D700: A Grand Camera

Started Nov 3, 2009 | Discussions
CamasJC
OP CamasJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,382
Thanks Tammy... Should you buy or wait...

MrsNikon wrote:

Another satisfied viewer. You've sealed the deal for me in regards to getting off the fence and obtaining a D700. Why wait for the D700 next generation when what would fulfill my current shooting needs is here and now. Keep the images coming.

I don't like making predictions on such things... However, considering it is November, and that Nikon has traditionally introduced major products to take advantage of holiday spending... If I were you, I'd wait till the end of the year... it's only another month and a half.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. What are you shooting now?
--
John
http://www.JChristopherGalleries.com

tbower
tbower Veteran Member • Posts: 3,515
Breathtaking is the right word for these! (NT)
-- hide signature --

Tom, Ohio USA
(Equipment in profile)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuikosan/
http://tbower.zenfolio.com/

'One should not LIVE in the past, but one should never FORGET the past'.

'Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?'
---George Gobel, 1969

tbower's gear list:tbower's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
MrsNikon Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Re: Thanks Tammy... Should you buy or wait...

CamasJC wrote:

Film ... my trusty N90s (I have two "D" lenses) and my Hasselblad 503CW (60mm, 100mm and 180mm).

My digital experience started off in early 90's with the Nikon Coolpix 990, then a Canon point & shoot (gifted that to dad) and now I have a Panasonic Lumix LX3.

I am starting off piece meal. Just upgraded my ancient computer this past June. It is a financial strain to just run out and buy new hardware, software, printers, cameras and lenses and associated accessories all at once.

I have been waiting a long time to jump into the digital SLR world and I love the Nikon configuration and feel comfy with that. I didn't like the feel of the Canon in the hands. Hence I waited. I suppose I can hang on a little longer and am hoping to be able to use my "D" lenses.

-Tammy

MrsNikon's gear list:MrsNikon's gear list
Sony RX100 VA
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 25,923
Re: D700: A Grand Camera

Very nice set! I assume you used the 14-24 on some of these. Or not?
--
Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
CamasJC
The importance of post processing

MrsNikon wrote:

CamasJC wrote:

Film ... my trusty N90s (I have two "D" lenses) and my Hasselblad 503CW (60mm, 100mm and 180mm).

Wow! It must be getting harder/morre expensive to find development labs -- or are you doing your own?

My digital experience started off in early 90's with the Nikon Coolpix 990, then a Canon point & shoot (gifted that to dad) and now I have a Panasonic Lumix LX3.

Early 90s... ok so you probably know a lot about digital and, I presume, about post processing?

I am starting off piece meal. Just upgraded my ancient computer this past June. It is a financial strain to just run out and buy new hardware, software, printers, cameras and lenses and associated accessories all at once.

Tell me about it

I have been waiting a long time to jump into the digital SLR world and I love the Nikon configuration and feel comfy with that. I didn't like the feel of the Canon in the hands. Hence I waited. I suppose I can hang on a little longer and am hoping to be able to use my "D" lenses.

I have a late 70s manual focus, manual everything, 300/2.8 ED lens. Works like a dream on the D700 with minor CA in difficult light situations.

My best overall advice --if you haven't alreay guessed-- is to shoot RAW/NEF format files (not Jpeg) and learn as much as you can about post processing. RAW/NEF files... are the best 'negative' format for capturing and preserving the most information out of a scene. But, unprocessed Raw files look flat and lifeless. You can count on almost never getting what you have in mind straight out of the camera, and into a RAW file --no matter how good or expensive the camera may be. You will always need to adjust and fine tune, just like developing negative film and getting an optimized print out of it

Best of luck to you
--
John
http://www.JChristopherGalleries.com

CamasJC
Thanks Tom. It starts with breathtaking scenery! (NT)
-- hide signature --
CamasJC
Thanks Vincent (nt)
-- hide signature --
CamasJC
Thanks Renato. You guessed right.

rhlpetrus wrote:

Very nice set! I assume you used the 14-24 on some of these. Or not?

Yes, I used it for half of them. Details at: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=33585738

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

-- hide signature --
James Youngman Regular Member • Posts: 347

These are astonishing, wonderful images.

Qwntm Veteran Member • Posts: 6,165
Re: Thanks Edward ... print size?

Well, if they're single D700 frames you can go 16x24 fine art all day long... Beyond that I'm not sure, my printer only goes 17 wide. BUT, I've seen some amazing 40x60's at Pro Photo Supply from single d3/d700 shots...

If they're pano's/multiple shots, I think the size is almost limitless.

I tend to still shoot single frames for resolution, but I will do multiple frames for dynamic range. I really have no use for any more MP's. I guess it's Galen Rowels influence still resonating after all these years!

-- hide signature --
 Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M5 II Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +8 more
cary smith Senior Member • Posts: 1,596
huh?

"Absolutely amazed how this camera handles the immense scale of such a subject and the challenges that come with it..."

Soooo, now we know your secret. You told that boxy thing with a lens that it was at THE GRAND CANYON and it rose to the challenge!!! AND for every scenic shot you tell the camera where it is with a little "you can do it" pep talk!!!!

You give way too much credit to that boxy thing with a lens. It did not have to perform at -100 C, nor in a vacuum on the moon.

cary

CamasJC
Thanks James (nt)
-- hide signature --
CamasJC
Lol

cary smith wrote:

Soooo, now we know your secret. You told that boxy thing with a lens that it was at THE GRAND CANYON and it rose to the challenge!!! AND for every scenic shot you tell the camera where it is with a little "you can do it" pep talk!!!!

Lol. Something like that... You should have seen what a c#@ppy job it did the other day when we were only doing a cat in the backyard...

You give way too much credit to that boxy thing with a lens. It did not have to perform at -100 C, nor in a vacuum on the moon.

I was thinking about its performance compared to other cameras I've owned. How it 'handles' detail through distance & haze, demanding DR, low light & odd WB. I like it so much I am starting to anthropomorphize it. Glad you noticed

Thanks Cary,

-- hide signature --
Bright Angel Veteran Member • Posts: 4,854

Good work Sir.

gefrorenezeit Contributing Member • Posts: 564
Re: Thanks Andy... Color saturation and the camera

CamasJC wrote:

gefrorenezeit wrote:

A bit too hefty procesed colorwise - but thats just my taste.

I know what you mean and appreciate the feedback. Actually... after pre-processing the raw files in ACR (histogram optimization) I found that I had to tone down the color quite a bit. That red Arizona sandstone really intensifies at sunset. If you google "Grand canyon/images" you will be amazed at how many evening shots seem oversaturated, especially on the red channel. (Which, IMO, some of them really are.)

I surely take your word for that since i have never been there.

Otherwise just breath taking shots - it is not the cam which is doing so well!

Thanks. Seriously though, I (still) have my old D200 and love it for what it can do (or perhaps I keep it for the memories) but I just know it couldn't handle this subject anywhere near as well as the D700.

Yes, the D700 class cameras are milestones in my eyes - my D700 is really liberating since i am shooting many portraits with AL under any conditions. The RAW files are a pleasure to work with - thy do remember me as it was with RAWs out of my Hassi DBack i once owned.....;)

Andy

-- hide signature --

whatever you do - do it with passion.

http://www.gefrorene-zeit.de

gefrorenezeit's gear list:gefrorenezeit's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
papparazzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,997

CamasJC wrote:

Absolutely amazed how this camera handles the immense scale of such a subject and the challenges that come with it...

That is some serious images..BUT you could do the same thing with my 5D (i)...:P

-- hide signature --
 papparazzi's gear list:papparazzi's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D +10 more
CamasJC
Thanks Mark (nt)
-- hide signature --
CamasJC
Thanks Diego (Did you just mention the C__ word??? :-)

papparazzi wrote:

That is some serious images..BUT you could do the same thing with my 5D (i)...:P

Thanks. No doubt other cameras can produce similar or better results. I am not saying D700 is better than anything else out there, only that it is a classic, milestone 'package' I believe the whole Nikon FX family is having a similar impat as (in their day) the Canon AE-1, Nikon F3, or even the classic Leica rangefinders.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Rad Dad Regular Member • Posts: 180
Angle of View

Hi, J.C.

I, too, have the D700 and the 24-70. Recently, because I do a lot of landscape shots, especially when travelling, I have been checking out the 14-24 in great depth, no pun intended.

The 24-70, on an FX body, has a maximum angle of view of 84 degrees, while the 14-24 has a max of 114 degrees. This is quite a difference.

Beyond admiring the breathtaking scenery in your shots, I have tried to discern an appreciable difference between the angles of view between the two lenses, but have not been able to do so. Granted, the distance of the horizon may play a part in the visualization, as may a large structure in the foreground, as in #1. I have tried to use the cloud formations as a guide, as well.

Am I missing something, or should I get my glasses checked?

Thanks. Rad Dad.

Rad Dad's gear list:Rad Dad's gear list
Canon ELPH 300 HS Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D40 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
CamasJC
Re: Angle of View

Rad Dad wrote:

Beyond admiring the breathtaking scenery in your shots, I have tried to discern an appreciable difference between the angles of view between the two lenses, but have not been able to do so. Granted, the distance of the horizon may play a part in the visualization, as may a large structure in the foreground, as in #1. I have tried to use the cloud formations as a guide, as well.

Am I missing something, or should I get my glasses checked?

Greetings and thanks for writing. I presume you mean 'angle of view' as defined here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view Frankly I have no idea how I'd go about estimating that by looking at photographs of unfamiliar subjects that are far beyond my reach.

The best way to compare lenses for AOV would be to photograph the same subjects from the same point, and then compare the images side by side. Obviously I have no such photographs since I was there to capture my subjects as well I could, not to compare lenses. My rule of thumb is simple... if it doesn't fit, go wider In actual usage, yes, the difference between 24mm and 14mm is quite significant as you might expect. And the further away you are from your subject the more significant it becomes

Would I recommend the 14-24 for coverage and quality? Let me put it this way: if you like the 24-70 you will absolutely love the 14-24. Obviously at the 14mm end there is some geometric distrotion but that is easily correctable in post. Considering the cost, my best advice to you would be to rent a 14-24 for a day and see if the extra coverage & wider perspective is worth it to you.

I hope this helps (?)

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads