Which DiCAPac waterproof housing fits E-P1 w/ 20mm Lumix?

Started Nov 19, 2009 | Discussions
chronoguy Regular Member • Posts: 161
Which DiCAPac waterproof housing fits E-P1 w/ 20mm Lumix?

Which one fits guys? The Wp-610?

rla1022 Regular Member • Posts: 397
Re: Which DiCAPac waterproof housing fits E-P1 w/ 20mm Lumix?

Perosnally I would not do it, esp with the EP-1 or any expensive camera. It leaks so bad. I thankfully realized that in time with my old fuji e900 and was able to dry it off in time. Its like a big zip lock bag. I would not take the chance myself. Just get one of the ultra rugged cams, youll be happier and wont be worrying when your 10 meters down if your 800 dollar investment is ruined.

rla1022's gear list:rla1022's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Lance W Senior Member • Posts: 1,256

They are only rated to 5 meters....I personally would not trust it more than 10 feet for any camera I cared to use later.

rla1022 wrote:

Just get one of the ultra rugged cams, youll be happier and wont be worrying when your 10 meters down if your 800 dollar investment is ruined.

Lance W's gear list:Lance W's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-3 Panasonic LX100 Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) +18 more
rla1022 Regular Member • Posts: 397

I agree. the furthest i got was actually the bottom of the pool at the hotel. It was great for above water on the SeaDo though and at the water park with its limited if non underwater use.

rla1022's gear list:rla1022's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Mikey5 New Member • Posts: 12

I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone else is wondering...

I just received the WP-610.

It fits the E-P1 with the 20mm panny. The lens barrel fits snuggly into the lens extension on the 610 case (which is a good thing -- the common complaint of this case is camera shift) and the lens extension does not interfere with pictures.

The lens needs to be mounted on the camera before it is placed in the case. The oly 14-45mm fits into the lens extension; however, there isn't enough room in the case to lock the lens onto the camera. The next size up should work likely have enough room to lock that lens, but it would be way oversized for the body of the E-P1.

Button controls are usable through the case and the case seems to be well built and rather substantial (heavy vinyl). The seal is a "zip-lock", but it you can hear and feel it snap into place. The zip-lock is sealed with multiple folds with 2 separate velcro seals.

I tested the bag for leaks for 3 hours submerged in a bucket and no moisture made it into the case.

Next stop -- the Caribbean.

If I can overcome my fear of potentially destroying my equipment, I'll post some pics of the E-P1 swimming in its case and a few underwater snaps when I return so everyone can see its performance (notwithstanding my lack of skill).

Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,757

thanks for the tip. I have had great experiences with this brand - snorkeling that is. Now that I own the Ep-1 and GF-1 it would be great to use these, they are soo small.

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Olympus TG-5 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon 1 V2 +78 more

Just arrived home and the WP-610 case performed brilliantly on multiple snorkeling trips!

I would whole heartily recommend for the E-P1/20mm combo.

Many great pics (hundreds) -- I'll post a few in the next week.

Here are a few pics of the E-P1/20mm in the WP-610 housing:

Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,757

Thanks for update.
Does the 20mm vignette inside the housing?

how about some UW photos to show us?
--

http://www.hondurasart.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=2180

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Olympus TG-5 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon 1 V2 +78 more

The 20mm does not. The 17mm might--I don't have one to test.

I'll post a few uw pics in the next few days.

Here are a few uw photos with the E-P1/20mm and DiCaPack housing. Straight from the camera. Any issues with the photos reflect my skill level (or lack thereof).

wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938
Great thread - and add my endorsement

Only found this thread through a google search on dicapac today. A lot of good advice and photos.

I have had a WP-610 that has protected my E-P3 and E-Pl5 for about 5 years with lots of usage in saltwater, in hot weather, bounced around in waves while fishing for hours wading in hip deep water. Never got one drop of water ingress. Has taken some great pictures for me that have been published and on my web site. Cost me about $100 NZ.

No cost in gaskets, grease, maintenance beyond washing in freshwater. The simple bag seal clip and roll up system that actually works! No vulnerable gaskets and seals and clamps. Light, simple, no fiddly parts, portable unlike a typical rigid camera case.

I can't think of a more reliable and value for money underwater cover for my purpose which doesnot include any sort of diving, more as all weather and hand held underwater protector. In contrast the "similar" looking Outex covers are clumsy, slippery and complicated to set up. I have taken my one out once and wouldn't trust it frankly. Cost me $700 to get to NZ and that's nearly 7 times the amount for the dicapac. The waterproofing depends on very thin area of clamping that must be absolutely clean and screwed down very carefully. And it can work loose while in use.

While a bit of a fanboy, the Dicapac isn't perfect. Even with the DSLR case (S5) it is very hard to zoom/focus a lens, otherwise any interchangeable lens camera has a fixed focal lens once sealed inside.

If Dicapac could sort this one aspect of operation, the ability to a zoom lens above and below water would transform a lot of photographer's opinion of their usefulness of these covers.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic
https://aucklandswoffer.wordpress.com

wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 AW1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
uevgen New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Great thread - and add my endorsement

Hello Wolfie,

Could I ask you for advice? I see on last picture smth. like additional extention for long lens. Are this one inclued into this waterproof kit? And is it enough to use m.zuiko 14-42 lens on small body (like e-pm1/2)?

Thank you in advance!

wolfie
wolfie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938
Re: Great thread - and add my endorsement

uevgen wrote:

Hello Wolfie,

Could I ask you for advice? I see on last picture smth. like additional extention for long lens. Are this one inclued into this waterproof kit? And is it enough to use m.zuiko 14-42 lens on small body (like e-pm1/2)?

Thank you in advance!

Cretainly the extension tube was included with my case (and would be standard for all markets as it is shown that way on the dicapac website). It has worked fine with my E-P3 and my E-PL5 with the kit zoom.

With the tube in place it will easily fit the kit zoom. The only limitation is at the 14mm wide setting you may get some some edge darkening depending on how the camera sits in the case. You can zoom to max telephoto with no problems.  Without extension tube you would have to use a pancake style lens.

FYI - to minimise releflections dont use a UV filter,  using a polariser is OK, but of course you cant adjust  on the fly.

Also using with the PEN bodies has a slight advantage as some functions like exposure +/- can be done by button pushing whereas using dials/knobs is slow or impossible. Screen touch function works well for AF selection and SCP. Just be careful about bumping the camera around with touch enabled as it means settings can mysteriously change or shoot off photos if touch-shutter is on ... :))

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic
https://aucklandswoffer.wordpress.com

wolfie's gear list:wolfie's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 AW1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads