X1 Samples up on dpreview

Started Nov 5, 2009 | Discussions
zilver Contributing Member • Posts: 921
X1 Samples up on dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0911/09110503leicax1gallery.asp

looks great to me up to 1600, some 3200 shots are very good, but some aren't.

Skin tone is very good. Looks potentially likes a great camera!

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Leica Q Fujifilm X100F Leica M-Monochrom Leica M10
jwmars Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: X1 Samples up on dpreview

wondering how they compare to my d300 (comparable sensor) if set to same settings.To me the given samples are often not looking very sharp (even wondering if some of the pics are within dept of field sometimes). When pixel peeping i am not impressed yet. It might be better then a compact but I will compare against relevant SLRs. "as good as my d300" is the bench mark for me

Jan Willem

jwmars's gear list:jwmars's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Tulaev Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
Not very good for $2000
 Tulaev's gear list:Tulaev's gear list
Sony RX1
OP zilver Contributing Member • Posts: 921
Not very sharp yes

Yes I see some shots are not so sharp, had to recheck the shutter speed if that was the issue but it's not.

Re: Not very good for $2000

I like the 24-105 much better, seems much sharper at 100%.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,707
Really good...

....how big is that 5D and 24-105 compared to the X1. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Tulaev Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
The quality is not too different from the m4 / 3.

Why pay $ 2000?
--
Igor Tulaev
St.Petersburg, Russia

Tulaev's gear list:Tulaev's gear list
Sony RX1
RobbieW Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Not very good for $2000

I like the samples very much. This is NOT the final firmwareversion.
Try sliding your canon 5D in your pocket btw

I agree, the pricetag is high, but this is the kind of thing i've been looking for for a long time. Large sensor, small body, low noise with high iso's and a very good lens.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Frankly, the samples are disappointing

I'm waiting for Luminous Landscape's review, which is supposed to be available next week.

Looking at the trees in the Tower Bridge shot - where are the details?

Production Sample

Where does it say that this is not the final firmware? All I see is that it's the production sample (usually means final firmware, no?)

RobbieW Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Production Sample

I took it as an assumption that it wasnt to be honest. Most previews are without the final firmware i believe?.

villebon Senior Member • Posts: 2,218
Dynamic Range

Looking at the first two samples (faces) and the last one (banana) I'm wondering how this camera handles the highlights.

I maybe wrong or expecting too much. What are your thoughts of the highlights in these three pics?

-- hide signature --

Villebon

steveTQP
steveTQP Regular Member • Posts: 219
Re: Not very sharp yes

Let me preface this post by saying that I have a great deal of respect for Leica optics, and thus expect ALOT from their products, however, I must agree...for a $2000 camera with a larger sensor and a Leica FIXED lens, I expect MUCH better IQ, especially sharpness and resolution. IMHO, the Canon G11 is at least as good, not to mention much more versatile, for a quarter of the price.
--
Steve Solomon
steve@totalqualityphoto.com

steveTQP's gear list:steveTQP's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
Andrew Westlake Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Tower Bridge, diffraction, and sharpening

mrkr wrote:

Looking at the trees in the Tower Bridge shot - where are the details?

Looks like (not for the first time) I've been far too naive in expecting people to be able to interpret samples properly.

The Tower Bridge shot is at F11. This is well into the realms of diffraction softening in APS-C, and the sample illustrates this. Want to see how sharp the lens is? Look at shots at larger apertures - good primes generally do best around F4 - F5.6 on APS-C.

Also, don't mistake ACR's conservative sharpening for lack of detail.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com/lensreviews

Andrew Westlake's gear list:Andrew Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
fongyiktze Regular Member • Posts: 464
Disappointed overall image but great ISO proformance

I am disappointed because it is not as sharp as i imagined it would be; the bokeh is not as deep, the colours are a bit washed out and flat but may be due to the bright sunlight, the contrast is adequate comapred to SD2 (But it is more than adequate to replace my D Lux 4 as a packet camera).

HOWEVER, it does perfom very good in the high iso areas. I would imagine me using this camera in indoor situation, a dinner party, kids birthday, BBQ etc, where it is small enough to drop into your pocket and pop it out for a quick kodak moment (I have tried using the FX37 (C Lux 3) but was so disappointed with the small sensor image).

Any other serious pictures will be taken with a M8.2 (still dreaming for a "Black" Christmas)!!

I would trade in my D Lux 4 for a X1 (Black) useless Leica comes up with a rebadged GF1 (or GF2, since oly came out with a EP2 after 5 mths) anytime in the next 3 months.
--

I shoot P for purpose; A for appreciation; S for serenity; M for masterpiece and Leica for life.

fongyiktze's gear list:fongyiktze's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Leica Digilux 4.3 Leica D-LUX 4 Leica C-LUX 1 Leica C-LUX 3 +13 more
nolacomas2 New Member • Posts: 5
Re: X1 Samples up on dpreview

I like the examples, because now, I Know that I´ll buy a DP2 and a new objetive for my dlsr
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nolacomas

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Fair enough - thanks for the clarification

Looks like I got a bit over (or under) exited, since I have already orderd an X1 blind (which will probably make me look a bit stupid now).

Andy: if you don't mind can you clarify whether the shots were with the final firmware and whether the DNG conversion in ACR was done with default settings?

I believe this is not very clear from the text to the gallery.

Many thanks!

Andrew Westlake Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
FW and conversion settings

mrkr wrote:

Andy: if you don't mind can you clarify whether the shots were with the final firmware and whether the DNG conversion in ACR was done with default settings?

The firmware for the majority of the shots was 0.73b, which Leica have told us is final. (The first four were shot with 0.72i, which clearly wasn't much different).

Conversions are from DNG using default sharpening (which is pretty conservative); WB, brightness, saturation and NR settings were tweaked individually. All of the conversion settings should be visible in the EXIF. ACR doesn't have a specific profile for the X1 yet, so colour can be a little hit-and-miss.

-- hide signature --

Andy Westlake
dpreview.com/lensreviews

Andrew Westlake's gear list:Andrew Westlake's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Olympus Stylus Verve S Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
User190 Regular Member • Posts: 429
X1 vs 5D - which one fits into your pocket?

There is no question 5D is an excellent camera, however, unfortunately it does not fit into back pocket and weights more than 1 kg.

User190 Regular Member • Posts: 429
Re: The quality is not too different from the m4 / 3.

Why buy Leica M when you can buy Zenit for $10?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads