Windows 7: Boxed version

Started Oct 25, 2009 | Discussions
Timzee Contributing Member • Posts: 981
Windows 7: Boxed version

If I purchase the boxed version of Windows 7 Ultimate to install on a newly formatted HD, obviously the install can't verify any existing OS. In that case does it simply ask for the serial number from the last version of XP (or Vista) you owned?

SkyShoot2 Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: Windows 7: Boxed version

boxed version(not upgrade or OEM), not ask from previous products s/n's.
and upgrade version, not provide ways to enter legacy products s/n, manually.
you NEED have previous OS, installed, in case of UPGRADE version, used.

Dave Derrig Forum Member • Posts: 66

I had a beta version of windows 7 running (that was installed while I was running vista ultimate 64bit). I Purchased the upgrade windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, downloaded it and then removed the hard drive running the beta version. I then installed a new Hard Drive and was able to boot from the DVD I made from the download and Install a clean copy on my new Hard Drive. It worked perfect and never to my surprise did it ask me to pop in my Vista DVD to prove it was a legit upgrade!

Windows 7 is slick, good job MS!

Doug R Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
No you don't NEED a previous os installed.

Why the need to misinform when a solution has been offered?
--
Doug

jpegman
jpegman Contributing Member • Posts: 836

Dave Derrig wrote:

I had a beta version of windows 7 running (that was installed while I was running vista ultimate 64bit). I Purchased the upgrade windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, downloaded it and then removed the hard drive running the beta version. I then installed a new Hard Drive and was able to boot from the DVD I made from the download and Install a clean copy on my new Hard Drive. It worked perfect and never to my surprise did it ask me to pop in my Vista DVD to prove it was a legit upgrade!

Windows 7 is slick, good job MS!

Does your PC only have 1 hard drive?

Sounds like you had one with Vista 64 and a second hard drive where you installed Win7 beta version, which you then replaced with new hard drive and then loaded Win7 ultimate from your Ultimate upgrade DVD, while the 2nd hard drive containing Vista 64 was still mounted - Is this correct?

Or, does you PC only have 1 drive mounted at a time - initially Vista 64, replaced by Win7 Beta, then finally replaced by Win7 Ultimate upgrade?

Jpegman

Jpegman

jpegman's gear list:jpegman's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
Dave Derrig Forum Member • Posts: 66

I have multiple hard drives but the drive I removed is the drive that had vista on it and had installed win 7 beta over that (By the way the beta was not a clean install of the beta, just upgraded right on top of vista). The just relesed version was installed on a brand new 300GB WD Raptor with the old 150GB Raptor completely out of my system.

Dave

rbmphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,571
Thanks!

Am hoping to do the same thing this week, and didn't know if it would work or not.

SkyShoot2 Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: No you don't NEED a previous os installed.

hm, seems MS support misinform me in similar case[of troubles].
good reason to fill complain ticket[4me].

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads