Tokina 50-135 F2.8 discontinued

Started Oct 29, 2009 | Discussions
Bill English Regular Member • Posts: 227
Tokina 50-135 F2.8 discontinued

I just confirmed with Tokina USA that the 50-135 F2.8 in both Nikon and Canon mount has been discontinued.

I had an order in with B&H which was cancelled. When I could not find the lens for Canon mount after numerous calls to other dealers, I called Tokina USA.

Tokina USA confirmed that the lens in both Canon and Nikon mount has been discontinued.

moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242
Re: Tokina 50-135 F2.8 discontinued

Bill English wrote:

I just confirmed with Tokina USA that the 50-135 F2.8 in both Nikon and Canon mount has been discontinued.

I had an order in with B&H which was cancelled. When I could not find the lens for Canon mount after numerous calls to other dealers, I called Tokina USA.

Tokina USA confirmed that the lens in both Canon and Nikon mount has been discontinued.

Did they give a reason? Do they have a replacement model planned? Any effect on the availability of the Pentax version of this lens (DA* 50-135) ?

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Richard G T Senior Member • Posts: 1,673

I suspected this. Look for them to reintroduce this lens with an in-the-lens focusing motor. I hear the weakest link in this lens was the slow focus. That should now be improved. If so I'll get a new one. Great lens otherwise.

Richard
--
Equipment: 1 camera, 1 lens, 38 years
http://www.pbase.com/rgthompson

OP Bill English Regular Member • Posts: 227

When I spoke to the USA distributor , they said they had no information on what if anything would replace the lens.

All they told me was the lens in both Canon and Nikon mount had been discontinued. They did mention they would continue to offer warranty and service on the lens.

Catallaxy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,724

I hope you are right Richard. I love my Tokina 50-135. I only have one real gripe about this lens.The focus speed is just a little slower than I would want (D90 body).

I imaging that the lens would focus faster on bodies (like the D300) that have bigger motors.

However, if they re-introduce this lens with faster focus (with or without motor), I would really love that.
--
Catallaxy

FuzzTheKingOfTrees Contributing Member • Posts: 733

Richard G T wrote:

I suspected this. Look for them to reintroduce this lens with an in-the-lens focusing motor. I hear the weakest link in this lens was the slow focus. That should now be improved. If so I'll get a new one. Great lens otherwise.

I'm not so sure, if they just wanted to introduce a new model with a motor I can't see why they would withdraw the Canon mount since that already has a motor. You've got to think therefore that we're talking about possibly a new lens with a new optical layout or new coatings. I would imagine Tokina would also take the opportunity to add a motor to the Nikon version.

I guess it's possible that they've developed either an optical stabilisation unit or some form of sonic motor.

Looleylaylow
Looleylaylow Regular Member • Posts: 291

Does anyone have an experience with Tokina's micro-motor? Is there reason to believe that it's faster and more accurate than their screw-driven lenses? That certainly hasn't been the case with Tamron's motor.

I think many people would be attracted to an updated Tokina 50-135mm that had a removable tripod collar, so perhaps a revised version would address that. Better resolution on the long end couldn't hurt either--sharpness at full telephoto seems to be a weakness of both this lens and its Sigma cousin.

Looleylaylow's gear list:Looleylaylow's gear list
Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Nikon_Kyo Regular Member • Posts: 380

I wish the replacement is something like a 50-150mm f/2.8 with a VR and faster focus. I was thinking on whether getting the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 or the Tokina 50-135 f/2.8. Seems like the Tokina is sharper but slow focusing and I heard so many mix reviews about the Sigma. If they make a new Tokina 50-150mm f/2.8 VR and faster focus, I will definitely get it.

Nikon_Kyo's gear list:Nikon_Kyo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +20 more
Craig365 Forum Member • Posts: 58

I'll be watching this with interest. Almost bought the 50-135 on a few occasions.

MagicNikon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,445
Re: What a great, inexpensive, underrated lens...

I hope they improve upon it's design. It's a winner for sure.

heulwen
heulwen Regular Member • Posts: 277

That's a shocker. I do hope they have something up their sleeves because this is definitely one wonderful lens, although very underrated. The Tokina equalent to VR would be great, that's really the only problem I have with it, it is hard to get non-blurred pictures at 135mm, even in just slightly dimmed light conditions. I'll keep my eyes on this situation for sure.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brightdawns/

heulwen's gear list:heulwen's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +3 more
E man Regular Member • Posts: 150

Didn't they announce a replacement for their 80-400 with some form of VR? I know someone posted about it, but can't remember if it was real or not. If it was, why not put it in this lens too?
--
When you turn your camera on, does it return the
favor?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads