Canon 7D - Did I make mistake?

Started Nov 13, 2009 | Discussions
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,228
you following this?

Torch wrote:

Trollish for using a 7D?
Who freaking cares? You can buy any brand you want and own more than one.

I don't think you are following the discussion correctly. Are you using flat view? Use threaded instead and you'll see who is replying to whom.

Trollish for an olympus user to give Canon equipment advice and to claim only FF and a very expensive very fast aperture lens can do sports.

RedFox88 wrote:

drif8r wrote:

karenlh wrote:

It's a little late to be asking this, but I'm still interested in your opinion.

I wanted a camera that will take good indoor volleyball photos in extremely poorly lit gyms (middle schools). So far I've tried this:

A full-frame camera like 5D and fast lense like 200mm F2 is required for shutter speeds good enough to stop action under dim lights.

You seem to be an olympus user and you come giving advice on Canon cameras. Although the 200 f2 is nice, it is very expensive and unless you are in the right position, 200mm and and f2 aperture may not give you the DOF for volleyball. I'm sure the 200 f2 is great for gymnastics where it's always a single person and you can't get that near the action.

The $400 85mm f1.8 would provide more DOF and a faster shutter speed. There's different tools and the 85mm is much cheaper than the 200 f2.

-- hide signature --

Torch

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,228
if you recommend that, then

garykohs wrote:

The Pentax Kx would probably do everything you need for middle school volleyball.

If you're going to recommend the k7, you might as well recommend the 50D instead because it's about the same price and comes with a much better lens library to choose from.

Mousehill Veteran Member • Posts: 7,534
IMO you did

karenlh wrote:

Pentax K10D (because I already had 3 Pentax lenses) - Improvement over *istDL - but, again, not what I was after. There was a great deal of noise at ISO 1600, plus shutter speeds were still down around 1/125.

You already had 3 Pentax lenses. The Pentax K-7 is just as capable of indoor shots as the Canon 7D is.
Seems you now need to invest in Canon glass as well.
--
--
Capturing time that will never be the same

http://www.mmfoto.nl
http://www.pentaximaging.nl

Mousehill's gear list:Mousehill's gear list
Pentax K-1
Maximillan Regular Member • Posts: 488
Re: Did I make mistake?

Well spotted! Thanks for the correction.

dat331 wrote:
Yes you DiD !!!!

It's " ... would be ideal " , Not " ... would ideal ... "

Sorry I can't help ...

Don't take it seriously ...

dat331

Maximillan wrote:

The 7D has the best autofocus system of the Canon APS cameras so it would be perfect for what you're using it for but you really need another lens. Depending on your budget either one of the Canon 70-200L lenses (expensive but high quality) would ideal, or if they're too expensive, the Canon 70-300 or a third party lens from Sigma or Tamron.

karenlh wrote:

I wanted a camera that will take good indoor volleyball photos in extremely poorly lit gyms (middle schools). So far I've tried this:

Pentax *istDL (because it was cheap) - Adding the 50mm lens helped, but not enough.

Pentax K10D (because I already had 3 Pentax lenses) - Improvement over *istDL - but, again, not what I was after. There was a great deal of noise at ISO 1600, plus shutter speeds were still down around 1/125.

SO... I decided to switch to Canon and bought the 7D with the 50mm F/1.4 lens. I was able to use it at a high school game. The photos were much, much better than I've had in the past. However, I'm wondering if I could have gotten acceptable images with the 50D or one of the Rebel series cameras. Did I gain that much improvement in picture quality at high ISOs over these other cameras? I'm wondering if I should have invested my money in add'l lenses instead of a good body. When I've tried to save money in the past, I ended up with 2 cameras that I wasn't happy with. I didn't want to risk that happening again. It's hard for me to test cameras in the store as the conditions are so different than in a volleyball/basketball game.

What do you think? Did I make a mistake in buying the 7D?

Thanks,

Karen

dat331 Regular Member • Posts: 248
You're welcome !!!

Hi Maximillan,

I really like the way you wrote in the reply post to me

Want to be a friend ?

Cheers,

dat331

Maximillan wrote:
Well spotted! Thanks for the correction.

dat331 wrote:
Yes you DiD !!!!

It's " ... would be ideal " , Not " ... would ideal ... "

Sorry I can't help ...

Don't take it seriously ...

dat331

Maximillan wrote:

The 7D has the best autofocus system of the Canon APS cameras so it would be perfect for what you're using it for but you really need another lens. Depending on your budget either one of the Canon 70-200L lenses (expensive but high quality) would ideal, or if they're too expensive, the Canon 70-300 or a third party lens from Sigma or Tamron.

garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,517
Re: if you recommend that, then

I just mentioned the Kx because the OP came from Pentax and has/had some Pentax lenses.
--
Gary

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D X Sony a99 II Sony a9 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
jsanch08
MOD jsanch08 Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: Yes

It is intersesting that one seeks solace for choice outcomes on this forum. I do think I will mention that to a local University psychologist because maybe forums are replacing therapy for those in need.

Interesting in the exreme.

To answer your question, choices in life are neither "mistakes" or "not". They are just choices that bring certain consequences which are unknown until they are made, and reveal themselves slowly afterwards.

I would think that it would be impossible for the entire membership of this forum to answer "Is it a mistake" for you personally.

But, I am fascinated that you think that is possible.

jsanch08's gear list:jsanch08's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +4 more
CanonPhotog Contributing Member • Posts: 676
The only mistake you've made thus far

is in questioning your decision in the first place. If you're satisfied with the results that you're currently getting from the 7D/lens combo, then be happy, and keep shooting.

There's always going to be something as good, or better (and/or at times, less expensive) out there. Many will advise that you invest in a lens system, as opposed to a camera body, since bodies come and go, and this is very sound advice. However, if the body that you DO invest in isn't capable of providing you with the results that you need, or desire (i.e. excellent low light capability/IQ, fast focusing, etc...), then it doesn't really matter WHAT lenses you invest in.

You have the best APS-C dslr in your hands right now. Use it, and get the most out of it, and don't question your gut instinct with wanting to go with the best of the best in camera bodies. You apparently made the mistake of not getting adequate enough dslr's for your needs when you invested in the two Pentax cameras. Don't make the same mistake by questioning your current dslr's capabilties, unless it's not providing you with the IQ that you require.

B

karenlh wrote:

Pentax *istDL (because it was cheap) - Adding the 50mm lens helped, but not enough.

SO... I decided to switch to Canon and bought the 7D with the 50mm F/1.4 lens. I was able to use it at a high school game. The photos were much, much better than I've had in the past. However, I'm wondering if I could have gotten acceptable images with the 50D or one of the Rebel series cameras. Did I gain that much improvement in picture quality at high ISOs over these other cameras? I'm wondering if I should have invested my money in add'l lenses instead of a good body. When I've tried to save money in the past, I ended up with 2 cameras that I wasn't happy with. I didn't want to risk that happening again. It's hard for me to test cameras in the store as the conditions are so different than in a volleyball/basketball game.

What do you think? Did I make a mistake in buying the 7D?

Thanks,

Karen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads