7D Copyright Details

Started Nov 6, 2009 | Discussions
elfroggio
MOD elfroggio Senior Member • Posts: 2,796
7D Copyright Details

Hi,

Is there a way of entering the © for the copyright or do I have to use (c).

Thanks

realtor Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: 7D Copyright Details

I was just trying to do the same thing. Normally, alt 169 or 0169 displays the ©, but the Canon Utility doesn't seem to take ansi codes. The copyright function on the 7d body doesn't show the © symbol either. I think we're stuck with (c).

CharStar Forum Member • Posts: 75

You only get to pick from the set of predefined alphanumeric and special characters, and © isn't one of them.

Perhaps you could ask Canon to include it in a future firmware release...

CharStar's gear list:CharStar's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Sony Alpha a7R II
Lone Sailor Senior Member • Posts: 1,769

I used the @... looks like the ©....
--
http://nevadajack.smugmug.com/

Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,599

The only two things that have any legal significance are the copyright sign and "copyright". Anything else (including @ and (c)) isn't worth the keystrokes.
--
Jeff Peterman

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
http://www.pbase.com/jeffp25
http://www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Wayndom Senior Member • Posts: 1,933

Jeff Peterman wrote:

The only two things that have any legal significance are the copyright sign and "copyright". Anything else (including @ and (c)) isn't worth the keystrokes.

OK, I'm a little out of my element here, but as a published author, I can tell you that any original material you write -- ANYTHING -- is copyrighted the moment the ink hits the paper (or the letters appear on your monitor). All original work is copyrighted, with or without registering it or anything else.

If you register your copyright with the feds (US), and someone violates your copyright, you can sue them for more money than you could if you didn't register it (which costs around $35). Printed copyright statements have no legal weight, and writers looking to get published are always advised NOT to write anything on their manuscripts that indicates a copyright, as doing so simply marks them as know-nothing newbies...

It could be different with photos, though I doubt it.

dloudmountain Forum Member • Posts: 84

For what it's worth, I use Lightroom, and as soon as I import a folder of files into the Library I tweak the Metadata by selecting all files and adjust the Copyright fields to include the ©. Time: 10-12 secs. (Also set up other fields while there as well.)

Blue II
Blue II Veteran Member • Posts: 3,674
Re: Regarding LR

I set up an import preset that automatically puts the © and name and date that I want, depending on the photos. I can pick between © myname 2009 and © mywebsite 2009. Best thing is it doesn't take any time...well, maybe a second if I have to switch from one version to the other. If you have only one copyright statement, then it takes no time.

DloudMountain wrote:

For what it's worth, I use Lightroom, and as soon as I import a folder of files into the Library I tweak the Metadata by selecting all files and adjust the Copyright fields to include the ©. Time: 10-12 secs. (Also set up other fields while there as well.)

-- hide signature --

Steve

John Beale Regular Member • Posts: 320
the legal meaning of © (C) copyright symbols

Up until twenty years ago, the symbol © did have a legal meaning. People are still accustomed to seeing it, but since 1989, copyright is automatic and no symbols are required legally. See also wikipedia info below:

Prior to 1989, use of a copyright notice — consisting of the copyright symbol (©, the letter C inside a circle), the abbreviation "Copr.", or the word "Copyright", followed by the year of the first publication of the work and the name of the copyright holder — was part of United States statutory requirements.

Copyright Act of 1976, Pub.L. 94-553, 90 Stat. 2541, § 401(a) (October 19, 1976)

The Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988 (BCIA), Pub.L. 100-568, 102 Stat. 2853, 2857. One of the changes introduced by the BCIA was to section 401, which governs copyright notices on published copies, specifying that notices "may be placed on" such copies; prior to the BCIA, the statute read that notices "shall be placed on all" such copies. An analogous change was made in section 402, dealing with copyright notices on phonorecords.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_copyright_law#Copyright_notices

Douglas Antonio Friedman New Member • Posts: 1
Re: the legal meaning of © (C) copyright symbols

If I simply use the asc11 symbol for copyright does that give me the right to own my photo even though I took the picture, in other words if someone or some company decides to use the photo without my consent does that give me legal recourse to do something about it.

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,593
Re: the legal meaning of © (C) copyright symbols

Douglas Antonio Friedman wrote:

If I simply use the asc11 symbol for copyright does that give me the right to own my photo even though I took the picture, in other words if someone or some company decides to use the photo without my consent does that give me legal recourse to do something about it.

With or without © you have absolute ownership of all images you create (with exceptions if you're photographing someone else's copyrighted work ).

A registered copyright helps in establishing your ownership of specific images. More info on copyrights here: http://www.copyright.gov/

You may (or may not) have given away some or all of your rights in posting the image to some social media or photo posting sites. Carefully read the terms of use.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads