Third Party Batteries -- Concerns/experiences?

Started Oct 25, 2009 | Discussions
Larry251 Contributing Member • Posts: 632
Third Party Batteries -- Concerns/experiences?

What is the feeling about the safety of third party batteries. Cost at Amazon for a NB-6L is about 1/5 of the price of the Canon branded battery.

Larry251's gear list:Larry251's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
jmagru
jmagru Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Third Party Batteries -- Concerns/experiences?

I've read nothing but good things in forums about SterlingTek batteries over the years:
http://sterlingtek.com/canbbaparefo.html

I'm going to get a SterlingTek for my new G11, rather than a no-name generic (which might or might not be reliable and safe) or a Canon brand. The link above is for a 1200 mAH battery. Sterling Tek also sells 1000 mAH versions for your camera. I always go for the higher milliamp-hour version.

RKral Regular Member • Posts: 392

Not sure how relevant, but FYI on my SD series cameras I've always bought generics off EBay and never had a problem. Each battery I've bought, therefore, has been about $2 each. At that price I buy lots of them and have spare ones everywhere, the glovebox, carry bags, backpacks etc etc...thus I can never forget one (or more accurately, I always forget them but they are always with me!!). I can't state how comparable the charge is, but it's enough at this price. This is for SD series.

Karl R. Josker
Karl R. Josker Contributing Member • Posts: 944

I have no concerns regarding third party batteries. I have been using them since 2000, and they always outlast the camera; that is to say, i replace the camera with a newer model way before I wear out the battery.

I have ordered many batteries from orphanbiker on eBay, and have always been satisfied. He's at http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Battery-Merchants__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Karl R. Josker's gear list:Karl R. Josker's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
nicolaim Regular Member • Posts: 100

Karl R. Josker wrote:

I have no concerns regarding third party batteries. I have been using them since 2000, and they always outlast the camera; that is to say, i replace the camera with a newer model way before I wear out the battery.

I have ordered many batteries from orphanbiker on eBay, and have always been satisfied. He's at http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Battery-Merchants__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I've also been very satisfied with batteries from that seller. Lately, however, he doesn't seem to have batteries with as much capacity (mAh) as some competitors.

In general, I haven't done any quantitative comparisons of my many different Canon vs generic batteries, but the differences must have been small enough that I didn't notice any in my normal usage.

I recently ordered two 1200 mAh NB-6Ls from a Hong-Kong eBay seller for around $8 shipped (total for both.) At these prices the Canon batteries would have to be significantly better to make them worth their price...

Mike G. Senior Member • Posts: 1,276

I have had good results with Lenmar batteries for Canon purchased on Amazon for about $12.00 Lenmar is a US company that has been around for many years, that makes aftermarket batteries for lots of products, including cameras. From my experience, they make a quality product.
http://www.lenmar.com/Web/Main.aspx?MenuID=2
Good luck,

Mike

OP Larry251 Contributing Member • Posts: 632

Thanks. Looks like I would be throwing money out if I didn't go the third party route. I take it from these posts that it's also fine to get a higher capacity battery than what came with the camera? (this only makes sense, but I don't know much about lithium batteries).

Larry251's gear list:Larry251's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
Anthony McCallister Contributing Member • Posts: 909
No difference...

I bought some from Hong Kong. I received 3 batteries for what I thought was the price of one. Shipping was in 3 days.
--
Mac

RKral Regular Member • Posts: 392

Larry251 wrote:

Thanks. Looks like I would be throwing money out if I didn't go the third party route. I take it from these posts that it's also fine to get a higher capacity battery than what came with the camera? (this only makes sense, but I don't know much about lithium batteries).

I always buy the highest capacity battery I can find available, on ebay. Personally I kind of feel sorry for anyone who buys the name brand and the lower capacity ones! (Though they might have piece of mind. Me? I wouldn't hesitate).

Chip00 Contributing Member • Posts: 510

I have had good experiences with non Canon batteries.

Ort New Member • Posts: 9

I bought a fake NB-4L and it pooped out on me after about a year. Your milage may vary.

It was so cheap though, that I still feel like I got a good deal.

Honestly, I never even come close to running out of batteries. I don't think I'll ever be buying extra batteries ever again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads