Richard Franiec S90 Grip

Started Oct 25, 2009 | Discussions
Don Ellis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,762
Richard Franiec S90 Grip

Richard is now making a Custom Grip for the S90 -- details and photos at
http://www.kleptography.com/rf

My first post in this forum about the G9 Grip -- before I knew Richard -- was two years ago, in November 2007:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=25596817&page=1

I looked for his website and found he didn't have one, so I created a page on my website because I liked his products so much. I receive no commission, which could be one of the reasons the DPreview moderators have been kind enough to let me post occasional announcements about new components.

For the record, I originally bought the G9 Custom Grip, Black Ring, Hot Shoe Cover, and Cable Release Adapter. Then I bought all those things for my wife's G9. And most recently I bought the Sigma DP2 Custom Grip and the Cable Release Adapter (a real work of art).

So I'm just a satisfied customer passing along some news. Again, thanks to DPreview for allowing me to mention these things.

Cheers,
Don

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Re: Richard Franiec S90 Grip

Looks a little lighter than the body, but otherwise perfect. Glad it's no deeper than the lens.

Will be ordering one. Many thanks for the head's up, and another big THANKS to Richard!

Don Ellis OP Veteran Member • Posts: 3,762
Re: Richard Franiec S90 Grip

theranman wrote:

Looks a little lighter than the body, but otherwise perfect. Glad it's no deeper than the lens.

Will be ordering one. Many thanks for the head's up, and another big THANKS to Richard!

It's just a photo in marginal light. Richard is a craftsman... my DP2 grip matches my DP2 camera body perfectly. I would be surprised if the same were not true for the S90 grip.

You might want to look at the other photos on his page... there are 25 in all. If nothing else, you'll see how much the photos vary.

Cheers,
Don

theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Re: Richard Franiec S90 Grip

Just checked 'em out again.
Like I said, It's not that big a deal.

Graystar Veteran Member • Posts: 8,373
Re: Richard Franiec S90 Grip

Nice pic! You should enter that into the "Sexy" challenge!

.

CanonPhotog Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Don - a question

Any chance that he will ever produce the G9 cable release again? I never knew it existed until now, when I saw your site.

I have all his other G9 accessories, and am more then pleased with them. The release would be an amazing addition to my little cam.

B

Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,527
Re: theranman

theranman wrote:

Looks a little lighter than the body, but otherwise perfect. Glad it's no deeper than the lens.

Will be ordering one. Many thanks for the head's up, and another big THANKS to Richard!

The finish and texture of the grip matches the matte center of the lens and retractable lens cover because it looks the best in such combination.

Light is reflected differently from semi glossy surface than from the matte one, creating the effect, but if you turn away from the direct lighting, everything return to the same black.

Best

Richard

 Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,527
Re: Don - a question

CanonPhotog wrote:

Any chance that he will ever produce the G9 cable release again? I never knew it existed until now, when I saw your site.

I have all his other G9 accessories, and am more then pleased with them. The release would be an amazing addition to my little cam.

B

Hope, Don won't mind my answer to your question.

Unfortunately, G9 cable adapter has been discontinued awhile ago. Current demand for this accessory cannot support making another batch of parts, sorry.

Maybe someone would be willing to part with his/her if they don't use it anymore.

Best

Richard

 Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
pupgirl Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: theranman

Thanks for info! Richard I'll be ordering the S90 grip..does the hot shoe cover you have for the G9 fit the G11? If not will you offer one for G11? Many thanks

Paul Marbs Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: Don - a question

I had the G9 and grip and found to it be beyond perfect to carry around all day. What I loved about it though was the knurling. Does the S90 not need the knurling?

-- hide signature --

I support my growing camera collection through this website.

If you find my comments as helpful as a book you might have had to buy or a workshop you may have had to take, feel free to help me continue helping everyone.

It's great people like you who allow me to keep adding to this site full-time. Thanks!

If you haven't helped yet, please do, and consider helping me with a gift of $50.00.

CanonPhotog Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Straight from the source ;)

I don't mind at all Richard, and appreciate you for taking the time to answer on your own behalf. Thank you for clarifying. Wish I had known about the cable release while it was still in production.

B

Richard Franiec wrote:

CanonPhotog wrote:

Any chance that he will ever produce the G9 cable release again? I never knew it existed until now, when I saw your site.

I have all his other G9 accessories, and am more then pleased with them. The release would be an amazing addition to my little cam.

B

Hope, Don won't mind my answer to your question.

Unfortunately, G9 cable adapter has been discontinued awhile ago. Current demand for this accessory cannot support making another batch of parts, sorry.

Maybe someone would be willing to part with his/her if they don't use it anymore.

Best

Richard

Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,527
Re: Don - a question

Paul Marbs wrote:

I had the G9 and grip and found to it be beyond perfect to carry around all day. What I loved about it though was the knurling. Does the S90 not need the knurling?

-- hide signature --

I support my growing camera collection through this website.

If you find my comments as helpful as a book you might have had to buy or a workshop you may have had to take, feel free to help me continue helping everyone.

It's great people like you who allow me to keep adding to this site full-time. Thanks!

If you haven't helped yet, please do, and consider helping me with a gift of $50.00.

S90 grip effectiveness depends on ergonomic shape rather than texture.

It guides the middle finger along the S curve, which concave shape provides superior comfortable hold.

When carrying S90 around (with wrist strap, of course), one can barely hang the camera on the fingertips using grip and thumb hook, instead of being forced to squeeze it in case of "naked" cam as illustrated here: http://picasaweb.google.com/RichardFraniec/2009_10_24?authkey=Gv1sRgCLHz1931ruaN2AE#
For the long run such arrangement leads to a lot less fatigue.

Another aspect for this particular grip design was to blend it with delicate lines of S90, while G7/9 having more industrial look, were better suited for finish such knurling.

Cheers

Richard

 Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,527
Re: theranman

pupgirl wrote:

Thanks for info! Richard I'll be ordering the S90 grip..does the hot shoe cover you have for the G9 fit the G11? If not will you offer one for G11? Many thanks

The G and P covers work fine with G11

Cheers

Richard

 Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
theranman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,228
Re: theranman

Richard Franiec wrote:

theranman wrote:

Looks a little lighter than the body, but otherwise perfect. Glad it's no deeper than the lens.

Will be ordering one. Many thanks for the head's up, and another big THANKS to Richard!

The finish and texture of the grip matches the matte center of the lens and retractable lens cover because it looks the best in such combination.

Light is reflected differently from semi glossy surface than from the matte one, creating the effect, but if you turn away from the direct lighting, everything return to the same black.

Best

Richard

Is it even possible to match the grip color perfectly to the BODY of the camera, instead of the retractable lens cover? Or does the technology prevent that? Just curious. I'd have thought that a perfect match to the body would be preferred, but I'll defer to your mastery.

Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,527
Re: theranman

theranman wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

theranman wrote:

Looks a little lighter than the body, but otherwise perfect. Glad it's no deeper than the lens.

Will be ordering one. Many thanks for the head's up, and another big THANKS to Richard!

The finish and texture of the grip matches the matte center of the lens and retractable lens cover because it looks the best in such combination.

Light is reflected differently from semi glossy surface than from the matte one, creating the effect, but if you turn away from the direct lighting, everything return to the same black.

Best

Richard

Is it even possible to match the grip color perfectly to the BODY of the camera, instead of the retractable lens cover? Or does the technology prevent that? Just curious. I'd have thought that a perfect match to the body would be preferred, but I'll defer to your mastery.

Yes, it is possible to match the finish very closely, and in fact, the prototypes were made in both types of finish.

The matte finish in case of S90 was a clear winner for overall appearance of the cam with the grip.

Up close and personal the combo looks a lot more attractive, than my mediocre pictures could suggest LOL.

Cheers

Richard

 Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
Paul Marbs Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: Richard Franiec S90 Grip

Don / Richard,
Is this grip machined or some sort of cast?
--
I support my growing camera collection through this website.

If you find my comments as helpful as a book you might have had to buy or a workshop you may have had to take, feel free to help me continue helping everyone.

It's great people like you who allow me to keep adding to this site full-time. Thanks!

If you haven't helped yet, please do, and consider helping me with a gift of $50.00.

RKral Regular Member • Posts: 392
Re: Richard Franiec S90 Grip

Knowing this grip will be available makes me want to purchase the camera MORE.

I think it elevates the entire product into something even more desirable.

Canon went with simplicity which I thought I would like, yet when I first encountered the camera, the bland front actually turned me off a bit, not to mention the non-functionality that it was kind of slippery.

Excellent improvement to the product, masterfully done.

Is the price released?

Ted Weller Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: Richard Franiec S90 Grip

Yeh, click on this link http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#ordering and it will take you to Richard's site. The price is $32.95 + $3.00 shipping. Expected ship date is Nov. 15th.

 Ted Weller's gear list:Ted Weller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Ted Weller Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: Richard Franiec S90 Grip material composition

Hi,

Richard responded in reference to the below with the following information regarding the casting of the S90 grip as follows:

“For all who want to know.

S90 grip is CNC machined from solid block of aircraft grade aluminum alloy.

This process takes several steps from roughing to finishing.

Here are links to randomly taken shots explaining the process better than words:

http://picasaweb.google.com/RichardFraniec/2009_10_14?authkey=Gv1sRgCJmUsr-Fg4Te4wE#

http://picasaweb.google.com/RichardFraniec/2009_10_16?authkey=Gv1sRgCKGbyvH35PXC7AE#

Sorry for poor image quality.

Cheers

Richard”

Paul Marbs wrote:

Don / Richard,
Is this grip machined or some sort of cast?
--

 Ted Weller's gear list:Ted Weller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Don Ellis OP Veteran Member • Posts: 3,762
Re: Don - a question

Paul Marbs wrote:

I had the G9 and grip and found to it be beyond perfect to carry around all day. What I loved about it though was the knurling. Does the S90 not need the knurling?

Richard has already answered while I was asleep, but I'll toss in my own experience. I have the G9 Grip and it's great, but I found with the DP2 Grip, which is similar to the S90 Grip, that the knurling isn't necessary. Not only do you have a good handhold, but the cameras are much lighter in weight -- plus they look better without knurling.

At one point I put some non-slip tape on the DP2 grip but removed it after handling the camera for 30 minutes -- it's not necessary.

Cheers,
Don

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads