Antique B&W Portraits - ???

Started Nov 12, 2009 | Discussions
mw2424 Forum Member • Posts: 99
Antique B&W Portraits - ???

Could the Host of this Challenge (Capivara) please check and assure me (or maybe others have similar questions) as to the genuine character of all the submissions? (Genuine - i.e. artificial this time).

I wanted to vote on them, but some seem to good to be true. And not always have EXIF data. I do not want to exlude those brilliant works of art in case they have really been done recently.

Or maybe somebody from the readers of this Forum can assure me that there is nothing fishy there?
Am I paranoid?

Manuaalitarkennus Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: Antique B&W Portraits - ???

I must admit I was thinking just the same when voting... some of them are too good to be true, and when a heavily post processed (IF it is taken lately) photo is taken and submitted in the same day, even before noon, and has no data about the camera or any details... I won't say that's not possible, and I've already given them the votes they deserve, if they are genuine(=artificial). But still, I hope the host will find a way to find out if they are.

A wonderful challenge anyway, I'm sorry I didn't have the time to take part.

Capivara Contributing Member • Posts: 565

Hi,

I weeded out the obvious copies/scans of existing photographs. Some of those that are left in the challenge, could be fake. However, as there's no way to be sure for 100%, I have to rely on the voters to be the judge.

Hans

-- hide signature --

Digital pictures are born analog. Hence, analog rules.

Manuaalitarkennus Regular Member • Posts: 160

Hi Hans,

thanks. It's nice to know you did your best, that's all we can ask for.

Relying on voters is a little problem here, however - the ones that could be fake are the best ones, so if they are not fake, it wouldn't be fair to give them 0,5 stars.

I decided not to be paranoid and gave them 3,5-5 stars. I hope no-one fooled me.

OP mw2424 Forum Member • Posts: 99
Require submitting unchanged versions, too.

Hi Hans,

I guess a good way of assessing the "veracity" (or, rather, falsity) of these photographs would be to require that every submission be accompanied by a straight photo, before it was made appear ancient.

If you are going to repeat this or similar topic in the future you may consider requiring such "proof".

It's not 100% foolproof, but better than relying on every claim, given the extremely competitive atmosphere of modern world (even regarding our modest Challenges; you probably have read those discussions...)

Capivara Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: Require submitting unchanged versions, too.

I will certainly do that the next time - great suggestion!

Hans

-- hide signature --

Digital pictures are born analog. Hence, analog rules.

Kivi Junior Member • Posts: 42

Hans,

If you think that it was a great idea, why don't you do anything about the winner in your "Antique B&W Portraits" challenge? Several people have commented that there is more than a reasonable doubt that the winner is a photo of an old photo, not a photo made following the rules. If the winner can present the original, then I am the first to admit that she/he made unbelievable job. If not, you should disqualify the winner to make justice to the ones who played fair game. At least you should explain why you have not disqualified the image.

nand
nand Veteran Member • Posts: 3,322

I have little doubt. Look at some of her work here. Perhaps a little bit more than little because of the time the photo may have been taken.

http://klaudiakrueger.blogspot.com/2009/11/3-daughters-he-had.html

http://klaudiakrueger.blogspot.com/2009/02/just-me.html

Nand.

-- hide signature --

nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +18 more
Jan2009 Regular Member • Posts: 461
Entry seems legit...

After seeing some of her work, Thanks Nand, I am rather glad I did not comment on her entry and judged so quickly. I did have a doubt quite frankly.

But after seeing Claudia's blog, and some of her work, I am now a fan. She aint bad looking either

See link from Nand above.

Jan2009's gear list:Jan2009's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
OP mw2424 Forum Member • Posts: 99
Re: Entry seems legit...

I have just looked at the "deviant art" page, thanks to your suggestion. These are interesting and "not-DPR" works. And I have no doubts that the winning entry was her job, in the sense of re-working it. But as to the photograph itself? It still looks too "original" to be a modern one (and I do not mean the scratches and the like. No, I have on mind the faces and poses of these folks in the photo). Compare with some others.

I would like to hear from Klaudia herself. I am sure she would have tons of interesting stuff about photography to tell us. Not about cameras etc, but about PHOTOGRAPHY. That's what I find missing here in DPR.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads