DxO vs ACR regarding colour precision?

Started Nov 11, 2009 | Discussions
mrmut
mrmut Contributing Member • Posts: 611
DxO vs ACR regarding colour precision?

Hello people!,

as DxO 6 is out, I can finally try DxO with my Olympus Macro system (wasn't available before).

Now, my primary concern is about color precision. With ACR, I can easily create camera profiles for different light conditions with XRite ColorChecker Standard target and Passport software, and thus get a very precise image.

When I try processing the same imagery with DxO, the results are puzzling. While the images processed in DxO do look "better," are they precise?

Thank you.

mrmut's gear list:mrmut's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-450 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +3 more
pjog Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: DxO vs ACR regarding colour precision?

At least you can now alter the radius of the white balance tool, which should make that more reliable. The recent versions seem less prone to bugs and crashes. You can set it off converting a few hundred files, come back later and it's done.

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that DXO has a "look", even in default form, which some people like: punchy, bright colours, with adjustment of local contrast by the "Lighting" control. Default NR is quite strong.

aimpic Contributing Member • Posts: 706

I think you have to ask the right questions.

Colour is always somewhat of a guess as it is added by software or the camera.

Therefore any software guesses.

Choose what you like best, but in any case you will more than likely adjust in ps.

The optical corrections of DxO make in my humble opinion ACR not very serious as it can adjust in ways not possible in other software. Oh, have you tried the ISO Boost in DxO?

Why not try dxo as you can for at least a month.

-- hide signature --

Peter

Persuasive Marketing Systems -
inc Copy Writing, Design & Photography

gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,870
Does it support Canon 7D

I have been thinking of using the trial version but could not find anything saying it supports the 7D.

Gary
--
http://www.expecttowinphotos.com

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
mrmut
OP mrmut Contributing Member • Posts: 611

Color is color, and regardless of software or camera, if workflow is calibrated, it should always stay the same.

With ACR I can use custom camera profiles to compensate for deviations my camera make, tho when I try that with DxO, the results aren't actually color true. Difference is quite high.

What I would like to know is what settings should I use to get the most precise image, regarding color.

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-450 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +3 more
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Veteran Member • Posts: 8,928

"What I would like to know is what settings should I use to get the most precise image, regarding color. "

How accurate?

Unless you are willing to invest $1,500 (USD) or more in the X-Rite ColorChecker Passport system will get 98% of total accuracy for files atthe input level.

Just keep in mind that for best accuracy profile specific setups - -not just the camera, but the camera + lens + lighting you'll be using for specific shoots.

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
kb2zuz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,202
Could you clarify precision?

There is a common misunderstanding between the difference between accuracy and precision, so I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing?

Generally speaking color precision is more a product of the camera (lens, sensor, bayer filter on sensor, bad IR filtering) accuracy is more influenced by the processing software.

I find neither DxO or ACR are ideal for accurate color reproduction. I feel that Capture One Pro is better than either, but I for reproduction work I rely on making custom profiles.
--
~Kurt

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +6 more
mrmut
ACR vs DxO - almost the same + ACR simpler to use

I have done an extensive series of experiments to determine would DxO be better than ACR. I also use Xrite calibration targets.

The reason to do so was the fact that I have liked the default output from DxO, and I've thought that is due to specific profiling they do. However, the same results can be achieved in ACR, usually by overusing some sliders.

If one uses DxO to produce neutral image, without "punch" that DxO gives out, it produces almost the same results like ACR. I did notice maybe a tad more details (very, very tiny amount), but that was followed by workflow that I didn't liked.

ACR offers simple and effective solution to do wonders with RAW files, and camera profile implementation is done fantastically.

mrmut
Re: ACR vs DxO - almost the same + ACR simpler to use

Another update:

I've processed loads of images from the last post.

While I like ACR and Bridge very much, it turned out that DNG profiles used to convert images in ACR do now give as accurate color representation as custom made ICC profiles used in conjunction with DxO.

The process of finding that was laborious, and now I do not look rather happily to idea of introducing DNG and DNG profiles, while disregarding widely accepted ICC profiling.

It seems to me that Adobe uses popularity as leverage to create file standards that would massively benefit to the company in the future (like MS did with docx, etc.).

Also, DxO handles highlights better.

PRISCILLA TURNER
PRISCILLA TURNER Senior Member • Posts: 1,409

mrmut wrote:

Another update:

While I like ACR and Bridge very much, it turned out that DNG profiles used to convert images in ACR do now give as accurate color representation as custom made ICC profiles used in conjunction with DxO.

I take it that you meant to write "do NOT" rather than "do now".

I wanted to check this, because I am straining at the leash, with DxO about to support the Pentax K-x any day late this month.

-- hide signature --

'To see, not with, but through the eye.' [William Blake]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22905474@N06/

PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list:PRISCILLA TURNER's gear list
Sigma DP1 Pentax K-3 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +3 more
mrmut

PRISCILLA TURNER wrote:

mrmut wrote:

Another update:

I take it that you meant to write "do NOT" rather than "do now".

Yes, you are correct. Thank you for pointing.

I wanted to check this, because I am straining at the leash, with DxO about to support the Pentax K-x any day late this month.

I would suggest to you that you work slowly, and read the manual. DxO is very complex and powerful software. If you try to go by shortcuts, you will just mess stuff up (speaking from personal experience).

If you will be using ICC profiles, I recommend Profile Maker, or Profile Prism (you need IT8 for it).

Best way to learn what does what is to open RAW and select "No correction" preset, and than selectively turn stuff on and off.

Good luck!

Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,347
No serious problem, really...

Color precision on the reproduction can be a must for few Photographers - but it is not for most of them.

After 20 years in the Printing Industry working mainly with Prepress and special printing techniques I consider myself an almost color expert.

I have used DxO for many years (since version 3) and the last version (6) is clearly better than previous one, at last when processing Nikon NEF´s. I never checked the color precision on the images but it looks pretty good. I do not care about this because I really do not need color precison.

Anyway you can profile the behavior from DxO also.

Regards,
--
O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer

Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds . Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads