Firmware 1.0.9

Started Nov 2, 2009 | Discussions
mhw New Member • Posts: 20
Firmware 1.0.9

Hi, anyone here whose 7D came already with firmware 1.0.9 out of the box experience any AF problems? My theory is that those with 1.0.9 preloaded have newer production cameras and these do not have the AF issues people have been discussing.

Feedback is appreciated.

mhw's gear list:mhw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D +15 more
wwlee Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Firmware 1.0.9

mhw wrote:

Hi, anyone here whose 7D came already with firmware 1.0.9 out of the box experience any AF problems? My theory is that those with 1.0.9 preloaded have newer production cameras and these do not have the AF issues people have been discussing.

Feedback is appreciated.

mine 7 d came with firmware 1.0.9 no AF problems. i have tried for 2 weeks all fine very well focus and clear..

Clark666 Senior Member • Posts: 1,280

I have had no af problems with the 1.0.9 upgrade. I use the 2x converter, 135mm f2, 70-200 f4 IS, 10-20mm Sigma, EF 28-90mm

I do notice really slow autofocus when taking photos outside at night, but the camera does still autofocus. It seems to take almost a minute though.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75673106@N00/

Clark666's gear list:Clark666's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX10 III Canon 6D Mark II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
OP mhw New Member • Posts: 20

Just to clarify, I am not asking those who've upgrade from 1.0.7 to 1.0.9 whether they've had autofocus issues. I am trying to determine whether those with cameras which were already 1.0.9 new out of the box have any of the autofocus issues being discussed. The theory is the cameras preloaded with 1.0.9 are later production batches and therefore may have had the autofocus issue addressed on the factory line.

mhw's gear list:mhw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D +15 more
rndman Senior Member • Posts: 1,595

My second 7D came with 1.0.9 preloaded.

The initial two tests shot were waay OOF. I then did hard reset and it seems good now.

Some vague samples here if you wish, just to get an idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rndman/sets/72157622705434158/

mhw wrote:

Feedback is appreciated.

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
kitmos Regular Member • Posts: 470

That's annoying. I just picked up a 7d from Best buy on Thurs and it's 1.07.

cm71td Regular Member • Posts: 464
Mine came with 1.0.9 and works great

Also, after reading all the auto-focus commotion here, I tested the micro-adjustments. Both my lenses are right on.

I'm curious if the focus problems are limited to the first batch as well. You may want to change your subject line to something like "Please respond if you have focus problems AND your 7D came with 1.0.9".

bobkeenan
bobkeenan Contributing Member • Posts: 714

Mine came with 1.0.9 and I had the intermittent AF problems. Did all sorts of micro adjust stuff, tried the hard reset... but in the end I got about 50% OOF...... for some reason mostly on my 17-55mm but I saw the OOF on all the other lenses. The camera is now at the Canon repair facility.

bobkeenan's gear list:bobkeenan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Hendrik123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,555

i understand what you mean..but no .canon addressed the AF issue by providing a new firmware 1.0,9 so the newer cameras got the new firmware so no prorblem there...the older cameras when upgraded the problem was solved.

canon does not test and calibrate af before each camera leaves canon.

mhw wrote:

Just to clarify, I am not asking those who've upgrade from 1.0.7 to 1.0.9 whether they've had autofocus issues. I am trying to determine whether those with cameras which were already 1.0.9 new out of the box have any of the autofocus issues being discussed. The theory is the cameras preloaded with 1.0.9 are later production batches and therefore may have had the autofocus issue addressed on the factory line.

which best buy must be a location where there is not a lot of demand...2 weeks ago i got mine from a rural area north of Los angeles and it was 1.0.7...although is other areas if available they were already 1.0.9

kitmos wrote:

That's annoying. I just picked up a 7d from Best buy on Thurs and it's 1.07.

Re: Mine came with 1.0.9 and works great

it was in most cases ..thats why canon released a new firware to address few af problems..

cm71td wrote:

Also, after reading all the auto-focus commotion here, I tested the micro-adjustments. Both my lenses are right on.

I'm curious if the focus problems are limited to the first batch as well. You may want to change your subject line to something like "Please respond if you have focus problems AND your 7D came with 1.0.9".

mac43rn Regular Member • Posts: 337

Nope, I have the 1.0.9 firmware I am still having issues. I own:

Canon 40D
Canon 5d mkII
Canon 7d

Here is a photo I captured at my son's flag football game using a canon 40d with a Canon 300 F4 L IS. One of the sharper lenses I have in my bag.

Here is a couple photos I captured of my daughter using my 5d mk II with a 70-200 f4 IS. This is the type of photo I expect out of my lenses ad camera bodies.

Now, here is the typical photo I am getting using my 7d. These pictures were very basic. Taken on a tripod

and now the same picture but via a screen capture to show you the red focus point.

another example (again I am using a 7d with the 300 f4 IS, a very sharp les

Here is one showing the same picture above but with focus points implanted.

I am not here to bash, but as you can see I have two perfectly working bodied but I really like the features tat are offered from the Canon 7d, but if I can't get sharp photos that is going to be a problem.

Again, I am not here to bask just trying to get a resolution to my problem. Personally, I think I have a dud on my hands.

and the same pic showing the focus point.

garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,675
Re: Mine came with 1.0.9 and works great

There was no indication from Canon that 1.09 addressed AF issues. And lots of people did the firmware upgrade with no change in their AF issues.
--
Gary

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D X Sony a99 II Sony a9 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,675
My 2nd 7D came with 1.09 and it's fine.

At least I think it is after a week. I exchanged my first one at Best Buy, by the way, a week ago Saturday.

The problem is that the AF on my first unit was only inconsistently bad - good batch, good batch, all FF, good batch, all FF, etc. So I'm not really confident yet. So far, though, no problems on the 2nd camera.
--
Gary

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D X Sony a99 II Sony a9 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
SpartanWarrior
SpartanWarrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Re: My 2nd 7D came with 1.09 and it's fine.

I just got my 7D today now charging the battery, but mine is a 1.07 firmware and once the battery is charged I will add the new firmware, but can some one explain how to do the hard reset?
--

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
headroom
headroom Regular Member • Posts: 483

My 7D bought in Switzwerland 1 Week ago, came with 1.09 and I see no problems so far.

Very happy with the Body. AF works finally precisly with Sigma 2.8 24-60 mm. AF inconsistent Problems also solved from the supersharpTamron 2.8 70-200 DI. Could easy manual focus Indoor with Zeiss 2.0 100mm and 3.5/4.0 40-580mm. Bright day outside works with MF Sigma APO 4.5 500 mm when the sujet has some Contrast, with 2x Convertor Liveview needed. Only one little sad point the Viewfindergrids have always the same pattern, thougt its possible... And what is really really exciting Video is 20% less compressed the the 5DMkii. My Macbookpro 2.4 Dualcore 2 could play it smoth. G5 2.0Ghz Dual little stuttering.

headroom's gear list:headroom's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +33 more
Steven Sterne Contributing Member • Posts: 960
Mine came with 1.07 and it works fine

So do not assume that yours has a problem.

Steven Sterne's gear list:Steven Sterne's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +14 more
gilbertmartin Regular Member • Posts: 242

Both batteries out (the backup as well), then in the menue reset to default after some minutes (around 15 minutes i believe is fine)

crazybadger Senior Member • Posts: 1,394
Re: Mine came with 1.07 and it works fine

Steven Sterne wrote:

So do not assume that yours has a problem.

Same here. Got one of the first batches and have been very impressed so far.
Cheers Mike

crazybadger's gear list:crazybadger's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +3 more
jh2bh Contributing Member • Posts: 523
A False Assumption

I think that you are making a false assumption when you think that all cameras that are received by the purchaser with the newer firmware came off "the factory line" with it installed. It is possible, indeed likely, that as soon as 1.0.9 was ready all inventory in the pipeline had it put into them before final delivery to the customer.

I know for a fact that some retailers have done this in the past with previous models. If people are going to circulate such unfounded, speculative theories on the internet why wouldn't Canon, a distributor or a retailer make sure that every body going out to a customer has the latest firmware?

Your underlying proposition - that there was an AF flaw that needed a hardware, or production level, fix as opposed to a firmware update - is something else again. Where did that notion come from?

mhw wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads