D700: A Grand Camera

Started Nov 3, 2009 | Discussions
antonoat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,773
We all know.......

how difficult it is to capture the grandeur and scale of a scene, I reckon you have done an excellent job here.
amazing place and images.

cheers
Tony

http://www.wildoat.zenfolio.com

CamasJC
OP CamasJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,382
Thanks Tony. Truly a Grand setting (nt)
-- hide signature --
Rad Dad Regular Member • Posts: 180
Re: Angle of View

Thanks John.

It would appear that we agree in principle. I'm not sure that my town has rental facilities for such a pricey lens, but I will try to find some comparisons on the 'net. I feel that the stats must be correct, or there would be heck to pay for the manufacturer.

Cheers. Rad Dad.

Rad Dad's gear list:Rad Dad's gear list
Canon ELPH 300 HS Nikon D40 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +10 more
MrsNikon Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Thanks

MrsNikon wrote:

Wow! It must be getting harder/morre expensive to find development labs -- or are you doing your own?

I use Miller's but the last 220 I shot was in July.

Early 90s... ok so you probably know a lot about digital and, I presume, about post processing?

Actually, not the case. Still a lot to learn. I know how to use the camera but the whole post processing road has been a rocky one. I'm hoping now that I have my new computer I can eventually upgrade Photoshop. My PC Photoshop license was for a few generations/versions ago so that is a big investment to get the latest for the Mac OS platform. However I probably could live without it.

Tell me about it

Yes, I have a new Mac as of June 2009. Went from 1998 to 2009 technology. I was long overdue. Now comes choices, ie. Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture, Plug-ins, monitor calibration software, do I want a new printer -- do I even want to print?
Too many forks in the road to take that could lead me down a path to a dead end.

My best overall advice --if you haven't alreay guessed-- is to shoot RAW/NEF format files (not Jpeg) and learn as much as you can about post processing.

That is what my peers are telling me that are still shooting weddings. I hung up that hat about 4 years ago however I still have the drive and desire to keep my personal photography quality up to that par. I helped my former assistant on a wedding about a month ago and it was my first, hands on use of the D3 and D300. Wow is the only word. I was basically helping him with extra lighting and hauling gear but he let me play around with his spare Nikon bodies during parts of the day.

I agree with the other posters about the images you initially posted. They have punch but not so much that they look over saturated. If I could produce images like that in post, I would feel that I've met my goal. We shall see. I need to take one step at a time.

MrsNikon's gear list:MrsNikon's gear list
Sony RX100 VA
papparazzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,997
Re: Thanks Diego (Did you just mention the C__ word??? :-)

CamasJC wrote:

papparazzi wrote:

That is some serious images..BUT you could do the same thing with my 5D (i)...:P

Thanks. No doubt other cameras can produce similar or better results. I am not saying D700 is better than anything else out there, only that it is a classic, milestone 'package' I believe the whole Nikon FX family is having a similar impat as (in their day) the Canon AE-1, Nikon F3, or even the classic Leica rangefinders.

Actually the 5D is more milestone than the D700. it's "the fullframe camera"...lol

Seriously, i love the D700, and your shot's, keep them up
--
Nature and Landscape Photographer
http://www.pbase.com/jdf
http://www.flickr.com/jdfeos

papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Nikon D600 +10 more
partha laha New Member • Posts: 7
Re: D700: A Grand Camera

Hi, Great shots. Did you use any filter with the 14-24mm? I did read and see a lot of pictures of the lee filter set and others in the internet but wanted to hear first hand from some one like you with great shots.
If you did use any filter set please share the details of the same as well.

Marcello Geerts Contributing Member • Posts: 907

The 3rd picture shows a nice 'star' sun. I was trying to get the same effect two days ago, but even with F22 on the 14-24 and 24-70 I did not get the star effect.

How did you manage to get yours?

Thanks,
Marcello

Marcello Geerts's gear list:Marcello Geerts's gear list
Nikon D810
Deleted-pending Senior Member • Posts: 2,665

Outstanding & very rich detailed pictures. great work here.

CamasJC

partha laha wrote:

If you did use any filter set please share the details of the same as well.

Thanks for the comments Partha... No I didn't use any filters that time... I developed these images in PSCS3, until they looked as I wanted them to. I don't like to use filters with the micro-coated lenses (These images were made with the 14-24 & 24-70).

(Btw... how did you find this thread? I posted it 5 months ago!)

-- hide signature --
CamasJC

Marcello Geerts wrote:

The 3rd picture shows a nice 'star' sun. I was trying to get the same effect two days ago, but even with F22 on the 14-24 and 24-70 I did not get the star effect.

How did you manage to get yours?

Marcello: Thanks for taking the time to comment. For that shot I used a simple two-exposure blend technique... one exposure for the sun star (with everything else severely underexposed) and one for 'everything else' (with the sun completely blown out) then hand-blended in PSCS3... a sort of 'manual HDR' -- it isn't all that hard to do after some practice.

Best wishes

-- hide signature --
CamasJC

FTH wrote:

Outstanding & very rich detailed pictures. great work here.

Thanks FTH. Yes, the detail at Grand-Canyon distances is what impressed me -- still amazed at what the D700/D3 sensor can do.
--
John
http://www.JChristopherGalleries.com
Member PPA, NAPP

stinkin Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: Thanks David. Lenses used...

amazing work!!!

WOW!

stinkin's gear list:stinkin's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D70s Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +13 more
peterclark55 Senior Member • Posts: 2,379
Re: Thanks Pixcel (nt)

Really grandiose, it must have been a very clear day, much sharper than when I visited in late may many years ago, thanks for posting. Peter
--
http://www.pbase.com/peter55/galleries

CamasJC
Thanks Peter

peterclark55 wrote:

Really grandiose, it must have been a very clear day, much sharper than when I visited in late may many years ago, thanks for posting. Peter
--
http://www.pbase.com/peter55/galleries

Peter, the original shots were taken late September last year and the final images posted here in November. The air is a lot drier in the Fall than it is in Spring plus the clarity testifies to the amazing optical quality of the micro-coated lenses (matched to a great camera).

Best

-- hide signature --
CamasJC
Thanks Stinkin.

The D700 is a classic. What a great image-making tool Nikon gave us.

...For a price, of course
--
John
http://www.JChristopherGalleries.com
Member PPA, NAPP

Marcello Geerts Contributing Member • Posts: 907

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Marcello Geerts's gear list:Marcello Geerts's gear list
Nikon D810
RomanJohnston
RomanJohnston Forum Pro • Posts: 18,827
All in all...

You did quite well....

Like this series!

Roman
--

'To consult the rules of composition before making a pictue is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk'

• Edward Weston

http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

CamasJC
Thanks Roman (nt)
-- hide signature --
partha laha New Member • Posts: 7

(Btw... how did you find this thread? I posted it 5 months ago!) ..

well I just upgraded to a D3S with a 24-70mm and was going through the forum for any word of wisdom. To be very true I always had my eyes on the 14-24mm but was not able to make a decision due to the filter thing. I like shooting wide landscape after hiking to places and many a time it is in the noon when the sun is very harsh. I kind of had a idea that in such cases a CPL is a must. But by your pictures and with out a filter I am now convinced enough to get it in my next investment. Great pictures again.

chrisincali Regular Member • Posts: 178

Amazing shots, I love every one of those!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads