Jerky video during playback

Started Nov 12, 2009 | Discussions
phinhead New Member • Posts: 12
Jerky video during playback

I recorded some video with my 7D set to 24fps. The playback on the camera is fine, but when I try to play it back on the computer the video does not have smooth play back. The audio is fine...but the video is jerky. I'm guessing it may be my outdated computer....I use Quicktime to play the video.

ziyue Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Jerky video during playback

in quicktime, there should be a way for you to see the actual playback framerate. Most likely, it's lower than the frame rate recorded.

jared_p Regular Member • Posts: 102

Are you shooting in 1080P, 720P, or standard defintion?

I have a 1.83ghz duo-core, 2GB DDR ram iMac and I can't achieve smooth playback. I think those videos are monsters, hell, the 1080P is a larger resolution than my screen even offers (1440 x 944 compared to 1980 x 1080).

I can't make any 1080P and sometimes 720P videos playback smooth, regardless if its a movie, tv show, or videos off my 7D. Time for a new computer...

phinhead wrote:

I recorded some video with my 7D set to 24fps. The playback on the camera is fine, but when I try to play it back on the computer the video does not have smooth play back. The audio is fine...but the video is jerky. I'm guessing it may be my outdated computer....I use Quicktime to play the video.

-- hide signature --

daily photoblog - http://www.polowick.com

liquidstone
liquidstone Veteran Member • Posts: 9,979
Try playing it in ZoomBrower (nt)

phinhead wrote:

-- hide signature --

Romy

PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS
Photo Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/liquidstone
HD Bird Videos - http://exposureroom.com/members/RomyOcon.aspx/videos/

(Over 250 species captured in habitat, and counting.)

liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Rylee Isitt Senior Member • Posts: 2,088

The software you use to play it as well as the codecs will make a difference.

Also, everything else on your computer will too. I have no problem playing back 1080P video on my 2 year old laptop, but I'm very picky about what sort of software I let run. For instance, I've gone through and disabled all non-essential services, as well as turned off the automatic update features for pretty much everything.

I use a piece of software called "Media Player Classic" to play back movies. It's lightweight and seems to have no issues with dropped frames.

It's not your camera - so don't worry. Even if you can't get your computer to play it back smoothly, you can rest assured that you have good quality original video.

-- hide signature --

~ Rylee Isitt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads