7D 1.0.9 Firmware Broke Flash?

Started Oct 20, 2009 | Discussions
charliewhiskey New Member • Posts: 7
7D 1.0.9 Firmware Broke Flash?

So I installed the 1.0.9 firmware on my 7D tonight and now the built in flash won't pop up when I press the flash button. It was doing it just earlier this evening before I installed the update. Anyone else notice the same issue. Or did my flash break and it's just a terrible coincidence?

Everything else on the camera seems to be working fine (pics, vid, playback, etc.)

Robert J. Atwell Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: 7D 1.0.9 Firmware Broke Flash?

Just updated my 7D and the flash pops up at the touch of the flash button.
--
Sincerely,
Bob

dscott Regular Member • Posts: 146

I did the firmware update on my onboard flash pops up. Sorry to hear about yours.

merlin2375 Forum Member • Posts: 99

I upgraded to 1.0.9 and my flash works fine.

You can press the lightening bolt in P/Tv/Av/M/B modes. If you are in full auto, it will pop itself if it feels like it.

Elisha New Member • Posts: 20

Go in to the menu and make sure Flash is enabled first or else even pressing the Flash button won't release it.

OP charliewhiskey New Member • Posts: 7

All's well. I found that the little spring that pushes the hot shoe detector was stuck down. Must have gotten stuck while I was playing with my new Rode video mic tonight. I popped it up and the flash is working again. I just happened to install the Rode after I installed the new firmware. A bad coincidence indeed.

Hendrik123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,555

if all the tips mentioned above try to restart your camera by shutting off the camera and take out the battery for a min ..and see after that if the problem is still there

charliewhiskey wrote:

So I installed the 1.0.9 firmware on my 7D tonight and now the built in flash won't pop up when I press the flash button. It was doing it just earlier this evening before I installed the update. Anyone else notice the same issue. Or did my flash break and it's just a terrible coincidence?

Everything else on the camera seems to be working fine (pics, vid, playback, etc.)

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,110

charliewhiskey wrote:

I found that the little spring that pushes the hot shoe detector was stuck down. Must have gotten stuck while I was playing with my new Rode video mic tonight.

If it happens again, get Canon to fix it while under warranty.

-- hide signature --

Phil .. Canon EOS 7D, 40D, 20D; G9, SD700IS; Panasonic LX3, ZS3/TZ7; Fuji F31fd.
http://www.pbase.com/phil_wheeler
http://philwheeler.net

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100
pacone New Member • Posts: 13

Hi, I realise you did find your fault, however just to let others know I have noticed if the camera is in CA mode, and the flash is turned off there, then you are unable to raise the flash at all, even with the flash button.

mark currier Senior Member • Posts: 1,452

stand on one foot while breathing into a paper bag...

problem solved 8 posts ago. doesn't anyone read before jumping in with both feet and advice?

rant(?) off

-- hide signature --

Mark Currier

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads