most compact case for G11? PSC-5100?

Started Oct 22, 2009 | Discussions
Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914
most compact case for G11? PSC-5100?

Yet another case thread: I'm trying to figure out what would be the most compact case for the G11. I have the Japanese leather case for my G10 and it works well, but I'm not crazy about that kind of case with a folding LCD. I don't need storage for anything except the camera strap. This would be for my purse, so I don't need any kind of belt loop.

I was wondering if the PSC-5100 would be the one to try, or if there's a pouch from another maker that would be more streamlined?

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,902
Re: most compact case for G11? PSC-5100?

I like the Tamrac 5689. There's enough space at the top for the strap, too. Very good Velcro belt attach system.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 7D, 40D; G11, SD700IS; Panasonic LX3, ZS3/TZ7
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://philwheeler.net

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV
Teski
Teski Forum Pro • Posts: 13,060
The retro case like you have for your G10 is great...

I bought the G11 version and love it. Swivel LCD doesn't have a negative impact. Obviously you have to buy the G11 version. Here are some pics:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=33420090

-- hide signature --
 Teski's gear list:Teski's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Canon EOS-1D X Leica M Typ 240 Sony a7R II +8 more
iloco Regular Member • Posts: 310
Re: Loserpro G_Rez 10

I have been looking at the Lowepro G-Rez 10 at amazon. I am still on the fence about it. Anyone use this case for the G11....?

I am as you and only need some protection for the camera and it needs to be as small as possible.
--
iloco

John TF Senior Member • Posts: 1,362

I have the Tamrac 5689 too and like it. Couldn't possibly be more compact. Fits the G11 like a glove.
--
John TF

John TF's gear list:John TF's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more

How far down into the case does the camera go. Is the camera flush with the top or does it goe down into the case so as to be hard to grip and get out of the case.

John TF wrote:

I have the Tamrac 5689 too and like it. Couldn't possibly be more compact. Fits the G11 like a glove.
--
John TF

-- hide signature --

iloco

DavidPJ Forum Member • Posts: 87

I have the small Lowenpro Rezo 50 and the G11 fits snugly. It also has a small zippered pouch in front for a strap, etc.
--
Canon Powershot G11
Canon Powershot Elph SD890IS
Sony HDR-HC7 HD MiniDV Camcorder

infocus
infocus Regular Member • Posts: 217
Rezo 50 Works Well

I, too, have the Rezo 50. It's very compact. The camera fits snugly and as the previous poster said, there is a pouch in front where I keep extra SD cards and an extra battery.

infocus's gear list:infocus's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G1 X II Canon G1 X III
OP Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914

Thanks for all the suggestions. Teski, the case looks great on your camera, but during term time I often shoot a couple of photos to use for illustrations for something for my PSE class, then need to transfer those, and I'm getting tired of having to unscrew the bottom half of the case all the time with my G10, so I'd rather have something that comes off completely at once this time.

MarcosV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359
PSC-5100 vs Rez-10

I bought both the Canon PSC-5100 and the Lowepro G-Rez 10 (which seems to be only available at Amazon).

They both fit the most compact case category in that they just fit the camera without any sort of pouch for a spare memory card or battery (i.e., cases that have a front pouch with a flat that covers everything adds bulk.)

The PSC-5100 is more of a covering; when you carry it on around your neck/on your shoulder, you use the camera's neck strap. It looks the nicest of all case options: it's made of leather (or fake leather), the interior is lined with a nice black felt, and its flap has a magnetic clasp and so has the least bulk. I didn't like it at the end, because it also looks boxy and when I removed the camera from the case, I found I had to stuff the case somewhere else. You could put the case on a belt strap, but, the case's belt loop will eventually fail --- it doesn't look that strong. Also, I found the neck strap that comes with the camera to be a bit short for carrying the camera under an arm. The camera goes into the case bottom first (e.g., camera held landscape orientation) and the case is snug enough to require pulling both ends of the neck strap to get the camera out (pulling only one edge of the strap causes the camera to rotate, making it harder to remove from the case). Lastly, the PSC-5100 case has no room to stuff the neckstrap under the flap (which is what you want to do if you carry it on your belt).

The G-Rez 10 is made of nylon, has a plastic clasp (which adds a little bit to the bulk --- no zipper), and a belt loop (which is a lot more secure than the PSC-5100's). Its removeable should strap is adjustable and long enough so that I can comfortable carry the bag under my arm and allows me to carry the case easily with the camera out. Since there's no zipper, I can pull the camera out easily. There's a little room under the flap to stuff the camera's neckstrap, but, it's awkward --- you have to take the time to neatly fold the strap and then hold it down with the case's flap. The camera goes into the case along one edge (i.e., the case holds the camera in the portrait mode orientation). The G-Rez 10 is perfect if you prefer holding the camera with a wrist strap attached rather than the neck strap. You'd just let the wrist strap hang out and can quickly pull the camera out or put it back in the case.

Since neither case has a zipper, these cases won't protect the camera from the elements. The PSC-5100 has a big cut outs for the neck strap to stick out.

I considered the Tamrac 5689. It had the least bulk of all, but, no shoulder strap. It's essentially a skin. It does have enough room to stuff the camera strap into it quickly.

The Tamrac 5693 holds a few things in the front pouch, but, looks too bulky.

The Lowepro Apex 60 AW looks very promising. Detachable shoulder strap. Can easily stuff the camera into it. Weather covering. I'd probably have bought it if I didn't decide to carry the G11 with a wrist strap most of the time.

The case I plan to buy next is the Lowepro Apex 100 AW. This case should just big enough to carry the G11 with a compact flash (Sunpack RD2000).

MarcosV's gear list:MarcosV's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
Re: PSC-5100 vs Rez-10

Thanks you helped me make up my mind about the Lowepro G-Rez 10.

I am ordering today. I need a small case to protect just my camera only. I do use a wrist strap so it can hang on the outside of the case.

I ride a Goldwing Motorcycle and in the front I have a small compartment that is just big enough for a small camera and a shell of a case. If I can put my camera in that compartment and don't have to get off the bike to take pictures if I need to grab a quick shot of something. Very helpful information.

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

I bought both the Canon PSC-5100 and the Lowepro G-Rez 10 (which seems to be only available at Amazon).

They both fit the most compact case category in that they just fit the camera without any sort of pouch for a spare memory card or battery (i.e., cases that have a front pouch with a flat that covers everything adds bulk.)

The PSC-5100 is more of a covering; when you carry it on around your neck/on your shoulder, you use the camera's neck strap. It looks the nicest of all case options: it's made of leather (or fake leather), the interior is lined with a nice black felt, and its flap has a magnetic clasp and so has the least bulk. I didn't like it at the end, because it also looks boxy and when I removed the camera from the case, I found I had to stuff the case somewhere else. You could put the case on a belt strap, but, the case's belt loop will eventually fail --- it doesn't look that strong. Also, I found the neck strap that comes with the camera to be a bit short for carrying the camera under an arm. The camera goes into the case bottom first (e.g., camera held landscape orientation) and the case is snug enough to require pulling both ends of the neck strap to get the camera out (pulling only one edge of the strap causes the camera to rotate, making it harder to remove from the case). Lastly, the PSC-5100 case has no room to stuff the neckstrap under the flap (which is what you want to do if you carry it on your belt).

The G-Rez 10 is made of nylon, has a plastic clasp (which adds a little bit to the bulk --- no zipper), and a belt loop (which is a lot more secure than the PSC-5100's). Its removeable should strap is adjustable and long enough so that I can comfortable carry the bag under my arm and allows me to carry the case easily with the camera out. Since there's no zipper, I can pull the camera out easily. There's a little room under the flap to stuff the camera's neckstrap, but, it's awkward --- you have to take the time to neatly fold the strap and then hold it down with the case's flap. The camera goes into the case along one edge (i.e., the case holds the camera in the portrait mode orientation). The G-Rez 10 is perfect if you prefer holding the camera with a wrist strap attached rather than the neck strap. You'd just let the wrist strap hang out and can quickly pull the camera out or put it back in the case.

Since neither case has a zipper, these cases won't protect the camera from the elements. The PSC-5100 has a big cut outs for the neck strap to stick out.

I considered the Tamrac 5689. It had the least bulk of all, but, no shoulder strap. It's essentially a skin. It does have enough room to stuff the camera strap into it quickly.

The Tamrac 5693 holds a few things in the front pouch, but, looks too bulky.

The Lowepro Apex 60 AW looks very promising. Detachable shoulder strap. Can easily stuff the camera into it. Weather covering. I'd probably have bought it if I didn't decide to carry the G11 with a wrist strap most of the time.

The case I plan to buy next is the Lowepro Apex 100 AW. This case should just big enough to carry the G11 with a compact flash (Sunpack RD2000).

-- hide signature --

iloco

Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,360
A couple more cases

For my purse and for camera only, I use the Op-tech Small Wide Body Pouch. There's no room to store the strap; it hangs out of the pouch.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/293074-REG/Op_Tech_USA_6401164_Small_Wide_Body_Pouch.html

I also have a small Sony Cybershot case LCS-CSD. That one has room for camera and strap in its main compartment, an extra battery in the first zippered front pocket and a 2nd zippered pocket for a few cards. It is bulkier than the Op-tech case.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-LCS-CSD-Carrying-Compatible-Cybershot/dp/B00022VZ0K

-- hide signature --

Olga

Re: A couple more cases

I looked at the opt-tec bag and didn't order because of the dimensions that showed for it.
Are you saying it will fit the G11. If so I would be very interested in it.

Olga Johnson wrote:

For my purse and for camera only, I use the Op-tech Small Wide Body Pouch. There's no room to store the strap; it hangs out of the pouch.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/293074-REG/Op_Tech_USA_6401164_Small_Wide_Body_Pouch.html

I also have a small Sony Cybershot case LCS-CSD. That one has room for camera and strap in its main compartment, an extra battery in the first zippered front pocket and a 2nd zippered pocket for a few cards. It is bulkier than the Op-tech case.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-LCS-CSD-Carrying-Compatible-Cybershot/dp/B00022VZ0K

-- hide signature --

iloco

Re: PSC-5100 vs Rez-10

Thanks very much. You're the first person I've seen who's actually used the PSC-5100 case. That's a nice detailed comparison.

Thanks, Olga. Is the camera totally covered with the Op-tech case? In the photo it looks like there are openings between the top and the body of the pouch.

Conchita wrote:

Thanks, Olga. Is the camera totally covered with the Op-tech case? In the photo it looks like there are openings between the top and the body of the pouch.

No, the camera isn't completely covered. There is an opening on the left and right. But it's protected enough to be in a purse without adding weight due to the case.

-- hide signature --

Olga

It does not completely cover it when buckled, as I described in my message to Conchita. If I needed something to completely cover it, I would go for the Lowepro G-res 10 (the model that Amazon sells.)

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-G-Res-10-Camera-Pouch/dp/B001LK8PUK/

iloco wrote:

I looked at the opt-tec bag and didn't order because of the dimensions that showed for it.
Are you saying it will fit the G11. If so I would be very interested in it.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Thanks. I'd be more concerned about all the fluff and such that propagates at the bottom of a purse getting into the case than about bumps and such.

stevelilly
stevelilly Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Lowepro Apex PV AW

I use the lowepro Apex PV AW...

Room for the camera, extra battery, strap, card and has the all weather cover and velcro belt strap.

-- hide signature --

When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. - Ockham's Razor Principle

http://digitalman.smugmug.com/

stevelilly's gear list:stevelilly's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +1 more

Thanks Olga for your information on cases. I ordered the Lowepro Rez-10 from Amazon a couple hours ago.
--
iloco

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads