I did a wedding...

Started Oct 19, 2009 | Discussions
evan631 Senior Member • Posts: 1,201
I did a wedding...

A friend of mine asked me to take pics at his wedding. There were two of us, both hobbyists. Neither of us shot a wedding.

Let me tell you...it was tough. All the running around, people not cooperating, Bright sunny day (mid-day and later), then during ceremony...the sun was setting out on the vineyard.

I should point out the other person with me has the family portraits, bride getting ready etc. He was the best man, so he was not able to shoot everything.

Anyhow...I would like some C&C on my results. I have all the worthy photos here: http://evan631.zenfolio.com/p534923513 . I dont expect to look at them all (over 260), if you dont mind browse through and let me know what could have been done better.

Shot using the D90, 16-85VR (lost my lens hood during the day), SB600 (with and without stofen omnibounce).

Thanks in advance and thanks for looking.

-- hide signature --
1PhotoFan Contributing Member • Posts: 997
Re: I did a wedding...

I think that you did great! Your exposures and focus are spot on. I think that you are definetly on the right track.

Thanks for sharing,
Dale

-- hide signature --

Living the dream ... cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Rick Sellick Regular Member • Posts: 199

For a first timer I think you did a very credible job of capturing the day and the participants. My recommendation to you would to you would be to do research of wedding photographers sites to pick up some of the less candid but more traditional wedding shots to add them to your wedding photos the next time around.
--
Rick Sellick
http://www.pbase.com/ricksel/

Rick Sellick's gear list:Rick Sellick's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8800 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Cedarhill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,638

I think that was an outstanding first effort. I noticed a couple of things that haven't already been mentioned as suggestions. 1) watch your framing. There were several shots where the subjects feet or legs were cut off. It would be better to include a little too much of the scene and then crop in post processing. 2) You need to use bounce flash. A lot of the photos exhibited very harsh shadows due to direct flash that would have looked better with indirect lighting. If you don't have a flash that will bounce, you really need one.

All in all, a very worthy effort and one your friends ought to be happy with.

OP evan631 Senior Member • Posts: 1,201

Thanks for the comments all! As for the bounce flash...well it was not the greatest venue to bounce flash. The ceremony was outside...not an easy task to bounce with out add-ons for the flash.

Inside...we were in a barn like structure...extremely high ceilings and wood.

What would you suggest for bouncing in these conditions?

Personally i don't think i will be shooting any more weddings, but if i had another to do, i will take your suggestions with me.
--
Evan
------------------------------------
http://www.evan631.zenfolio.com
http://www.pbase.com/evan631

PhotoLeon1935 Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

You did well for a first time, in fact you did very well. Do some more. The adrenalin rush and stimulation is very rewarding.

For many families this is the best opportunities to get family groups together. Draft a deputy from major family groups and let them help you to call out the family groups. This will encourage people to be there and request pictures beyond what you would normally put in an album.

For close family groups I gift an album and a dozen large prints to the couple and make up the costs by selling extra prints to family members. This makes you a pro.

With a name like Avedon you have a legend to live up to.

http://www.pbase.com/photoleon/weddings

Album cover---->

Gregory J McConville Regular Member • Posts: 370

This is totally Monday morning quarterbacking, but here you go.

1. 3156 made up for any first timer errors.

you nailed it.

Also, the flower girl and ring boy are incredibly beautiful young people. There are one or two where you nailed the girl, and maybe one where you nailed the boy. Next, the draft horses. I don't know what else you could have done with them, because they could have stolen the show.

The bride is gorgeous. The groom married up, for sure. On her best day, Sofia Loren was not that beautiful.

There were at least a couple of the bride that spoke of utter joy. If I didn't know better, I would say she had certain feelings that she was sharing with the photographer. You may have untapped skills there that you are not yet aware of. But I don't know. Every man wants several women, at least, to feel that way about them.

I really enjoy your work. I'm sure you know for next time that you need to not chop off the feet and to center the shot in the frame and so forth.

And I think if you are being paid for your work, or if the wedding party expects quality, you should yell at them to follow your instructions. Marriage is serious business, and the images are forever. They need to pay attention.

I want to see your next wedding.

greg

Peter_Chicago Regular Member • Posts: 465

Pictures look amazing. Keep up posted with any new projects.

chris33 Contributing Member • Posts: 642
Congratulations!!!....

... to a phantastic job!

Rarely have I had the patience to go through such a huge amounts of pictures but this was truly a pleasure!

What amazes me in particular (except from the beauty of the bride is that SHARPNESS you have in almost every picture!

How did you manage that??

All the best!

Chris

evan631 wrote:

A friend of mine asked me to take pics at his wedding. There were two of us, both hobbyists. Neither of us shot a wedding.

Let me tell you...it was tough. All the running around, people not cooperating, Bright sunny day (mid-day and later), then during ceremony...the sun was setting out on the vineyard.

I should point out the other person with me has the family portraits, bride getting ready etc. He was the best man, so he was not able to shoot everything.

Anyhow...I would like some C&C on my results. I have all the worthy photos here: http://evan631.zenfolio.com/p534923513 . I dont expect to look at them all (over 260), if you dont mind browse through and let me know what could have been done better.

Shot using the D90, 16-85VR (lost my lens hood during the day), SB600 (with and without stofen omnibounce).

Thanks in advance and thanks for looking.

spacenuke Junior Member • Posts: 42

Wow these are really nice and certainly reinforces the point that you don't need pro equipment to shoot good pictures. Congratulations and keep it up!

spacenuke's gear list:spacenuke's gear list
Nikon D70 Olympus PEN E-P2 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more

Thank you once again to all for all your comments and suggestions.

-- hide signature --
WineO Veteran Member • Posts: 4,321

Very well done for a first timer. It looks like you have some post processing work to do in order to improve framing and to remove some shadows in some of the pictures.
Claude

With a name like Avedon you have a legend to live up to.

Ahhh...you noticed that! Actually it is a different spelling. The best part is my father shares the same name....Richard. He used to get a lot of comments about that.

-- hide signature --
Re: Congratulations!!!....

What amazes me in particular (except from the beauty of the bride is that SHARPNESS you have in almost every picture!

How did you manage that??

I used the 16-85VR. I also used some sharpening in CS4.
--
Evan
------------------------------------
http://www.evan631.zenfolio.com
http://www.pbase.com/evan631

WineO wrote:

Very well done for a first timer. It looks like you have some post processing work to do in order to improve framing and to remove some shadows in some of the pictures.
Claude

Unfortunately i already did my post processing...hehe. I suppose i can always go back and redo.

-- hide signature --
mraines New Member • Posts: 16

fantastic!

BlazerFan Regular Member • Posts: 356

Evan, I think your photos are great. I've also shot a few family weddings, pretty nervous times. Keep up the good work.
--
Just MASH that shutter button.

BlazerFan's gear list:BlazerFan's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +7 more
Cookster670 Contributing Member • Posts: 850

Really nice work there. Lots of great shots.

I think there were some situations where you could have used your SB600 more as their were a few shots where the sky was blown out. Having said that, given the speed that a wedding happens and how it can be difficult to plan and change settings, I think you've done a great job
--
Nikon D80. Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 28-200, SB600

Cookster670 wrote:

Really nice work there. Lots of great shots.

I think there were some situations where you could have used your SB600 more as their were a few shots where the sky was blown out. Having said that, given the speed that a wedding happens and how it can be difficult to plan and change settings, I think you've done a great job

thanks guys!

You are right about the speed of the wedding! It was tough. I wish they would slow things down for the photographer. I definitly see the need for multiple photographers.

-- hide signature --
Night Sevens New Member • Posts: 17

Your photographs are good and for me DSC_3243 does it, nice and sharp, clear.
Father and daughter I'd assume.....Just what you would want on the fireplace.

Believe it or not I'm comparing your first wedding, amateur, free? ( D90+16/85) My daughter's wedding photos+video for which I paid £1600. Proffesional ?
Canon 50D Lens 10/?
Put the pictures on his website only viewable at 6/4 and no proofs.

Of the 434 pictures on show, I would have deleted 234 without a second thought. ( and I am not a photographer)
Bad groupings, heads obscured by flowers, hats, you name it!

18 pictures of family groups inside church were taken close up at 10/20 mm settings and were so wide angled that the slim bridesmaids all looked size 14.
Some of which he even invited us to bend forward........wow, even fat faces.

Managed to get enough photos for an album but while my daughter was delighted, I felt badly let down by a "pro" whos photos were not a patch on yours.

My eldest daughter's photographer had two cameras round his neck with different lenses whereas this guy only had one, so it could have been worse!

Well done on your first shot.
My advice is to keep at it and be bold and command your audience.

You only get one shot at it so get your photos and don't worry about the guests, they can snap away later.
You are the photographer so grab your target and get them to look at you!
Your bridal couple will thank you for it when they see the album.

Our "pro" seemed more interested in letting the guests take photos instead of saying "ME FIRST "
Ever notice how smiles fade on a succession of photos.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads