G11 Case from Tamrac - Perfect Fit

Started Oct 28, 2009 | Discussions
In Search of Light Regular Member • Posts: 107
G11 Case from Tamrac - Perfect Fit

If all you want is a case that holds & protects your G11, this one might fit the bill:

Tamrac 5689 Pro Compact Digital
http://www.tamrac.com/5689.htm

I got it yesterday and love it. Don't plan on carrying many accessories in this bag, but if you want the most compact case for your G11, this one is great.

-- hide signature --

Always searching for that one perfect picture...

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902
Re: G11 Case from Tamrac - Perfect Fit

That's what I'm using, too. Holds only the G11 plus Op-Tech wrist strap, but a perfect fit and quick on and off my belt with Velco beltloop.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 7D, 40D; G11, SD700IS; Panasonic LX3, ZS3/TZ7
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://philwheeler.net

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Sony RX10 IV Panasonic ZS100
Brian Gill Forum Member • Posts: 86

I just got the same case today, and it is indeed a good fit for a G11. One question, though: what is a Velco beltloop? The built-in beltloop on the case requires unbuckling my belt to put the case on and off, which isn't ideal. Does a Velco beltloop solve this problem?

PC Wheeler

Brian Gill wrote:

The built-in beltloop on the case requires unbuckling my belt to put the case on and off, which isn't ideal. Does a Velco beltloop solve this problem?

Not on mine. Here's a close up of the belt loop on my Tamrac 5689.

-- hide signature --

PC Wheeler wrote:

Brian Gill wrote:

The built-in beltloop on the case requires unbuckling my belt to put the case on and off, which isn't ideal. Does a Velco beltloop solve this problem?

Not on mine. Here's a close up of the belt loop on my Tamrac 5689.

Fascinating--apparently Tamrac has two different versions of the 5689. The belt loop on mine has no velcro--it is permanently sewn to the case on both ends.

PC Wheeler

Brian Gill wrote:

Fascinating--apparently Tamrac has two different versions of the 5689. The belt loop on mine has no velcro--it is permanently sewn to the case on both ends.

Sheesh: I thought all belt cases had Velcro or snap (or both) belt loops these days.

I wonder if you got an older version?

-- hide signature --

PC Wheeler wrote:

Brian Gill wrote:

Sheesh: I thought all belt cases had Velcro or snap (or both) belt loops these days.

I wonder if you got an older version?

Doesn't appear to be an older version--packaging on it is copyright 2009. Very odd.

PC Wheeler

It is strange. I have a variety of Tamrac cases, most for smaller cameras (SD700IS, Fuji F31fd, etc.). The older ones have Velcro plus a snap at the bottom and the newer ones have the overlapping Velcro arrangement in the photo above.

My other belt cases are LowePro and they just have a very hefty Velcro loop.

Unfortunately I can find no information of this topic at the Tamrac site.

-- hide signature --

dadof4 Regular Member • Posts: 113

Just got the Tamrac T Series 5292. The belt loop is sewn in with no velcro. The G11 fits perfectly in the case with room for the neck strap folded up on top. It has a small pouch on the front which can easily hold a spare battery and memory card. No doubt it is a little bigger than the Tamrac 5689 but it is comfortable when attached to my belt.

OP In Search of Light Regular Member • Posts: 107

Mine has the same Velcro belt loop as PC Wheeler's... weird that your's is different Brian.

-- hide signature --

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 525

PC Wheeler, or anyone else who has this case as well:

I was wondering if you could do me a favor? This idea occurred to me this morning, and I was wondering if you could entertain it for me:

When I travel, I do not like bulky, swinging cases hanging from me. Part of it is the fast pace that I like to move, and also the military man in me prefers to have bodily attachments secured very tightly to me as I move.

So, would it be possible to see how the 270EX flash fits inside the same case?

The idea was to have two cases on your belt loop adjacent to each other, one for the camera, and one for the flash. To me, it seems to be the best way to carry the two while always on the go.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

I'm a 22 year old cadet ready to graduate and serve as a platoon leader in the US Army that has an extremely voracious apetite for backpacking and adventure. I am also finally feeding my passion for photography while working on the fluency of my two languages other than English: Spanish and Arabic.

Bump. i still want an answer to this before it becomes lost in the depths of this forum.

-Heie
--

I'm a 22 year old cadet ready to graduate and serve as a platoon leader in the US Army that has an extremely voracious apetite for backpacking and adventure. I am also finally feeding my passion for photography while working on the fluency of my two languages other than English: Spanish and Arabic.

OP In Search of Light Regular Member • Posts: 107

Heie,

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying you want to use two of the same Tamrac 5689 bags side by side? One for the camera, and another one for the flash?

-- hide signature --

Thomas Leimbach Regular Member • Posts: 323
Perhaps a slight improvement to this case.

I also have the case ( Tamrac 5689 ) discussed in this thread for my G11 and agree that the fit is good.

The only other things I like to carry with my camera is a spare SD card and battery. The SD card fit fine, but I was a little disappointed that there did not seem to be room enough for the spare battery. Here is what I did.

I cut a 3¼"x 2¼"x 1" thick piece from a sponge. That piece fits perfectly in the bottom of the case, with still enough room for the case cover to be closed while the G11 was in the case.

From the bottom of that piece of sponge, I cut out a notch that was the same size as the spare battery. This worked fine since the battery is approximately 2¼ " long. If you place the battery on a surface like a desk, and place the fitted piece of sponge on top of it, the battery cannot be seen from the top view.( only the battery ends, along the 3¼" sides )

Now the battery sits on the very bottom on the case, and that piece of sponge straddles or "bridges" over the battery. There is more than a quarter of an inch of padding ( sponge) between the battery and the camera body. In addition, the cover closes just fine.

Admittedly the battery is a little "buried" at the bottom of the case, but it's not that difficult to get to when needed.

I didn't mean for this to become so complicated. I hope I was able to state this idea so it could be understood.
--
Hanagan

That is correct. Or if the flash is slightly smaller, then use a 1-2steps smaller in the tamrac series of cases.

Like I said, I prefer to have things tight to my body as I move, rather than a dangling camera bag that bounces/gets caught on stuff/is just plain annoying as I hike.

It would have the effect of placing multiple Gerbers/Leathermans on your belt side by side (just obviously a little bigger)

In Search of Light wrote:

Heie,

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying you want to use two of the same Tamrac 5689 bags side by side? One for the camera, and another one for the flash?

-- hide signature --

I know I'm being a pain with bumping this, but it keeps getting buried before being seen by those that can help.

Thanks
--

D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,179
Great battery idea

Thanks!
Simple and good.

DaveL
G11

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828
rennie12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,844
I really wanted this case but need to see the belt loop ->

the size and placement of this is important to me. And I see there are at least 2 descriptions in this series, - what do they do, flip a coin ?

I went to the Tamrac company site. No joy. And the web site is so poorly designed - I mean it is year 1995 style - terrible searching, unintuitive, - they obviously simply don't care. Too big to care I guess.

Since I live in the end of nowhere in Idaho USA I have to buy by mail.

The website was so offputting I will research other cases at some length - which is a shame. But, as I say, Tamrac obviously doesn't give a care about what or if they sell anything. Bad sign, I think.
--
Bill Wilson

Grobb
Grobb Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

IMO, the Mountainsmith Cyber II Recycled - Medium Compact Camera Case is the perfect high quality case available. The internal dimensions are exactly 5' x 2' x 3'

http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=217&categoryId=13&subCategoryId=12&subCategory2Id=

They are sold all over, ebags, Amazon, WalMart, ect... They are very durable, Water resistant, inexpensive and will protect the G11 extremely well.

Kodakrom2 Junior Member • Posts: 26

I'm leaning toward the Mountainsmit Cyber II, but concerned that the closing mechanism may be only velcro, given the images I've seen on their website). Can anyone pliease tell me if the main opening of the pouch is closed only by a buckle that clicks, by a zipper or only by velcro. (The image shows a zipper that seems to be on the side.)

tron555 wrote:

IMO, the Mountainsmith Cyber II Recycled - Medium Compact Camera Case is the perfect high quality case available. The internal dimensions are exactly 5' x 2' x 3'

http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=217&categoryId=13&subCategoryId=12&subCategory2Id=

They are sold all over, ebags, Amazon, WalMart, ect... They are very durable, Water resistant, inexpensive and will protect the G11 extremely well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads