

frunze Junior Member • Posts: 40

mlr123 wrote:

I'd like to suggest that you also be sure to pair any eneloop batteries you buy with a Sanyo eneloop charger. It's not just the batteries, but how they get charged that makes a difference. Not all battery types - even within NiMh - work the same, and chargers need to know how to inject the juice into batteries the right way.

eneloops use a slightly different technology to other NiMh's, so Sanyo eneloop charger + Sanyo eneloop batteries is the safest and most reliable way to go. (The eneloop batteries also have written on them: "Charge only with a Sanyo specified charger", BTW).

PS - I don't work for Sanyo!

Roland Mabo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,462
Re: eneloops and nizn's

I'm not sure that it is firmware fixable...

The *ist D-series also had issues, (I have an *ist DS that sometimes gets a battery depleted indication and if I leave it to rest a few minutes, it starts working again and shows full charge) and it seems to be because of the way AA NihMs work. Too many variables with them.
--
Take care
R
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo

gwing2 Regular Member • Posts: 108

Not so with my stD anyway.

Given a decent charger it worked flawlessly with the rottenest, oldest, most mixed collection of old NiMh AAs as you could possibly imagine. If the charger will charge it - it works flawlessly, even batteries that are so bad the charger rejects them will still work as long as they hold charge. Eventually it was treated to some decent Eneloops - but only for my convenience.

My experience is that NiMhs are great (I wish the K7 used them), but for reliable use they do want a really good charger - and the charger is more important than the battery.

gwing2 Regular Member • Posts: 108

Personally I don't ever trust a non recheargeable battery as you never know how long it will last - or even if it will function at all. That's also why I don't think it is sensible to use supplied non rechargeable batteries as a measure of the camera.

The way forward is to use rechargeables, once you have used a set a couple of times you can be confident of how they will perform. But don't skimp, get a couple of sets of Eneloops and a really good charger. If the camera won't work properly with known good batteries, properly charged, then it should be returned.

opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,404

well, for the K-x's sales sake, it better be fixable in firmware.

having to press LV to get the battery meter to show green or some combination of af/mf switch lens removal, etc, should NOT BE NECESSARY .

Roland Mabo wrote:

I'm not sure that it is firmware fixable...

The *ist D-series also had issues, (I have an *ist DS that sometimes gets a battery depleted indication and if I leave it to rest a few minutes, it starts working again and shows full charge) and it seems to be because of the way AA NihMs work. Too many variables with them.
--
Take care
R
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

FrancoisduP Forum Member • Posts: 78

My *istDS is also very happy with any battery I throw at it. Even the crappiest NiMH's tend to work. Currently I have two sets of eneloops (great!) as well as a set of Uniross (same hybrid type of battery as the eneloops) and they also work perfectly fine. I don't see a difference in performance there.

Using the Uniross charger at the moment as its nice and compact.

The K-x is clearly more finicky than any other Pentax camera about the batteries. Otherwise we would have heard people complain a lot about previous models as well. And people start noticing it. I just found a couple of video's on Youtube of people demonstrating the battery issues they are having. This is bad marketing for Pentax, as the camera will start to get a bad reputation.

The sooner they nip this problem in the but....the better for all. Especially for the bank balance of Pentax.

Jim King
Jim King Veteran Member • Posts: 8,585
Sorry but I disagree.

gwing2 wrote:

Personally I don't ever trust a non recheargeable battery as you never know how long it will last - or even if it will function at all. That's also why I don't think it is sensible to use supplied non rechargeable batteries as a measure of the camera.

The way forward is to use rechargeables, once you have used a set a couple of times you can be confident of how they will perform. But don't skimp, get a couple of sets of Eneloops and a really good charger. If the camera won't work properly with known good batteries, properly charged, then it should be returned.

You seem to have a bias against non-rechargeables. True, regular alkalines are not the best choice, but the new lithium AA cells are great. I use them in a variety of applications in my home - from externally mounted thermometer sensors to a heavy-duty AV remote - and can only say that they perform very well. I still have the first set of lithiums in my K-m and they have lasted for 12 months so far.

Lithium AAs have have never failed to perform for me and I highly recommend them.
--
Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -5h (EST)
Pentaxian for over 45 years.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

• Sir Winston Churchill

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

• Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Pentax K-3 Leica M10 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X30 Leica M9 +139 more
Sheld Senior Member • Posts: 1,899
have you tried the new firmware?

you might want to try the new firmware update
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0912/09120302pentaxkxfirmware.asp

and report back to see if it helps. I haven't bought the k-x yet, but I eventually will, because I want to try the HD movies, and the higher ISOs, and the liveview.

• Shel

mlr123 wrote:

Thanks to comments from people on the site I bought a k-x and have been extremely pleased with the picture quality.

Unfortunately I have run into the often mentioned battery problem that seems even worse than reported. I bought a new set of Kodak 2500 mAh. They lasted 30 shots without a flash. I have a set of relatively new rayovac that I had recharged and used in another camera maybe 5-6 times and it took about 50-60 before the camera started indicating empty and my picture taking had stopped anyway. (it didn't actually say battery depleted)

This seems worse than people have been reported. I would like to have tested it more but people have commented on this site the B&H won't take cameras back iif there are more than 200 shots and I am up to 170.

Any advice??

Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads